Vehicles that go with your aircraft

Scratchbuilder

Thanks Rik,

trouble is, in 1/48th scale, the average 15 foot long car would be over 10mm oversized. About 3mm undersize in 1/72nd compared to 1/76th. Placement in a photo can sort that out, but less so in a display you actually stand and look at. This silly discrepancy in scales shows only too well how there is little crossover between hobby branches. Only 1/32nd and 1/24th come together with popular car scales and aircraft. I think where we often see discussions about an aircraft being 2mm short, that we shouldn't then forgive a car that is over a centimetre too long!

But the ranges you mention are indeed very good. Vanguards are on the whole very nicely done too. The choice in 1/43rd die-cast cars is huge.

Lorries can be found in 1/48th, but are generally in w/m and rather expensive, although Corgi has a range in 1/50th, which is probably close enough to 1/48th to make no obvious difference.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Neat, I've read about Spitfires being used to tug gliders, but that's one of the best pictures I've seen of it!

I've got a few vehicles in 48th and 32nd with the intention of parking next to an aeroplane- "my" Airfix XK-E will go next to "my" Spit!

bob

A friend had a replica LM Spitfire built by Chris Alford, with the1147 engine on twin Webers and it would valve bounce at 7000 rpm! Went like a scalded cat. Very successful in sprints and hillclimbs.

I loved mine.

Martin

Mine knew it's own way to Bavaria, I think. Just as well the cruise control didn't work, I'd have fallen asleep. I could get in it in Norfolk and 800 miles later get out in lower Bavaria fresh as a daisy.

Great cars.

Does Lucy have doggy goggles and a leather helmet?

Martin

Nice Saab John !

I had the opportunity to buy a good second hand one with only 15k on the clock a few months ago but I was a bit wary about the fact that with Saab gone, service could have been an issue in the future. What do you think as an owner ?

To add a bit to the thread, I have somewhere a picture of a Rolls used by an RAF Squadron in the '50s, can't remember the details now but will try to dig the pic and post it

Edited by Giorgio N

Hasegawa has a BMW 327 together with dog and (! rare in this scale) a women in contemporary clothes. This kit is a bit pricy - who would have thought so of Hasegawa (Edit: it is available from an easy hobby mailorder shop for a very good price I think). There are also photo etch parts available for this.

Tamiya has some cars in 1-48 which can be easily used in civil livery: Citroen 11CV (I want to do a clandistine diorama together with a Lysander), VW Beetle and the US Army Staff car can be used as well.

And even the Italeri Opel Blitz could be used as civil lorry or maybe even the Tanker version for some airport diorama I suppose.

RPM does a Ford T which could be (I think so) used similar as the Opel Blitz. Maybe in a golden aera mail plane diorama. Hmm wait a minute - I like this idea... combined with a converted Roden Dayton build DH4.

So there a few options but: No sport cars and nothing post war. I have a dusty 1-43 scale cobra somewhere and put it just for fun next to a 1:48 scale Jet. It looked out of place. It is quite obvious that the Cobra was out of scale. In my eyes 1:48 civil cars are a market. But I would like to add that some more civil figures would help too in that case.

Edited by Caerbannog

The 9-3 is essentially a Vectra platform so general running gear isn't a problem, as my daughter knows, having a 9-3 diesel which is currently on 183,000 miles and running well.

Nice car, John, but white interior?? My grubby bottom would ruin it in no time!

Caerbanog, I'd be looking for English sports cars to go with a/c and there are none of those in 1/48th scale as far as I know. Renwall used to do an E-type, but long ago.

1/32nd is a more fruitful scale , with resin slot car bodies available for quite a few, but it's too big a scale for model a/c for me.

I can just get a 48th K5054 Spit on the shelf!

I'm sure airfield support equipment would sell, but not sure about ordinary cars in 48th as 43rd is so close and established as a collectors' scale.

Martin

1-48 ordinary cars would only be a niche market for sure. But there are more plane models in 1-48 than in 1-32, so unless you like to put a Supermarine Spit next to a Triumph one for exapmple it might get tricky to find something to combine (and you have to search for the Triumph Spit already...).

Just as you say: 1:32 scale planes are pretty big - especially when it comes to jet planes. I have ony three 1-32 kits (and a felt million of 1-48 and 1-72) also mainly because of the space issue. Still I can think of "ordinary" cars which might look interesting alongside a 1-48 scale plane model. A Saab 96 next to a Draken would look ... well not as if they were put into market the same year by the same company IMHO - but how many would buy one (well me probably... thats one).

A Cord next to some Cleveland racer like a Bee Gee (but here you are easily done in 1-32 scale)???

A Triumph Spitfire and a Jag E-Type are such british icons that they would certainly make a nice duo with some british jet and will be a rather good bet I suppose. A Mini as well. For size comparision :-D Yet there is no combination which would make me scream "WANT!!!" so the whole thing will become a price issue (low production number = higher price, higher price = lesser "want").

Agree - anything released in 1:48 would be interesting for aircraft modellers only but certainly not for the average car collector. But as mentioned here 1:43 is no option for aircraft modellers (about 13% too large) - so if you want to do some car modells for these (I maybe misunderstood you here) which nobody else offers than it is 1:48 cars.

Bottom line: Go ahead with the 1:32 XJ-13! I have no great idea either and my pocket money is fully planned for this year anyway :-D

Rene

Hehe, that little kite will NEVER lift that old barge!!

What a set-piece though, eh?

I really think 1/48th cars are a non-starter, unfortunately. I will do that little Special though in ali., as a set-piece.

Caerbanog. I can't think of a suitable aircraft for the XJ13 as it was only ever driven at MIRA by Norman Dewis. No airyplanes in view, alas.

Martin