Italian Paratroopers - 1:35 Italeri

Mike

Italian Paratroopers Combat Group
1:35 Italeri

boxtop.jpg

During WWII, the Italian Paratroopers (Paracadutisti) were a well-respected foe, participating in combat training during the run-up to the aborted assault on Malta and in combat at the second battle of Alamein, where they accredited themselves well against a superior force. They are a volunteer unit, and members are selected by competition, resulting in a high standard of soldier.

The Kit
This set from Italeri depicts a Combat Group of WWII era, and contains six figures in various poses. It arrives in the de facto standard figure-style end opening box, and contains one sprue of light grey styrene parts. Unusually for a figure set, there is also an instruction sheet within, and the painting guide is on the rear of the box, giving call-outs in Italeri Acrylic Paint only.

The figures are in mixed poses, with two standing, three kneeling, and one more kneeling behind a support machine gun. The standing figures are moulded with torso and legs in one piece, while the kneeling figures all have separate torso and individual leg parts. All figures have separate arms, and with the exception of the standing figure wearing a soft cap, all the helmets are separate parts too. Weapons, ammo pouches, bayonets and water bottles are supplied as optional parts, and the standing figure carrying the sub-machine gun also has a larger ammo pouch for his magazines. The support MG is mounted on a tripod, and fed by rigid ammo strips, one of which is supplied to fill the breech. A large ammo box with separate kid is also included, to carry more ammo.

sprue1.jpg

Moulding is good, with only a little flash here and there. Sculpting is well up to modern standards, with well-defined seams on clothing, defined webbing and belts, plus good facial features. Some of the figures have beards or goatees, although these are a little regimented and regular in their texture in my opinion. The detail parts such as the weapons and pouches are similarly well sculpted, and the twin sections of the rifle barrels are separated by a void, rather than moulded as one.

Conclusion
A nicely moulded set of figures that would look good in any diorama situation, and once cleaned up and sympathetically painted by following the guide on the back of the box, they should look the part.

Recommended.

Available from all good model shops and from your favourite online retailer.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

During WWII, the Italian Paratroopers (Paracadutisti) were a well-respected foe, participating on combat during the assault on Malta

Are we in the same universe?

(I know this is quoted from the Italeri catalog, but it is below even History Channel standards of research!)

Edited by Ossian

My understanding is that the Italian Paratroopers were intended for Operation Hercules (the assault on Malta), but in the end were used as regular (albeit high quality) infantry in North Africa. I would suggest the slight change to being included in the assault on Malta (which didn't happen) is nothing more than a glitch in translation - hardly a hanging offence. I for one thought this was meant to be read as a model review (for which I am very grateful to Mike taking the time to carry out) rather than a historical account. Keep up the good work Mike.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - a good example of chalk and cheese. Say essentially the same thing, but come over as a much nicer chap... cheque's in the post ;)

You know, I think I read that somewhere else too, so perhaps Italeri were caught out by it too? it's still a nice box of figures though :D

• Like 1

Thanks Mike

I had a sqiwz at these last weekend but didnt buy them, but they look real cool, and quite pleasantly different. Shall nip off again and buy them, even if they didnt partake in the invasion of Malta...

Shame, really doesnt seem to be a good day for reviewers today does it. Dont worry, I, like many others, do enjoy your 'Verbiage' :wicked:

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

My understanding is that the Italian Paratroopers were intended for Operation Hercules (the assault on Malta), but in the end were used as regular (albeit high quality) infantry in North Africa. I would suggest the slight change to being included in the assault on Malta (which didn't happen) is nothing more than a glitch in translation - hardly a hanging offence. I for one thought this was meant to be read as a model review (for which I am very grateful to Mike taking the time to carry out) rather than a historical account. Keep up the good work Mike.

Well they say you learn something every day. I never even heard of operation Hercules. Some future reading for me there I think.

Julien

Thanks Mike

I had a sqiwz at these last weekend but didnt buy them, but they look real cool, and quite pleasantly different. Shall nip off again and buy them, even if they didnt partake in the invasion of Malta...

Shame, really doesnt seem to be a good day for reviewers today does it. Dont worry, I, like many others, do enjoy your 'Verbiage' :wicked:

Thanks

Steve

:lol:

As in universally regarded as the worst figure painter in the World (as my wife tells me - apparently I made a set of British Infantry look like zombies, which I deserved as I used Citedal paints), I might give these a go. Look really nice. I've never heard of Italian paratroopers or Operation Hurcules. Learn a new thing everyday!!

Julien, A good accessible account of the Siege of Malta during WW II can be found in "Siege:Malta 1940-1943" by Ernle Bradford (still may be able to find the edition published by Pen & Sword a few years ago). It has a good discussion of the Axis muddled approach to dealing with Malta including Operation Hercules.

Cheers.

Julien, A good accessible account of the Siege of Malta during WW II can be found in "Siege:Malta 1940-1943" by Ernle Bradford (still may be able to find the edition published by Pen & Sword a few years ago). It has a good discussion of the Axis muddled approach to dealing with Malta including Operation Hercules.

Cheers.

Thanks, I will have to look that up.

Julien