Whereabouts of the Special Hobby 1/48 Bristol/DAP Beaufort?

RAL

Did a little digging and got to the special hobby website tonight and sent them a message asking if they have any plans to release a 48th scale Beaufort so hopefully I will get an answer as to whether it is worth holding my breath.

Curiously my Special Hobby kits give the website cmkkits,com but there is no suitable email contact apart for enquiries about orders. But if you go to www.specialhobby.eu there is an enquiry form under "contact us". Perhaps the more messages of interest they receive the better the chance of the kit appearing.

Edited by Beardie

Nice find, Mr. Russell! Is the author/ publisher printed on the plans, or can you say where you purchased the plans? Perhaps they are still available...

Regards, Robert

Walked that path already I have!

I don't know about anybody else, but my display space is already overflowing with 1/48 models with many more to be built. I have no idea where I could put one, not to mention a whole stash, of 1/32 completions. For me it's not about madness, just common sense.

But if you leave them as "stash" they stack just as easily as 1/48 kits- I should show this thread to my wife and argue that I am, in fact, applying common sense by not building them...

It's sort of like that famous scene in Crocodile Dundee- "That's not a Spitfire. THIS is a Spitfire!" Now, granted I'm waiting for the day when I can have my 1:1 Spitfire (FR.XIV, please). I don't care if I'm too old and feeble, not to mention untrained, to fly it, I can always just go hang out with it.

bob

p.s. Anyway, I'm reasonable about it- only sensible smallish things in the bigger scale. Except that Beau that was too much of a bargain to walk away from, and that...

• 3 weeks later...

Here I am comparing the plans above with an extant Beaufort fuselage which has been partially cosmetically restored inside.

21016220669_f0d899f773.jpg

There is a nose, some tailplanes, a rear fuselage and a centre section - enough to take some basic measurements of key dimensions.

20580343654_d0f9a5b5df.jpg

21203039935_74eb55ec3f.jpg

My conclusion is that the plans are quite accurate. However I can not, at this time, locate the copyright holder.

• Like 1

However I can not, at this time, locate the copyright holder.

What are you planning to do with them that would require licensing, out of interest?

My conclusion is that the plans are quite accurate. However I can not, at this time, locate the copyright holder.

Hi

Might they be the 1:32 drawings that came with an old I.D. Models vacuform, they look a similar style to the whirlwind ones i have.

Cheers

Jerry

They are original drawings. As far as I know they are not copied from anywhere.

I have no particular plans for them, apart from checking the accuracy of my own Beaufort kits.

After banging on for ages about the lack of drawings I felt I needed to note for the record that some do exist.

These are 1/32 drawings. I am trying to track down the copyright holder.

It looks to me like those drawings are of the Australian built Beaufort (judging by the tail). If these are original, then the copyright holder is DAP or their successor? Or do I have my leg before my wicket?

Cheers,

Bill

It depends on who drew it and under what circumstances.

By default, the copyright in a drawing rests with whoever did the drawing, or the party to whom they have assigned the copyright, not whoever owns what the drawing is of. Though if a drawing is done by an employee of a company as work for hire, i.e. as part of his actual paid employment, then the chances are that the copyright belongs to his employer.

If we are not careful now there will be several pages of people not understanding the difference between copyright, patent, trademarking and other elements of the rich and diverse ecology of global intellectual property law.

• Like 1

By default, the copyright in a drawing rests with whoever did the drawing

They were done by a member of a local model club, with whom we have lost contact. I believe he intended to make a 1/32 DAP Beaufort from scratch.

Or do I have my leg before my wicket?

Caught behind I think........ (:>)

the difference between copyright, patent, trademarking and other

Not relevant in this case I think

They were done by a member of a local model club, with whom we have lost contact. I believe he intended to make a 1/32 DAP Beaufort from scratch.

Caught behind I think........ (:>)

Not relevant in this case I think

Well, Ed if you do find him & can get clearance to share the plans, that would help a great many folks... personally, I'd rather not see another monstrosity like the Contrail kit.

Regards, Robert

• 1 month later...

There may (and I emphasise MAY) be a possibility of one from another source - see http://forum.aussiemodeller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11031. You'll have to work through the posts, as the thread isn't specifically about Beauforts. Note also that Martin hasn't given any definite commitment. He's only said that his company might consider doing one.

Interesting, list of upcoming kits, though I wonder about the choice of yet another MiG 25 so soon after Kitty Hawk just did one.. the MiG 31 was a good option considering one has never been done in 1/48 (the Lindberg kit doesn't count it is a caricature...)

Regards, Robert

• 6 months later...

Hello guys. I have always thought that the lack of a 1/48 Beaufort was inexpicable. It was a plane widely used in WW2, lot of versions and liveries to choose from, effective and also good looking to me.

I am working with some guys that are producing limited edition resin kits (ships so far but there are plans to build 1/48 planes as well) and we are seriously considering to venture ourselves in making a 1/48 Beaufort. It would be a "garage" production, this means resin of course, some modelling skills required to build the model, limited number of pieces and unfortunately a relatively high price.

My question is (I have read the whole thread but I am still a little bit confused): what would be the best reference to make this project (publications, books, drawings etc.) and where to get it?

Claudius

According to the Warpaint publication on my shelf there were no complete Beauforts to see when they went to press. There is no publication date however there is some information given that several recovered examples from New Guinea etc.were being worked on in Australia and the RAF museum have a near complete fuselage made of composite parts from several aircraft. Another owned by the Australian War Memorial is again made up of "bits" and as at 2003 there were restoration attempts under way both in Australia and Tennessee USA. Wonder what happened to them?

It might be worth a follow up there? I assume the RAF Museum would be the most local!

I gather the plans that are available might or might not be reliable. The Warpaint publication has a set of plans by Tim Brown. I cant say how good that book is as am not a Beaufort expert but someone will be along in a minute to advise better than I can.

might be worth investigating this project to get a Beaufort to fly again

http://www.beaufortrestoration.com.au/

Thanks, John. Very appreciated. Last night I managed to get a Warpaint publication. It is not bad as a starting point to begin the work. The fact that there are no surviving Beaus should not stop us. In my personal opinion (I am not a rivet counter), once you have the general dimensions and proportions correct you have a decent kit. It is up to the modeller to make little corrections should they be needed.

Excuse my awful English, guys...

The more I look at the Beaufort, the more I like it.... (even if I am a former Italian Navy officer and she hurt us a lot during WW2 :-) )

Thanks, John. Very appreciated. Last night I managed to get a Warpaint publication. It is not bad as a starting point to begin the work. The fact that there are no surviving Beaus should not stop us. In my personal opinion (I am not a rivet counter), once you have the general dimensions and proportions correct you have a decent kit. It is up to the modeller to make little corrections should they be needed.

Excuse my awful English, guys...

The more I look at the Beaufort, the more I like it.... (even if I am a former Italian Navy officer and she hurt us a lot during WW2 :-) )

Not sure about "No surviving Beaus" -

The one at the Australian War Memorial looks at least externally complete, if not a lot more...

I should get to Canberra and have a closer look at it.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL/20173/

Looks like its been in static restored condition since 2003....

http://www.beaufortrestoration.com.au/Pages/RestorationChild/AWM_A9-557.html

The one at Hendon looks pretty complete too.

http://plane-crazy.k-hosting.co.uk/Aircraft/WW2-Planes/Beaufort/beaufort.htm

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey

• 2 weeks later...

For Ed Russell: Any resolution to the plans sharing question? Certainly, plans that exist but are not published (shared) are of little use. If nothing else, perhaps you could locate some commonly available 3-views and check them against the plans for accuracy, as a starting point for the rest of the community.

R/ Robert

• Like 1