Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt BF 109E 4 - new pics

Well its now finished. Although the scheme is based on the airfix Von Werra scheme, I have used a bit of artistic license, and done a side camo scheme too.

I am very pleased with the end result, despite the obvious areas for improvement, though please remember this is only my fourth model.

Link to work in progress thread here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933782-airfix-172-messerschmitt-bf-109e-4-link-to-ready-for-inspection-on-page-2/

So here are the pictures:

20130202_120708_zpsf00a1520.jpg

20130202_120900_zps1c551b4b.jpg

20130202_120655_zps71e627d1.jpg

20130202_120521_zps20066614.jpg

20130202_120827_zps9ce7cf8b.jpg

20130202_120543_zpsfe221e8c.jpg

20130202_120539_zps3b24c4ef.jpg

20130202_120529_zps7d6816ac.jpg

Edited by MPaul
  • Like 4

I like it, the mottle effect on the fuselage is especially well done. I know there is no swastika in the kit decals, but, if you can find a pair, it would be a worthwhile addition.

Thanks for posting, good model.

Thanks!

I wasnt sure about the mottled effect, as it was difficult getting a good result using sponge, brush etc. Once the decals were all on though, I really like it.

I agree about the swastika comment, and to that end, I have made a wanted thread to see if anyone can help me out.

Nice build and paint job. Im currently doing the tropical version of this kit and am figuring out how best to apply the green mottle.

Thanks for your comments too. I really enjoyed making it, and just said to my girlfriend that I may well make another in another scheme.

I think the best way to do the mottle is with an airbrush. As I was brush painting, my girlfriend who is a complete star, kindly cut down a make up sponge to a small roughly circular shape, which i loaded lightly with paint, and dabbed on the sides using the colours from the splinter camo.

Edited by MPaul

Very nice -- especially since it is in 1/72 so everything is fiddly (IMHO)

Agree, a swastika or two would improve it...

Very nice -- especially since it is in 1/72 so everything is fiddly (IMHO)

Agree, a swastika or two would improve it...

You are right about the fiddly, though due to space and budget issues, I think this is likely to be the scale I stick with. Am hoping to get the swastika issue sorted soon.

Have found places selling swastika sheets at reasonable prices, but the p&p charges are extortiionate, and as I dont want to buy anything else just now, its a bit excessive to pay £4.00 delivery on something that could be put in an envelope with a second class stamp on it.

Edited by MPaul

Very good effort.

The mottling is exactly as I've seen it in several photos of other 109's, so I think it worked fine even though it 'looks' like it should be applied by airbrush.

Thanks for all of your comments. By the way, I used the matt varnish you recommended, and apart from the fcat I neglected to mask the canopy, love the result. Lesson learnt with the canopy by the way.

The sponge idea is probably very close to how the mottle effect was achieved in the real thing, it certainly was'nt sprayed. In field improvisation at it's best !

From what I have read, it was applied in several different ways in reality: sprayed, wadded cloths on broom handles, stippled by brush etc. I think it has worked fairly well on the model, and am happy people like it too.
Taking the photos outside has helped massively. using a mobile phone camera has limitations in normal domestic lighting areas, the natural light makes the pics way better in my opinion too.

Very fine details for a nice build! It's always great to have an understanding girlfriend in this hobby... :lol:

She is one in a million imo, and she enjoys the fact I am enjoying making the models. I think its as much to do with the fact it keeps me quiet for hours at a time lol.

Thank you for your comments.

Some good effort in 1/72, you could do that side mottle on a 'Wick' Emil and it would look the biz.

A tip for antenna cabling; take a single hair from your GF's hairbrush and use that instead of line. Hair is thin, stretchy and responds really well to a tiny dab of CA(superglue).

• Like 1

Some good effort in 1/72, you could do that side mottle on a 'Wick' Emil and it would look the biz.

A tip for antenna cabling; take a single hair from your GF's hairbrush and use that instead of line. Hair is thin, stretchy and responds really well to a tiny dab of CA(superglue).

I love this place. So much useful info at hand. May well try this, as I have the canopy (and the aerial) off to try and resolve the frosting.

Cheers for the comments.

I did the same with the canopy on a Harrier that I was building, still not got around to correcting that. I love the mottle technique I may give that a go... As you say really good forum for useful tips.

Leon

Well a little update. I tried resolving the canopy frosting, but even after sanding and polishing, and then re-varnishing, i couldnt get it right.

So i emailed airfix on the weekend about my problem, and they actually sent me out a new canopy on Monday, and it arrived on Tuesday. Excellent service, and am now painting the new one before fitting it.

Well, I received a new canopy sprue from Airfix, and so decided to fit it. The grass isnt always greener though, as it was a terrible fit, and so I ended up using front section from the old canopy.

I also replaced the stretched sprue antenna cable, with a hair.

Swastikas (courtesy of pyro-manic on here, very grateful) fitted to tail

20130208_144405_zps5d7f7200.jpg

20130208_144315_zpsacfa74fd.jpg

20130208_144326_zps8be3de06.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Dazz.

Get one, its a really nice kit, and i am sure someone with more ability can make something outstanding from it.

I am already considering another, possibly done as a nightfighter.

• 1 year later...

Nicely finished. It's a great little kit and I love your mottled paintwork.

Richard

Thanks very much. I think it works quite well, and I get the sponges I use free (from my fiancée's makeup bag when she isnt looking!)