A-4 Skyhawk Single Type Group Build

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got decals for Aggressor 54 in three shades of green rather than Aggressor 55 with the lizard like green and grey camo that I'd hoped to do originally.

At least masking won't be such a problem :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok have got myself sorted for this build and decided what to build.

As usual I will be doing something a little bit different and will be bring a bit of :bling: to the build!

this is going to be the baby.......

3d0350f7-ad87-46bb-ace0-6a879d1e92a1_zps

The RNZAF 50th Anniversary TA-4K, this was special one off to celebrate the RNZAF's 50th birthday in April 1987.

This whole build idea started after seeing a review on the decals, so after a bit of research and hunting I tracked down some 1/48th decals and a 1/48th Classic Airframe TA-4J for the base. It'll need a few mods done to bring it up to "Kahu Upgrade" TA-4K shown in the picture, which will include scratch building a "glass" cockpit. Think I also have to hunt around for some 150gal drop tanks as well, have heard the Red Roo ones arn't the best, but will get some and see.

My only reservation with this build will be getting the colour right, as it was a custom colour, may have to play mad scientist for this!!

• Like 1

Ok have got myself sorted for this build and decided what to build.

As usual I will be doing something a little bit different and will be bring a bit of :bling: to the build!

this is going to be the baby.......

3d0350f7-ad87-46bb-ace0-6a879d1e92a1_zps

The RNZAF 50th Anniversary TA-4K, this was special one off to celebrate the RNZAF's 50th birthday in April 1987.

This whole build idea started after seeing a review on the decals, so after a bit of research and hunting I tracked down some 1/48th decals and a 1/48th Classic Airframe TA-4J for the base. It'll need a few mods done to bring it up to "Kahu Upgrade" TA-4K shown in the picture, which will include scratch building a "glass" cockpit. Think I also have to hunt around for some 150gal drop tanks as well, have heard the Red Roo ones arn't the best, but will get some and see.

My only reservation with this build will be getting the colour right, as it was a custom colour, may have to play mad scientist for this!!

56 was still pre Kahu in 1987 when painted in the gold anniversary scheme. Technically it was still a G model, being one of the ex RAN aircraft purchased in 1984. You wont need to update it to Kahu standard for this scheme.

Thanks Phil you're a life saver, the only cockpit photo I have is with the panel being pretty bare so was a bit hard to tell.

I am away with work at the moment so have just been grabbing all the info I can find to help pass the time, so I have to admit I hadn't really started reading up on everything yet. Got lots of reference material so now have to start reading up.

Though the Kahu Mod info won't go astray as I do want to build one late model A-4K. Got to see them arrive in NZ (along with the Vampires departing) but I left in the late 70’s so only remember them in their original config, use to spot them regularly flying over Feilding.

Thanks Phil you're a life saver, the only cockpit photo I have is with the panel being pretty bare so was a bit hard to tell.

I am away with work at the moment so have just been grabbing all the info I can find to help pass the time, so I have to admit I hadn't really started reading up on everything yet. Got lots of reference material so now have to start reading up.

Though the Kahu Mod info won't go astray as I do want to build one late model A-4K. Got to see them arrive in NZ (along with the Vampires departing) but I left in the late 70’s so only remember them in their original config, use to spot them regularly flying over Feilding.

Although I'm currently living in Auckland, I used to live in Feilding and own a house there.

Although I'm currently living in Auckland, I used to live in Feilding and own a house there.

I feel sorry for you! ;)

I still have memories of riding to school in the middle of winter there....though summer wasn't much better. Sometimes as a treat or punishment we'd got to Foxton beach! :D

I lived there for 11 years, did pretty much all my schooling at, Lytton St, and FAHS.

56 was still pre Kahu in 1987 when painted in the gold anniversary scheme. Technically it was still a G model, being one of the ex RAN aircraft purchased in 1984. You wont need to update it to Kahu standard for this scheme.

"56" indeed! She was N13-154912 881 until you lot got a hold of her.

A very nice aeroplane (first one I flew in) and very poor form dumping her in the Indian ocean.

If you are using CA kit number 4147, the tail top needs to be altered as per the K model, this was done between the handover and the repainting. I believe the colour used was called 'Benson and Hedges Gold' I have no idea what the FS, BS or RAL number was :winkgrin:

I'm going to do the same machine but before the re-paint using the same kit so hopefully we will help each other avoid any issues. :thumbsup:

If you are using CA kit number 4147, the tail top needs to be altered as per the K model, this was done between the handover and the repainting. I believe the colour used was called 'Benson and Hedges Gold' I have no idea what the FS, BS or RAL number was :winkgrin:

I'm going to do the same machine but before the re-paint using the same kit so hopefully we will help each other avoid any issues. :thumbsup:

Coool.

Hopefully the tail mod will be the only major one, I know there are a few little extras that need to be done.

The Paint colour is a bit of a worry, will have to experiment.

I need all the help I can get sometimes! :D

Hi,

I'm in with the Airfix A4-B starter kit. I had a £5 voucher code for Argos so it ended up being £1.88 with free postage! :clap2: I'll be building it OOB but needless to say I don't think I'll be using the glue, paint and brushes that were supplied. ;) I'll be finishing the kit to represent BuNo 142833 (kit decals) as exhibited in the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.

I said no more group builds but as I have the Airfix kit and the Xtradecals to go with it I've got no excuse not to really... ...count me in too!

I'll be looking to do the VC-5 jet from Xtradecal 72180.

Wez

Edited by Wez

• 3 weeks later...

Would Alcad Pale Gold be right, doesn't look to far from the right colour to me

I don't have any experience of Alclad pale gold so I can't say. The thing I've noticed about '56 is that the various photos show a different colour each time depending on light, reflection, make of film, film speed ,etc but it not a dark or 'brassy' gold.