Airfix Jet Provost T5

That is about the best JP5 from the Airfix kit I have ever seen! My old boss (Mike Fox) used to fly for The Swords and I had the pleasure of doing a kit for him with the old Modeldecal sheet, but it was nowhere near the standard you've managed to do with yours; that is really superb!

Oh Lordy, that's nice!

Some builds just have a certain "feel" about them and yours has it by the spadeful.

Tell me, are those panel lines decals or lightly tinted scribings? They are so crisp. I'm a sucker for a bit of crispness on a model.

I'm a bit new to this lark after being away in the "deep fundamould" of car models.

Martin

Oh Lordy, that's nice!

Some builds just have a certain "feel" about them and yours has it by the spadeful.

Tell me, are those panel lines decals or lightly tinted scribings? They are so crisp. I'm a sucker for a bit of crispness on a model.

I'm a bit new to this lark after being away in the "deep fundamould" of car models.

Martin

The panel lines are scribed using a sewing needle held in a drill chuck. Panel lines on the wings were fairly lightly scribed except for the ailerons which were made quite a bit heavier. The difficult ones were the engine access panels on the fuselage behind the cockpit - I used quite a bit of dymo tape in small sections to do this. They are finished by flowing some very thin dark grey oil paint into the scribed lines.

Many thanks. I like the needle in a pin chuck idea. I have no trouble scribing lines by much the same method on my car models, but the Dymo tape is priceless! But can one still get Dymo tape??

Cheers,

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Sorry made a slip with my dyslexic fingers in last post - should read Pavla resin cockpit set :banghead:

Rgds

I didn't use any resin - just the Airfix seats with Milliput seat parachute pack and masking tape belts - i used fuse wire for the handles, etc. The rest of the interior was done with plasticard and bits of stretched sprue, etc.

Yet another fine example that an "old" kit is not a "bad" kit. Put some good technique into it and a great model can be the result. As much as it might be cool for Airfix to give us a new tool of this one, the old Strikemaster/Provost kit as I recall was one of the nicer ones of its time.

'but I made a mess of the Cranwell blue fuselage stripes'

My hero - a mistake - Oh Chris, say it wasn't so!

More seriously do you flow the paint into the panel lines before or after painting? I thought that if you do it before, it will get covered up but if you do it afterwards it could get rather messy.

Or have I missed the point? Is the paint there to give a smooth finish to the line?

Nice job

John

Edited by John R

'but I made a mess of the Cranwell blue fuselage stripes'

My hero - a mistake - Oh Chris, say it wasn't so!

More seriously do you flow the paint into the panel lines before or after painting? I thought that if you do it before, it will get covered up but if you do it afterwards it could get rather messy.

Or have I missed the point? Is the paint there to give a smooth finish to the line?

Nice job

John

Hello John - we all make mistakes sometimes you know - the trick is not to let them be seen! On the paint - I flow the oil paint in after the paintwork has been completed. Because I use enamel, I give everything a coat of Klear first to seal it, then roughly put thinned oil paint in the panel lines with a brush, then wip off the excess with a rag in the direction of the airflow. I tend to scribe fairly deep lines so they hold the paint, If you try to do this with kit engraved lines the paint tends to be removed with the wiping off - but if you give the oil paint a couple of hours to dry first you can also use this technique on kit lines.

Chris

What a beauty this is and stands as an object lesson in panel line marking too

I love the way you HAVE intensified the panels that are usually "there" without making every single line on the airframe stand out

The lightness of touch on the wings is especially worthy of mention, lovely work

It's beautiful modelling, no matter what some say Airifx kits can become fabulous models with the addition of a little hobbylove

Nice 'plane

b