Italeri Hurricane Mk 1 1/48

Sean_M

I have been procrastinating for months now and have spent more time writing on the forum than doing any modelling and work and family have taken up much of the spare time. It has been easier to veg in front of the computer than the work bench. I vacillated between the many kits. Enough said.

I have now received the Aires resin cockpit. I started on the kit cockpit. While the model detail is good, the cockpit seems unfinished compared to the Hasegawa kit.

I will be posting photos regularly and look forward to comments, help and criticism

• Like 1

Semper aliquid novi...here are pictures of work on the kit cockpit and the resin replacement. I of course have been debating the correct painting. i.e. all green or do the framework silver. I then noticed while looking throgh my stash that a lot of Hurricanes have the Joystick at an angle. This is not always the case. Now the question is do I leave the resin joystick as is or do I try and angle it. This model is going to be August 1940 c.

You will note that the PE sutton harness broke off, with too much fidling in trying to get it to fit. I have seen others who did a better Job than I with the PE supplied with the kit. I think it's too wide and hence the decison to go for a better aftermarket cockpit.

It's just the joystick that has me concerned

Italeriseatandfloor.jpg

The resin replacement

AiresCockpit.jpg

Edited by Sean_M
  • Like 1

Well they say it's my party and I can cry if I want to,,,

I just broke the back of my resin seat. I started using a normal modeling saw to remove the base, The blade fitted snugly, Be warned! the back of the seat is ultra thin and even with a jlc saw i nearly had a moment of de je vu. Iain also had a near miss when removing his base. I thought that I would put up pics and record the problems as well as my progress. I bought 2 cockpit sets so I had a replacemert. My wife came home and I was threatening to throw all my kits and tools out and get a new hobby...sorry fellows...she saved the day so no dumspter diving around my house tonight...

Anyway a big :thumbsup2: to Iain for his quiet PM support.

AiresCockpit2b.jpg

You need one of these

jlc-saw.jpg

Maybe I will do the green base coats tomorrow. I have decided to go with Vallejo cockpit green and Tamiya XF71. I think this will give the contrast that Iain has achieved and be more period correct for my hurri as I am doing LE-D which is around September 1940. If anyone is interested here is a long thread on the topic of colour http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52968-hurricane-mk1-cockpit-colour/

Like I said in Iain's build I think just about any one's guess would be correct.

Edited by Sean_M

Hey fella

My heart goes out to you..During my build I never knew that I knew so many profanities..and I've had 22 years in the RAF, where men are men and so are some of the women!

Stick at it, the cockpit will look darn good in the end.

Iain.

Well new so far..spilled a bottle of Tamaya XF-49 allof the desk...Thank goodness for Tesco All purpose cleaner...

Caperwt Moster ate joustict and PE part I so prodly folded.

Here are the pics of the seat..

...however Iain did a much better job on his

AiresCockpit070213-4.jpg

AiresCockpit3.jpg

Edited by Sean_M
  • Like 1

Hey Sean

Great talking to you earlier, it always interesting to hear somebody else's ideas when it comes to a build, especially when they're building the same kit in parallel...

Well I gotta say I like what I see....the aires tub is worth all the effort. Your right in the comparison with the Italeri cockpit tub it's defiantly 'chalk and cheese'..stick at it mate.

I've managed a little more to my cockpit tonight, not much but it's going in the right direction, I'll (hopfully) post some progress pictures tomorrow.

Yours aye

Iain.

Well after some trials and tribulations...I made a decal for the compass and got that sorted. so the cockpit is now finished and awaits being photographed and then assembled. I needed a break last night and the wife is hauling me to a meeting. However, I have not been idle. Tomorow I hope to do the photo's and then the shell assembly of the cokpit.

Iain I hope to catch up soon

Hey Sean

Good to hear mate, so you made your own decal eh? Nice one; I cheated and bought mine! I'm not planning any work on mine tonight, gonna kick back, but tomorrow as they say is another day!

Yours aye

Iain

Edited by Cplrafman

It seems that the Aires gunsite is the later MKII (square type. The Battle of Britain type was oval see the link below

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/gunsites.html I have checked the kit and it also offers the later square type. I am going to scrounge around for a replacement

I believe this to be the correct type

gunsight2.jpg

Edited by Sean_M

Finally some photos of my progress.

1. The Parts

cockpit_bits.jpg

2. Cockpit Spar - This gave me a headache and I had to re-do it a number of times

Cockpit_spar1.jpg

3. The Compass

This was interesting. Bending the PE (holder) was no problem and fitting the resin part (compass) was ok with tweezers. I then looked at Iain's build and was envious of the top detail. So with GIMP and a little clear decal sheet I made a compass face, sealing it with clear nail polish. It's not as good as a comercial decal but I did get the detail I wanted

compass3.jpg

4. The Dash

Ok I give up. PE and me just are not freinds yet. In the end I made the decal. printed it on clear sheet - painted the back of the Dash back silver and used a bit of decal solvent.

dash.jpg

Again a lot of respect to Iain on his build

5. Side Panels

I decide to go for a silver frame. One, I think after reading the comments and dooing some reaserch I the the BOB Hurricanes would have had the frames still silver with the sides and perhaps the seat a cockpit green to conform to Air Ministry spec. This is just my intepretation of the build.

sides.jpg

FInally a side view of the seat. I corrected the small Y strap. I now goes up behind the main harness as show in photos of the real aircraft

seat_side.jpg

Well folks comments...room for improvement...corrections...before the assembley

P.S I may need to touch up the green on the side walls. A little silver flaking. Not apparent - but the camera sees all

Yours Aye

Sean

Edited by Sean_M
  • Like 1

Well I have Cleaned up the silver speckle on the sides and I don;t think it is going to get much better than this

sides2.jpg

I made a Mk1 Reflector - Round. I dont know how well the pics look but I am pleased with it

dash_sight1.jpg

A close up of my MK1 sight

reflector_mk1.jpg

Hey Sean

I like what I see...I didn't notice that the harness was wrong, goes to show how much attention I pay! How did you create your gun sight as I've still to do mine?

I've spent most of this evening sanding down the joints between the wing and the fuselage and I'm quite happy with how it's going, I'm just waiting for some scribing templates to arrive from white ensign models so i can crack on.

Just a reminder that you need to remove (if you haven't already) the resin casting block from under the base of the floor and you may need to do a wee bit of sanding of the top off the wheel well.

Keep up the good work mate your doing well.

Cheers

Iain

Edited by Cplrafman

Creating a Mk 1 reflector sight.

1. GO to screwfix and buy Power Leather punch Product 91983

2. GO to your local off Sales and get a bottle of "Something" - for after you ar going to need it.

3. GO to Boots and get some earplusgs for the wife - she is going to need them

4, Find any old clear hard plastic

5. Select the 2nd from smallest die on the punch wheel and start punching away. I could not find the peices - you actually want the cut out bit, In the end I did not punch all they way through and got out a couple of samples. You will need a few as you will start loosing them as you pick them up.

6. Put some superglue on something so that you can touch the bottom of the clear circle.

7. Place it on the out side of the gunsiteposts and leave to dry for a while. It need to be properly dry.

8. Very calrfully paint a thin line (black on the bottom front of the new gun sight (see picture above of an actual MK 1

9. GO and have a stiff drink, By now you will need iy

10. No more modelling for the evening!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps Iain

Matt and to all the Guys.

I have been in bed for the last few days with a bad does of the Flu. So no progress. I have been in contact with Iain, so he is pretty much up to date. I am off to South Africa on an urgent case (Sadly I am a Barrister in real life, not a model builder...sigh have to pay the bills somehow). Anyway I digress. I am not happy with the cockpit. As I said to Iain in my PM once it's boxed all the detail is lost to they eye. This is sad becuase there is a lot more detail at this scale than on most Spits. While I have been in bed, I have been toying with the idea of using the OOB cockpit and puting in a few scratch built items. I would love to hear back from anyone who has built the Hasegawa Kits. (I have a few, but have not attempted them). I REALLY WANT FEEDBACK - GOOD AND BAD. I am trying to aim for competition standard. My build has stopped because I looj at the "boxed" cockpit and go "omfg" where did all my hard work just go....

I am disatpointed with the Aires cocpit. I bought 3 of them.

I would have posted photos of the closed cockpit, but frainkly I am embarressed

I look forward to some honest feeedback

Hey Sean

Matts right.. from what I've seen of your build and the way you've over come problems you should be proud of what you've done. If you're concerned about detail being lost when the whole thing is buttoned up do as matt suggests and leave the emergency panel off - whatever you decide don't be embarrassed by your accomplishments, this modelling lark isn't the easiest thing in the world and I think everyone would agree that we all learn new tricks with every thread we read and build we do.

Oh and get better soon, that man flu can be a bind and have a trip to SA.

Yours aye

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

I have not abandoned the build. Unfortunatelly with work, a dreadful cold and a forced work trip to South Africa I have been forcefully kept from the modelling bench by these lesser things of import. I am playing around with the OOB cockpit before It make a final decison on wether to go ahead with the AIres tub or refine the OOB Cockpit. I will keep all posted as soon as there is some progress. (This week I hope)