I-16 Mosca, Spanish Republican Air Force, ready to fly!

exdraken

Artie, on 07 Mar 2013 - 15:15, said:

In the same way of thinking, we shouldn't call "Mustang" a P51 because that's the name the Britons gave to the plane, instead of the original North American designation for the fighter....?????

Cheers....

Where there even planes flying when "The Britons" were around? :banghead:

Ok ok ok....

Edited by Loki

In the same way of thinking, we shouldn't call "Mustang" a P51 because that's the name the Britons gave to the plane, instead of the original North American designation for the fighter....?????

Cheers....

Not quite, Artie, as the name "Mustang" was eagerly adopted by the Americans, as it had a much better sound to it than NA-73. In the same way the British name for the nose-gunned A-20's was adopted by the Americans; Havoc. Interestingly, the Soviets adopted the British name for the bomber/glass-nosed A-20's; Boston. Hmmmm, I suppose a long thread could be started (and undoubtedly already has been) on the subjects of aircraft nicknames - worst, best, strangest, etc.

Regards,

Jason

You're right, Jason......The spanish civil war era planes still give us some obscure subjects to build.....Specially the Republican ones, wich combined an absolute absence of information with a weird mixture of planes from lots of countries...Of special interest is the way the Grumman G23 came to Spain.....Do you like "gangster's movies"????????

Cheers.....

Yes, the way some of the Spanish Republican aeroplanes wound up in Spain is rather interesting. I actually have a Grumman G-23 built up model somewhere in storage (actually a Canadian Car & Foundry Delfin - the licence-built version of the U.S. Navy Grumman FF-1, or "Fifi").

Regards,

Jason

new green upper color,

maybe it is better now...

photos in daylight or even some sunshine are always better, but in lack of it, I hope these will do!

IMG_4097_1_zps750d4739.jpg

IMG_4098_1_zps9b08aa9f.jpg

IMG_4105_1_zps43544000.jpg

IMG_4106_1_zps0c20af57.jpg

some touch up necessary I noticed...

• Like 1

Much better now for sure....!!!!!

Please, note that the wheel wells were painted in the same underside colour or matt black....Light blue would be a good choice, unless photographic confirmation comes to hand.....

You're doing a very nice work with that little gem....

Best regards.....

some more progress, hope to finish it soon ;)

Mosca already flying in their natural habitat, early spring sun, although somthing/someone 's still missing...

IMG_4113_1_zps36178e92.jpg

IMG_4107_1_zpsd5ce1803.jpg

IMG_4138_1_zpsbb98d9e7.jpg

IMG_4134_1_zps65c7d6c1.jpg

a really nice little kit, Eduard!

Edited by exdraken

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers....

Actually Mustang is the original designation of the NA-73 in service, P-51 came along later (the original Mustang 1 never saw operation in the USAAF, the few the USAAF acquired were designated as XP-51's and used solely as test subjects). The Mustang was designed for the RAF, not for the USAAF.