De Havilland Vampire T.11 - 1:72 Airfix

Paul A H

Great news about the Xtradecals information - 2 sheets should have plenty of great subjects, how about an all RAF version and a secondary Export sheet. Having saying that - the kit decals are fantastic.

My two kits arrived from those great chaps at Hattons yesterday. I believe Airfix could have sold this as a series 3 kit, smilar to their Sabre, however I'm glad they squeezed all the parts in a Series 2 box. Good on you Airfix.

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

And advice for anyone using the superglue and baking soda trick - cease immediately! It goes micey over time and seeps a horrid brown liquid goo that has a chemical reaction with paint. And it comes through Halfords primer too. You have been warned.

Have a very careful look at the label on your baking soda. I had a friend who suffered exactly these symptoms, He was using baking *powder* which is a mixture of baking soda, tartaric acid and corn starch (according to the label on the b.p. in my larder)

You just want baking *soda* if you use this trick (also known as sodium bicarbonate and colloquially to those of us with hangovers in our long passed youth, as "bicarb")

Shane

Have a very careful look at the label on your baking soda. I had a friend who suffered exactly these symptoms, He was using baking *powder* which is a mixture of baking soda, tartaric acid and corn starch (according to the label on the b.p. in my larder)

You just want baking *soda* if you use this trick (also known as sodium bicarbonate and colloquially to those of us with hangovers in our long passed youth, as "bicarb")

Shane

Yeah my mistake, I just checked my tub and its baking soda, not powder. Soda has a slightly more gritty texture to it.

I've also been mixing a drop of Humbrol black weathering powder into my superglue - makes black superglue, easier to see how everything sands and blends!

Just picked one up down at LSA Models as the box arrived while I was there (He also had that big 48th Merlin)

Very nice, not bothered about the tiny sinks or panel lines, it looks lovely and well worth £8

I'm going to do a wheels up Silver\Orange one to go with my Gnat

Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere but will it be easy for Airfix to do a single seater as well or do too many bits need changing?

Just picked one up down at LSA Models as the box arrived while I was there (He also had that big 48th Merlin)

Very nice, not bothered about the tiny sinks or panel lines, it looks lovely and well worth £8

I'm going to do a wheels up Silver\Orange one to go with my Gnat

Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere but will it be easy for Airfix to do a single seater as well or do too many bits need changing?

Simple answer is yes. The wing is on one sprue, with the fuselage hung from the wing upper one using the engine hatch. The tail booms are separate bits, so I'd assume - nay, predict - that we'll see a single seater from them at some stage in the near future.

I managed to get my mitts on one of these kits the other day. First impressions are that its a cracking little kit, absolutely gorgeous.....however, all this nonsense about the panel lines......They are too deep!

Thank you Bill, I was beginning to think it was just me!! Restrained?? Come on peeps! For those who'd like to see restrained engraved panel lines in a £7 1/72 scale kit, have a look at Academy's Tempest or Typhoon. And if Academy could do panel lines like this what, 15 to 20 years ago, I see no reason why Airfix can't now. I was really looking forward to this kit, but I've had enough of those horrible panel lines so will pass on it.

I share your misgivings as to what they'll be like in the Lightning, but am also hoping they'll improve them drastically. But that's one kit I will still buy even if they're like the Italeri Sunderland's (God forbid! And Italeri can also do beautifully restrained engraved lines when they want, have a look at their 1/72 Hawk..), as long as it looks more like a Lightning that Trumpeters effort...!!

As to using Halfords primer to fill the T11's panel gaps, I'd try Alclad primer/microfiller - I was a little heavy handed using this on a couple of Fujimi FG1's & their panel lines really are so fine that I filled them completely (not at all what I intended!) so it should work a treat on those Airfix ones!!

keef

Gentlemen how you consider, whether can be released by Airfix single modification (F.Mk.1 or FB 5 e.t.c.) and night fighter ( NF.10 e.t.c) ?

Or all will be limited to T.11?

B.R.

Serge

Thank you Bill, I was beginning to think it was just me!! Restrained?? Come on peeps! For those who'd like to see restrained engraved panel lines in a £7 1/72 scale kit, have a look at Academy's Tempest or Typhoon. And if Academy could do panel lines like this what, 15 to 20 years ago, I see no reason why Airfix can't now. I was really looking forward to this kit, but I've had enough of those horrible panel lines so will pass on it.

I share your misgivings as to what they'll be like in the Lightning, but am also hoping they'll improve them drastically. But that's one kit I will still buy even if they're like the Italeri Sunderland's (God forbid! And Italeri can also do beautifully restrained engraved lines when they want, have a look at their 1/72 Hawk..), as long as it looks more like a Lightning that Trumpeters effort...!!

As to using Halfords primer to fill the T11's panel gaps, I'd try Alclad primer/microfiller - I was a little heavy handed using this on a couple of Fujimi FG1's & their panel lines really are so fine that I filled them completely (not at all what I intended!) so it should work a treat on those Airfix ones!!

keef

Mr Surfacer works really well too. Airfix's panellines are a long, long way off being restrained! BUT this is too nice a kit for that to spoil it for me!In fact I really like many of their new kits (well apart from their Shar's!), Its ironic....25 years ago I would scribe,MAKE panel lines on an Airfix kit, now I'm trying to hide 'em!

We shall see how the Harriers and Lightning pans out though!

BUT this is too nice a kit for that to spoil it for me!

I'd probably still get one but for the fact I have a CMR T22 in stock - as to the Harriers I've more than enough Esci ones so I'll pass on those too. Tempted by the new Hurri though...!! Ditto on the old scribing lines practice, but I have to admit that sometimes I actually prefer to do that than try to disquise the new trend for heavy handed ones! I still think that using stuff like Mr Surfacer tends to soften the edges of the lines a bit much, leading to a 'marshmallowy' look to the surface detail. But needs must I suppose...!!

keef

Looking through the comments I have to say I am building this little kit now and it is a delight!! As for the comments on Trumpeter - I built their AN-2 a while back...sink marks.....poor moulding.....flash....nuff said???

I got my two kits yesterday from Airfix. Had a look at one last night and its soooooo good looking I was afraid to open the plastic bag. Just simply The best kit I gave ever seen from Airfix.

The decal sheet is terrific loads and loads of stencil, codes cut to suit the U/C set-up - just beautiful.

Have read right through this thread - thanks for the great review and for the Seat photos (Julien) now there's an exercise in weathering!

But I couldn't help thinking "I thought this was a relaxing enjoyable hobby I had got back into", but I started building kits, yes Airfix, back in the '50's so at my age I probably have kits built and converted before some of you guys were born. Remember conversions with Balsa & Talc for heaven's sake. And back then we still thought the kits were Terrific, and they were generally Airfix because of the price and hell the new Vampire is a steal at £7. I have/had kits with a 22p price tag on them and I love them.

This is a hobby guys, go play golf if one is tired of it. But for me I am an Airfix Fan and enjoy "playing" at building them.

Have a nice Day

• Like 2

But I couldn't help thinking "I thought this was a relaxing enjoyable hobby I had got back into", but I started building kits, yes Airfix, back in the '50's so at my age I probably have kits built and converted before some of you guys were born. Remember conversions with Balsa & Talc for heaven's sake. And back then we still thought the kits were Terrific, and they were generally Airfix because of the price and hell the new Vampire is a steal at £7. I have/had kits with a 22p price tag on them and I love them.

Still doesn't excuse the panel lines.... :P:D

And I'm old enough to have doen balsa & talc conversions too - & I still have kits with shillings & pence price tags on them as well.... :clif:

keef

Got this kit today, and for me it looks absolutely excellent. There's loads of detail there, and for me the panel lines look fine. They are over scale, no doubt about that (I'd guess most panel lines would be in 1/72?), and they are heavier than, say, my Italeri Sea Harrier/Gr.3, but they are certainly miles better than the Airfix BF.110 and Shar's that I have. I'm sure if they are a bit heavy for your liking then a couple of coats of primer will help, and if you're brush painting I'd guess the panel lines are ideal. I'm certainly no expert, and I'm definitely not saying anyone's opinion is incorrect, they are probably more valid than mine! Just saying it looks an absolutely great kit and well worth the cost, so I wouldn't worry about the panel lines. The only thing with mine is there is a really nasty ejector pin mark inside the cockpit which will be a pain to get out, but if that's the only problem, I'll be very happy! I'll do a build thread when I get round to building it (and you all will be able to see the panel lines are the least of my problems :D ).

V

I Have read right through this thread - But I couldn't help thinking "I thought this was a relaxing enjoyable hobby I had got back into", but I started building kits, yes Airfix, back in the '50's so at my age I probably have kits built and converted before some of you guys were born. Remember conversions with Balsa & Talc for heaven's sake. And back then we still thought the kits were Terrific, and they were generally Airfix because of the price and hell the new Vampire is a steal at £7. I have/had kits with a 22p price tag on them and I love them.

This is a hobby guys, go play golf if one is tired of it. But for me I am an Airfix Fan and enjoy "playing" at building them.

Have a nice Day

This is indeed a hobby, and everyone is entitled to enjoy it their own individual way. Some modellers are happy enough to build something OOB and others are happy to correct problems with kits - as they see it. Thats what Alan Hall was doing with his balsa and dope conversions after all. Its everyone's hobby! No one is forcing anyone into filling too deep panel lines. No one is forcing anyone to ignore them! The point here is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and to try to enjoy their own hobby as best they can. Me? I'll be filling my panel lines thank - you very much! Does that then mean that I'm not enjoying my hobby any less than someone building OOB? Actually - thinking about it...............

It is a cracking little kit and I think we shall see some excellent examples here, there and everywhere over the next few weeks and months...some will be OOB, some will be detailled, some corrected and some in between. All hopefully enjoyed to the hilt by the modeller!

• Like 1

Got. I'm certainly no expert, and I'm definitely not saying anyone's opinion is incorrect, they are probably more valid than mine! Just saying it looks an absolutely great kit and well worth the cost, so I wouldn't worry about the panel lines. The only thing with mine is there is a really nasty ejector pin mark inside the cockpit which will be a pain to get out, but if that's the only problem, I'll be very happy! I'll do a build thread when I get round to building it (and you all will be able to see the panel lines are the least of my problems :D ).

V

Your opinion is as valid as everyone else's.....its your hobby too!

• Like 3

Your opinion is as valid as everyone else's.....its your hobby too!

Indeed! I guess what I'm trying to say is that to my inexperienced eye, the panel lines look fine, certainly a lot more refined than some other airfix 1/72 kits. This kit looks a little gem :)

• Like 1

I picked one up from Antics in Sheffield last Friday. I think I purchased the last one and they hadn't even made it onto the shelves yet!

This is a great kit, the detail is some of the best I have ever seen on an Airfix kit, very fine and weighted tyres as well. Yes there are a couple of sink marks which I will fill in with Milliput and I am not a fan of the Airfix panel lines which I think are far to deep so I shall fill these in with Miliput as well in the same way I did with the Gnat last year. The decals look very good as well so it gets 8/10 from me.

Andrew

going to pick this up tommorow....hopefully it wont be too long before max decals bring out a decal sheet for this covering at least 1 option for an irish air corps example :thumbsup::analintruder::whistle:

Back in the early 1980's SAM magazine issued a set of free decals with some editions. One generic sheet was for IAC aircraft, with tricolour (and earlier two-colour I think?) 'bosses' and the unique styled 'side-numbers/codes'. I have a set carefully stashed away so these willcome in handy! I just need to find that magazine (again carefully stashed away somewhere!).

See! There is a reason we stash away thirty year old magazines and decals!!!

Back in the early 1980's SAM magazine issued a set of free decals with some editions. One generic sheet was for IAC aircraft, with tricolour (and earlier two-colour I think?) 'bosses' and the unique styled 'side-numbers/codes'. I have a set carefully stashed away so these willcome in handy! I just need to find that magazine (again carefully stashed away somewhere!).

I oft tell SWMBO that magazines are just books with soft covers....

going to pick this up tommorow....hopefully it wont be too long before max decals bring out a decal sheet for this covering at least 1 option for an irish air corps example :thumbsup::analintruder::whistle:

If you can find sheet 72-001 from the same Max Decals, it already included a Vampire together with other types.. many other types !

As soon as the kit hits these shores, I'll get a couple:one will be done with these decals, the other might be an RAAF one.

Have to say that I don't like at all the way airfix reproduces panel lines on their 1/72 kits and there are other features of recent airfix kits I consider not in line with what can be done in these days. However their recent choice of subjects really suits my interests.... while I'm not happy with some things, I'd rather have a Vampire T.55 with heavy panel lines than a He.111 with nice panel lines... :lol:

Edited by Giorgio N

im "green" with envy...[no pun intended] :winkgrin::bleh:

Bill, I agree with your rep;y to my eaarlier posting, perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. yes everyone to their own.

As a matter of interest to anyone who has the old SAM |IAC decals, I used some on a Provost the other evening, using Humbrols Decalfix and it did the biz.

I don't have any Micro stuff so can't compare.

David

FYI

IMG_0220_zps878a7854.jpg

Edited by Opadag