Airfix SAM-2 Gudeline Missile

John

I was surprised to see this on a dealer's stand at a model railway and diecast swapmeet this afternoon - it would have been rude not to buy it! It even has the little decal sheet with protective greaseproof paper cover and the complaint slip.

Guideline1_zpsbd3971e9.jpg

Guideline2_zps28bcbdac.jpg

I haven't had one of these since it was originally issued.

John

• Like 1

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky sod! I remember having one first time round and have been on the hunt (unsuccessfully) recently.

Enjoy it, remember, it may be rare, but it's meant to be built!

• Like 1

I'd have bartered him down to a tenner(yes,I'm known to be frugal at times),

but well bagged indeed.

I've still got the instruction sheet for mine,the model must've gone in the late 70's,

probably pinched by my (then little) nephew to be "brummed" around the carpet.

I bet the poor thing didn't last long.

You lucky Bugger! Got to be the grail kit of many a collector. Wish I had kept mine from the 70s, I've seen them go for stupid prices on evilbay!

Nick

I wonder if Airfix still have the moulds for this? Given how rare the kits is the mould should still be crisp. Be great to see it re-released.

The mould is believed to have been destroyed

Trevor

Got mine many years ago via the ARC. It cost $15. The seller from the US was leaving the hobby and he had loads of oldies .. also got myself the the SR53, SRN1 hovercraft plus others (they are safely sealed and packed in plastic storage boxes.) Once in a while i'd open them for oogle a bit for some nostalgia .... then back to the stash.

I do remember missing out on one by just minutes ... apparently another fellow modeller from Malaysia got it ..never knew who that chap was ....

How accurate is this kit? Knowing the mistakes they made on the Bloodhound, I'm just wondering how or if they got this right or wrong, considering at the time they probably only had a few photos etc to work from.

Devilfish,

I can't speak for the missile and launcher but the tractor was undersized for 1/76 scale compared to detailed dimensions quoted in a Soviet source. The wheels were especially unconvincing as far as I remember and the tractor would be better replaced by one of the Eastern European Zil-157 kits. It's a long time since I last looked at my example but I wasn't greatly impressed by the kit.

Gordon McLaughlin

• 6 months later...

Nice buy John.

I have a built model that must date back to the 1970s and is a little worse for wear with the cabin roof and one wheel missing from the tractor.

I recently compared it with the Maquette 1/72 SAM-2 missile and launcher and the two models are virtually the same in terms of size and shape. The Airfix launcher base has large pads on the folding legs that are not present on the Maquette model. According to my Osprey "Red SAM" book, neither launcher is entirely correct.

The Airfix ZiL tractor compares quite well in terms of size and shape with the 1/72 ZiLs by MAC, ICM or whoever produces the kit now. The main difference is the grossly undersized wheels of the Airfix kit (replacement wheels intended for the MAC ZiLs are produced by Armory, Balaton, etc).

I'm thinking about using a MAC ZiL to replace the Airfix tractor.

Cheers

David

Here is my once:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/8103660124/

The tractor is a little bit small ( okay 1:76).

The traile looks good and the missile is good.

But all in 1:76! It's impossible to connect this with a 1:72 truck!

The good thing by Airfix is the ramp on wheels. (unfortunately there is no carrier for it)

BTW, never saw a pic with a ramp on wheels in action.

modelldoc

Edited by modelldoc

• 2 weeks later...

This was the first kit from my 'old' stash that I sold.

I got £15 for it at Milton Keynes five years ago!

'Oh Doctor, my eyes, my eyes'

I need 3x readers for 1:35 never mind Braille.

Roger

I wonder if Airfix still have the moulds for this? Given how rare the kits is the mould should still be crisp. Be great to see it re-released.

At Airfix yesterday and they confirmed this mould is no more.

Nice find!

Julien