Waiting for the tumbleweed to blow across my screen?sat rant

jetboy

Hi anyone,

After a very optimistic end to the year,with all sorts happening in space,and loads planned,its gone very quiet.May have to start and build some oldies from the stash,its been about 4 months since any mag has done a space build,i like mags still,nothing beats the physical fondling of the paper,sat with a brew.so online mags,though i can see the attraction,just dont do it for me,the only chink in the darkness was glimpsed this morning when fine scale modelling dropped on the mat,feb already,where does time go?,but thats a different subject and forum.ooooh oooh,front page says new spacecraft build?,trembling fingers,could hardly contain my anticipation,glancing briefly at the contents of the new models section,and glancing at the science fiction section,on the way to the real space section,i notice hey theyve got 5 new models,i could hardly contain myself,my adrenelin peaking,my skin twitching,my trembling hands,could hardly contain the expectation,of a whole paragraph,of some new spacecraft,missile,rocket,satellite,launch pad,scaffolding recreation of a v2 launch pad,with authentic tarpaulin recreation of the weather proofing,even a scale model of a monkey last flown onboard a sounding rocket[borrowed from some obscure zoo kit probably,with new addition helmet]...

I turn the page,B**LOCKS,theres nothing zero,zilch,nowt?,in my mind the usual rant starts and echoe,s through the vast empty space thats deprived of space fodder,as i ruminate on the fact that if the model manufacturers put as much effort into real space models,as they do in fictional things,a whole new generation would be switched on to the world of real space,cos sometimes the real thing,is better than the fictional,[though to be honest,i would visit a life size replica of the enterprise,at some american space park lol]

Theyve got 5 new kits reviewed,real space nil,where the justice?.another slurp of coffee,and reality steps back in,as i flip the mag shut,and my eyes narrow to slits as i focus,on the words dancing before my eyes,can i believe it,no? it cant be,its my brain teasing me,taunting me,drawing me in to the marriage of man,models,magazine,[bit like a real marriage really,scrub that if your sensible enough,not to have gone down that route]

I return,to the flimsy sheets of wood pulp,in my rapidly pespiring mitts,feeling the coarsness of last nights efforts in the man cave on my fingerends,[yeah i know what you thought?-but no i meant dried superglue,its a bugger to get off.]

Enough,back to those dancing,dazzleing,vibrant,enticing words,our experts build and review 8 new kits,wiping away the drool,from my rapidly overfilling cup,long gone is the life giving caffiene,replaced with the liquid drool of anticipation,being caught unfortunatly in my tolpuddle marytrs,cup,which is stuck to my bottom lip,as i cant move in thebelief if i move i will miss the impending article,but no......a bit of superglue has managed to transfer to my lip.buggger.as i rip it off,I notice the words,i long to read...her hand slowly moved up......sh*t wrong mag!,the words i long to read..our experts build and review aircraft,armour[only spelt the american way]cars,SPACECRAFT,AND MORE!,thats it i cannot believe it,, spacecraft and More,what could be more,I MUSE ON THIS PROBLEM,more what could be more,enough i turn the page,heading towards the sacred text,i know is lying in wait to kidnap my sense,s and my willingly malleable,weak mind,

I casually,flip the well creased pages,the corners bedraggled with eager anticipation,and perspiration,heading towards the holy grail of content,i pause briefly before the penultimate page,to compose my eager,flexing arching body,my mind enthralled,nay mr wilk,s,nay engulfed,by the words,if ever so deserving of a pulitzer prize,the words Workbench review..

Enough,i summon the courage,[the courage born of the blood of this country,the dark satanic mills etc etc],i ....a mere space modeller,no a mere real space modeller!.I nonchanlontly grasp the metal,and turn the page,the left hand page jumps out at me,hits me square,in the narrowed slits of eyes,hardly daring daring to open the lids of anticipation,[cant find me glasses],i take a deep breath,and subconsiencely count to five,and thrust open my eyelids,eager to soak in the words of our religion,i read the article in 30 secs,not quite comprehending the effect on my body,the waves of disapointment,the waves of shock and awe,the waves of despair,as my mind struggles with the reality of what stands before me,in glorious print.B***OCKS,bo***cks...............My eyes flicker to the mag cover again,i read slowly,taking in the meaning of each individual word,yes my eyes do not decieve me,praise be to him above,yes it does say,with large bold print,[not sure of font type],but big and thick,and black,the very blackest of black,the black that father ted refer,s to as papal black,the priests black,the black reserved for sacred items and texts.it shouts nay screams naybeats me,berates me,I glance away,just to be sure,the words will still be there as i cast a vsideways peek,just to be sure,yes,yes yes yes,bugger wrong mag?it says we build and review 8 yes 8,the number before 9,the number after 7,the number that says it all 8 new kits,new ,new new the word conjures up thoughts of things shiny,fresh of the mould machine,smelling of hot plastic,my mind struggles with the concept of there could be two articles of real space engineering,and i just happened to look at the early one first,a swell of relief rides over my spasm wracked body,there must be more to come,can my mind take in this tsunami of real space,i feel not,i feel cheated,that my mind has suffered the first article,and now im expected,to recover in the hope of more,a new article,ive missed ,as i flicked through the aforementioned mag,i cannot contain my curiosity,i,ve got to know,i want to know,i need to know,nay mr wilks,its my right,its my destiny to know,There cannot be only one?

I PERUSE THE REMAINING 4 PAGES,i think to myself,you cannot get much of a build in 4 pages,but my mind throws that thought to one side,a voice deep in my mind yells Don go to the index,then louder go to the index,then screaming it shouts DON GO TO THE INDEX,i casually cast aside that thought,and secretly hope that in the remaining 4 pages there will be a fountain of real space,enough to quench the drought of late.

4 pages left,4 pages i think to myself,im sure someone got all the secrets of the atom bomb,under a postage stamp once,so 4 pages could still slake my thirst for real space knowledge?

I turn the pages,my body quivers and arches,as though in response to blows from a sharp edged weapon,made from finest steel,made by the alchemists of old,Adverts 4 pages of adverts,nooooooo, noooooooooooooooooo the cry escapes from my previosly superglued lips,the cry has wrenched the skin loose,noooooooooooooooo,a red mist falls over my mind as i grasp the flailing mag,i grasp it by the spindly spine,gone are all thoughts of tenderness,towards this bringer of knowledge and news,my only thoughts are for the missing new build,because obvisiosly the build presented to me was not the one eluded too?I flick through the pages of once sacred text,again and again,but same result,theres only one article,the passing thought of There can only be one,connor McCloud,rings true.

And so this fable,nears its end,a tale of treachery,a tale of false phrophecies,a tale of morales,the moral ,is i suppose always be grateful for what you get ,especially in a drought.

the build review was for Hasegawa,s Voyager,which i seem to think was released last sept?,time plays tricks,but it was a while ago.one of the cons of the review is instrument/magnetometer boom is solid would have been better in photoetch,whoah hang on,i seem to remember,the same week this was released a L.V.M.photoetched boom was released,4 months later and no mention of this aftermarket item,is it any wonder people are going for online up to date mags,Front page does say new build though,to say i was a tad dissapointed is a understatment,but anything is better than nothing?is it

well done if you have read this drivel,cheers Don

• Like 1

Don,

Chill, Look inwards.

My mate brought me a Hasegawa submersible kit from Japan last year.

And I found a build article in a recent magazine. So it does happen.

Though when I'll have time to build it I don't know!

Time to suit up & explore the inner universe.

Or just watch The Abyss again.

(Nice rant BTW)

All the best

Pete

Don,

Chill, Look inwards.

My mate brought me a Hasegawa submersible kit from Japan last year.

And I found a build article in a recent magazine. So it does happen.

Though when I'll have time to build it I don't know!

Time to suit up & explore the inner universe.

Or just watch The Abyss again.

(Nice rant BTW)

All the best

Pete

thanks pete,i do feel better now though? cheers Don,btw i much prefer watching armegeddon,for the umpteenth time,its in real space,though i have seen the latest release,s of the subs,and find them strangely enticing,in a fringe sort of way......Don

Edited by jetboy

Superb rant, couldn't do better my self.

Have you heard of the Film and Television Modelling Club?

Hi pm,no i hav,nt heard of them,but sounds intresting and my cup of tea,are you going to impart more?

cheers Don

Would some pictures of my Pegasus Doodlebug calm you a bit?

Hi pm,some pictures would be nice,would be better if you have painted it like a Loon version,one item of fords catalogue i dont mind,? I await with baited breath,i do like pegasus,s v2,its very nice?

cheers Don

Mate...have you thought about taking a holiday soon?

btw....lovely rant

Hi,rory.Holiday,thats the trouble,im on one!,just not the weather to leave the house,

cheers Don

Well... Eduard announced an photo etch set for the Hasegawa Voyager... I think for March. They are uncertain if it will be earning them some money but if it does I can imagine they will look out for other space stuff they can improve (Dragon kits maybe).

I suppose this set will contain more details than only the booms and I will wait for this release before I decide if I buy this set or the LVM booms.

I mean if we cannot get entirely new space kits it is at least a nice option to get new after market stuff for the old kits. And I think it is a good sign that a major company like Eduard jumps on board.

Hi,rory.Holiday,thats the trouble,im on one!,just not the weather to leave the house,

cheers Don

Lol...ok then Don, have you thought about taking a holiday in the summer, or looking at the time you posted this, an early night?

btw. it's Rick, my nom de plumme is just one of Rory G's songs....mind you been called a lot worse!

Edited by sinnerboy

Hi pm,no i hav,nt heard of them,but sounds intresting and my cup of tea,are you going to impart more?

cheers Don

The Film and Television Modelling Club (FTVMC) were set up in the north east of england twenty years ago. They produce a quarterly magazine called Drone which you can only obtain by subscription. Price dependant on where you are in the world. I can take some snaps and pass them on to you. Content is anything cult, sci fi, horror, real space, inner space etc etc. They have a web page (still under construction) and their own facebook page, just look for FTVMC, if you have trouble finding it, just ask. I will post my doodlebug asap (I lost my photo's and need to take more).

Maybe it will interest you and raise your spirit a little: Aoshima announced a "Super Big Thunderbird 2 - International Rescue Thunderbirds" including a Mole and TB4 for May. US price will be 65 USD so from Japan it will be accordingly cheaper.