Davey the way out cyclist

Hi All, I wasn't sure if this fitted in Vehicles or Other Modelling Genres. Anyway, it is here now as it is - loosely - vehicle based.

This is one of the Hawk Weird-Ohs 'car-icky-tures', originally moulded in the States in the sixties. I have had real problems cleaning up the seam lines, I think I should have used some strip supports along the internal joins when I built it. Mods from the kit included removing the wheel spokes and cutting inserts from a CD case, airbrushed to give the impression of movement; adding scenic grass to the base to make it a little more interesting; and printing a speed limit sign, which Davey has 'adjusted', instead of using the arrow from the kit.

Alclad chrome was used on the exhaust, handlebars and the headlight and Humbrol metaliser was used on the escaped piston and sprocket. The rest is painted with enamels and acrylics from various sources. The greeny-black on Davey's leather jacket is actually Tamiya NATO black. I am sure this is supposed to be a very dark grey, but my jar was a very dark black-green.

Overall he is about seven inches long and looks like this:

02Daveythewayoutcyclist_zpsc2c31d77.jpg

01aDaveythewayoutcyclist_zps805daa7c.jpg

03Daveythewayoutcyclist_zpsb7812a71.jpg

04Daveythewayoutcyclist_zps34fdc64e.jpg

01Daveythewayoutcyclist_zps324fff01.jpg

Harley 'Bad Boy for the M/C GB next........

Edited by Natter
  • Like 1

Hey,that is a great build there,love the blurred spokes,that works realyl well.I have a couple other Hawk kits,they are great fun-yeah sure the mouldings are not great (they do stem from the 60's) but with a bit of work something different can be built.Got any more like these?

Mike

Absolutely magnificent!

My pals and I built these in their original release back in the '60s, and THIS is the way we always wanted them to look...but could never quite manage, with smeared tube glue and 12-cent Testors "square bottle" gloss enamels. Well done.

Hey,that is a great build there,love the blurred spokes,that works realyl well.I have a couple other Hawk kits,they are great fun-yeah sure the mouldings are not great (they do stem from the 60's) but with a bit of work something different can be built.Got any more like these?

Mike

Hi Mike, I got Davey with the 'Francis the Fool' basketball player as a bargain pair on e-bay, but Davey was the one I wanted. I don't know when (or if) I will build Francis though. Maybe some time when I just need a break from being too serious again.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.