Airfix new tool DH Vampire T11

BAC

Lovely models and so quickly made too, I don`t think he wants to tell us his secret, perhaps he doesn`t sleep and used incredibly fast drying paint?

I went to my local model shop on Sunday hoping to pick a couple of these up but they had not received any of the recent Airfix releases, another case of Southern England receiving new kits before the North maybe?

Really well done on a couple of really nice Vamps,

Cheers

Tony O

Mine had not arrived by Friday and I am definately South !!!...... the dispatch from Hornby is always a bit random and usually takes at least a week to get to all shops.....sometimes your first and sometimes last ...just luck of the draw ... :weep:

so give your local shop a bit of slack chaps ...

Regards Trevor ...:D

Thanks for the comments.

This kit is a cinch. The parts fit is very good no no time wasted filling or sanding. The canopies were masked with Maskol then the whole thing sprayed with white primer. Next the hi viz areas were masked out with tape and the airframe sprayed with rattle can silver. This dries quick and then those areas were masked and the yellow and orange areas airbrused and because these areas were white primed they didn't need too many coats to build up the colour. Lastly detail painting was brushed (u/cart, wheel wells etc) then finally decals applied. I did both at the same time which sped things up.

Cheers!

Lovely models and so quickly made too, I don`t think he wants to tell us his secret, perhaps he doesn`t sleep and used incredibly fast drying paint?

I went to my local model shop on Sunday hoping to pick a couple of these up but they had not received any of the recent Airfix releases, another case of Southern England receiving new kits before the North maybe?

Really well done on a couple of really nice Vamps,

Cheers

Tony O

had them in Modelzone in Meadowhall on Sunday, well there was one left and that went before my eyes, not too worried as it isn't my scale but even so I was tempted. The Spit XIX was a different matter though.

Faboulous builds BAC, and so quick.

Edited by Silver Fox

Wow, they look great, lovely finish and great masking!!

Cant wait to see the new Lightning!

cheers

Simon

Just realised my dad on my avatar is casually leaning on a vampire (not a 2 seater though!)

Edited by SimonR

They look very nice, come on Xtradecal let's have some more decals!!!

What a lovely pair! :bouncy: I guess you can sleep now.

Seriously, terrific job and, I suspect, the first of many we shall see gracing this site. As soon as my order arrives the first one from the box is mine and all other work is being put to one side for it.

Some lovely offerings in 1/72 by airfix ..the gnat, skyhawk and this....all look very tasty and you have done a great job on these vampires.....love the finish...really striking with the coloured panels....the pilots looks good too....

if i have not given on 1/72.... will be on this like a flash

rgds

mr b

Green with envy that you have got your hands on these already (and done such a great job) :jealous:

I am guessing it will be a while before they reach the antipodes.

Hannants or Hattons perhaps?

Trevor

Hannants or Hattons perhaps?

Trevor

There are a couple of model shops in Perth and surrounds that are pretty good at getting Airfix product in - eventually. I am hoping that they will get a reasonable number of these in (although for some reason I never saw the new tool Gnat over here). I would prefer to support them. Worst comes to worst I will try Lucky Model - being closer to us the postage is a good deal less.

There are a couple of model shops in Perth and surrounds that are pretty good at getting Airfix product in - eventually. I am hoping that they will get a reasonable number of these in (although for some reason I never saw the new tool Gnat over here). I would prefer to support them. Worst comes to worst I will try Lucky Model - being closer to us the postage is a good deal less.[/quote

Simon,

Don't be put off by the postage prices from the UK. Please do yourself a favour and go to ehattons.com. They are mainly a model train company from Liverpool, however stock all the range of Airfix models on offer. With the great exchange rate at the moment (and long may it last) they also deduct the VAT from the final price. If it's a Gnat your after you will pick this up for less than $A10.00 (most probaly $8.00-ish) including postage. They charge only GBP2.00 for Airfix series 1 kits and only GBP4-5 for most others. It really pays if you buy 2-3 kits at a time. I had 2 x Vampires on pre-order and was only charged $A21.00. I should have mine in about a week from now. My theory here is that you buy Asian manufacturer kits from Asia (Tamiya, Hasegawa - Hobbylink Japan) and Airfix from Hattons... Trust me on this one.. good luck.

Cheers.. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Great work (and quick). They look fantastic. I think I'll be acquiring a whole FTS of these. 2-seat Vampires have always rather appealed to me for some reason. I hope someone like Xtradecal do a sheet soon. Especially covering RAF, RN and Commonwealth schemes.

I think Airfix are to be congratulated on this choice. Looking forward to the Lightning.

Regards, Tim