De Havilland Vampire T.11 - 1:72 Airfix

Paul A H

I doubt whether most of those who claim that recent Airfix tooling is "top quality moulding" have ever bought a Trumpeter (or whatever) kit. A fairly safe bet in terms of the numbers sold in the UK.

What an absurd statement to make. So people who buy Airfix kits don't buy kits from any other manufacturer and know nothing about models. You total plank!!! I've been making models for 40 years, and have made kits from most manufacturers. Are you seriously telling me that because I make models by Airfix I am somehow inferior to someone who makes Tamiya kits?

• Like 3

The flash will always highlight them.

Julien

Flash? you gotta be kidding me!... just when you thought Airfix was going in the right direction and making surface detail competitive with modern standards they go one step back. This is Italeri quality at best, and it looks way worse than the Spit Mk 22 which I thought was at least decent (not great).

I seriously do not understand why it is not possible for Airfix, with all the money that they're surely making, to make decent panel lines. The Czechs do it, Zvezda does it, the Asians do it. Why on earth can't Airfix? Such a waste to see the only company churning out new molds by the bucketload continue to disappoint in this regard... :(

And worse that people are just defending the brand and giving excuses on the sloppy quality. Sure, given the cheap prices they're still a bargain (plus the decals are fantastic). But they are NOT top of the line kits, period despite some people on this board treating them like they are.

I was eagerly awaiting their upcoming Fw 190A but I think I shouldn't keep my hopes up...

• Like 1

Having just recently (last month) finished the new Gnat kit, under three coats of airbrush applied paint and with no panel line wash, they look just fine. But then I'm not into this Capo de Monte style of panel line washes.

Colin

yea i dont always bother either. often i with some aircraft i actually prefer raised lines and then sand them off to nearly nothing with wet and dry 12000 grit and when painted they are hardly visible sometimes only at certain angles and i find this looks better for some.

that said i like recessed lines too. its all good to me. i cant wait to get a gnat as well beautifull little planes

Flash? you gotta be kidding me!... just when you thought Airfix was going in the right direction and making surface detail competitive with modern standards they go one step back. This is Italeri quality at best, and it looks way worse than the Spit Mk 22 which I thought was at least decent (not great).

I seriously do not understand why it is not possible for Airfix, with all the money that they're surely making, to make decent panel lines. The Czechs do it, Zvezda does it, the Asians do it. Why on earth can't Airfix? Such a waste to see the only company churning out new molds by the bucketload continue to disappoint in this regard... :(

And worse that people are just defending the brand and giving excuses on the sloppy quality. Sure, given the cheap prices they're still a bargain (plus the decals are fantastic). But they are NOT top of the line kits, period despite some people on this board treating them like they are.

I was eagerly awaiting their upcoming Fw 190A but I think I shouldn't keep my hopes up...

In my comment I said flash high lights the pannel lines and I stand by that. As a part time reviwer I find the flash does do this.

I am not defending airfix, neither is the reviewer here. These are comments made by others. Faults with airfix kits are pointed out by the reviewer team as they are for all kits, irrespective of their origin. I dont think anyone is saying this is a top of the line uber kit, but then for £7.99 I would not expect it to be.

Bottom line is if you dont like it, then dont buy it.

It really gets my goat when people can think of nothing better to do than slag off comapnies producing new kits. It also upsets me that some people think we should defend airfix to the hilt just because its a British company. Airfix operate in the big wide world, I am sure they can take praise where its due, and also constructive criticism as well. Though if they were to read some of the comments on "model forums" they might ask themselves why bother?

Julien

• Like 4

All this over some minor and easily-fixed sink-marks on an *eight quid kit*????? Strewth. Don't care who makes it, but this level of antagonism? Life is, surely, too short for this sort of crap.

I'm with Jonathan - out with the CA and baking soda for the two or three that I'll get, a quick sand, followed by a quick polish, and Bob's your uncle. No stress, no angst, just a bit of enjoyable and relaxing modelling.

• Like 7

Just a quick one to start a row about seats what type were fitted to the T11 and are there any after market items around?

Dek.

Martin Baker MK.3B,

I took these when they had been lifted out of XK624 at Flixton

MK3B%201.JPG

MK3B%202.JPG

MK3B%204.JPG

MK3B%205.JPG

MK3B%206.JPG

No one I know of does them at the moment, pretty sure pavala will be along soon. As far as kit seats og the airfix ones are not too bad.

Julien

Great pix of the bang seats!

....and now to the moaning.

Oh no! Minor sink marks!

Oh no! Slightly too deep engraving!

Re the sink marks. Airfix have given us a one piece wing and upper fuselage piece with fine trailing edges. No the Heller/Revell version didn't have sink marks but that is because the wings were separate and the airbrakes were separate. Smaller mass of plastic so I suppose less shrinkage (is this anything to do with thermodynamics?). The cure would have been extra sprue gates I suppose leading to separate moans about why had Airfix put sprues gates in silly places?

Engraved detail. In reality there should be none at all because in scale effect at 72 feet you wouldn't see them. Subtle changes in camouflage tone for example might be more realistic, but who amongst us has that level of skill. Therefore ANY panel line detail is a compromise.

THIS IS AN EIGHT QUID KIT FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!

If I had to choose between an accurate kit with barely noticeable niggles, that even I could tackle, or the world's most easily buildable kit which had major outline issues, then pass me the Milliput every time.

The label on the box is only a guide as to price for me, but I'm glad that Airfix is producing kits I want at a price that will ensure that I will be buying their Lightning and early Hurricane this year and if they are to the same quality as the Vampire then I'm a happy bunny indeed.

Ok?

Trevor

• Like 4

I think some chaps need to go and rearrange their wardrobe of beige anoraks, corduroy trousers, and chequed shirts.

Chill out its a little sink mark hardly an extra fastener on an access panel now is it? Maybe you should have a look at the amodel vampires if you think the airfix one is so awful.

If you don't like the kit then don't buy it. Simples! Also if you are such a perfectionist then go build your own moulds and mass produce a kit for the world markets.

I am not defending Airfix or any other company for that matter. But i can honestly say that if this kit had been released by Tamigawapeter then it would have cost at least three times as much.

Nice pics, Julien, thanks for sharing them :thumbsup:

No problems.

I am collecting tseat pics for a thread in the walkaround section uf anyone has them, must be your pics though.

Julien

Must admit I'm not a huge fan of engraved panel lines in this scale as they're not really that obvious on the real thing, though in fairness it's something that's very easily fixed, as are the sink marks. As a scratch builder it's not really a big deal to me personally but I know that to some it will be and will feel that a modern day model shouldn't have these issues, though to be honest at this price it's not much to complain about. I understand that many folks don't feel that they should have to fix these problems in the first place but at the end of the day we are all modellers and a bit of effort shouldn't go amiss, (I've bought several models over £100 that need a huge amount of work but due to the subject matter never lost any sleep to be honest).

Maybe you should have a look at the amodel vampires if you think the airfix one is so awful.
Or Hobbycraft's 1/48th horror !
Still I'll be getting a couple...CFS grey/yellow ala 'vintage pair' is just perfect....
Now if they could just scale it up to 1/48th.... :whistle:

All,

We should all be celebrating the fact that we now have a cheap / mainstream / and (from what I see) great kit of an important British aircraft. I do not build resin, nor do I have the paitence for PE, however I seem to have inherited Noah's desire to purchase two or more of most things. The fact that this little Vampire is very affordable and accurate must make this excellent value for money and from what I read here, most members will buy more than one. Sure - sink marks and what some would term "deep panel lines" aside - I do not see why anyone would not want to praise Airfix for giving us a long awaited subject rather than scorn them into oblivion.

Give me a Vamp over a new F-16 / Bf109 anyday..

Airfix - you have made many modellers very happy - Please keep reading these forums (if you do?) and taking credit for a job well done.

Cheers.. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader
  • Like 1

Given all this, we still need a company to find a good way of representing brake lines to the wheels. Utopia is always a step further on.

Surely fixing pieces of fine fuse wire to the undercarriage legs is good enough for those who wish to do so? Otherwise there's always Eduard.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review, it looks really nice and I'm looking forward to getting one. If you want a top of the line kit buy the CMR T.11, there is no sink marks and really fine panels and it comes with lots of extras, just be prepared to pay the price and do the work involved.

The sink mark is there because the runner feeds into an area which changes section ie where the flaps are moulded onto the upper wing piece. The feed ingate goes into a thin section which gets wider then reduces thickness. The thicker plastic holds it's heat longer than the injection time at the ingate and during the dwell time it shrinks. It's not easy to cure and depending on other factors it can't always be predicted. The fix is so easy.

I'm actually puzzled by the transverse hump in the floor as the nosewheel box projects into the cockpit only on the centreline and not right across.

The seats Miggers mentioned are available but I need to get one of these kits to check for fit.

Oh and for those advocating the CMR kit, the fuselage is wrong and seems to mirror the errors in the AV News drawings (Huntley).

John

Edited by John Aero

Good that we can (maybe) get the seats.

John thanks for the technical stuff, easier to understand what happened now. Also never knew that about the CMK kit, good to know in a way even the expensive end can get it wrong.

Julien

Gentlemen, may I ask that you all start off by acting in a way that befits the term? This review has been left open for people to discuss the kit, not call each other names.

Seldom do I see such hyperbole spouted in greeting of a new kit than with Airfix and/or a much loved British subject. Of course we all want every kit to be perfect, and we're getting closer as the years go by, but I've never seen anything so silly as a bunch of grown men bitching about a small sink mark as if it were the end of the world. Anyone caught inciting the use of modelling skills to remove this small blemish is branded as a "fan boy", and then the fur begins to fly. The laugh is that most of you haven't even got the kit in your hands yet.

It seems that everyone's losing their sense of perspective this month, as predicted. Call it post Christmas malaise if you like, but it happens every year. :shrug:

Any more name calling will result in the thread getting closed. Discuss the kit in realistic terms by all means, without belittling each other or making mountains out of molehills. I know that's possible, and it seems perfectly reasonable to expect you to do so.

You have been warned.

• Like 9

Paul thanks for the review I really enjoyed it and am eagerly awaiting to see if they decide to do a 1/48th scale version to go with the Alleycat vampires I have.

Some pics of the T.11 at a recent airshow in NZ and yes I do have a soft spot for the Vampire/Venom

DSC_9742_zpsee021f46.jpg

DSC_9561_zps20ce1b9b.jpg

DSC02706_zps64e52af2.jpg

DSC_9852_zps6c0819ee.jpg

DSC_9556_zpsc87325f5.jpg

DSC_9614_zps023fe0b0.jpg

And an ex-Swiss Venom

DSC_9660_zps480756bd.jpg

Paul thanks for the review I really enjoyed it and am eagerly awaiting to see if they decide to do a 1/48th scale version to go with the Alleycat vampires I have.

I know Alleycat were looking at a T.11 but this was kind off put on hold with Trumpeter doing a vampire etc. I can understand this as its a lot of work for him to do one, only for an injected one to come out.

Julien

Some pics of the T.11 at a recent airshow in NZ and yes I do have a soft spot for the Vampire/Venom

Hi Steve.

Those two Vampires are not T11's - the main external difference being the pylon for the drop tanks. The T11's drop tanks were a completely different design, as shown on the Airfix model. I think these aircraft are either ex-Swiss T55's or maybe ex-Australian T35's?

• Like 1

I know Alleycat were looking at a T.11 but this was kind off put on hold with Trumpeter doing a vampire etc. I can understand this as its a lot of work for him to do one, only for an injected one to come out.

Julien

For Trumpeter (with their breakdown) to do the T.11 would mean a whole new kit where Ali could make a new nose forwards of the firewall and new fins. There is some serious braking going on with those NZ Vampires!

John

Edited by John Aero

Thanks Mike, half of the comments are based on what they have seen in the review and not the an in the hand experience. Come on guys, lts be greatful for the kit cut the crap and get on with modelling. The website title is Brit MODELLER. I bet more than half of you wil buy the kit and stick it away in the hope that something better will come along!

Colin

PS. No offenceintended to those who thinkitis a good kit.

Edited by heloman1