Revell 1:72 B-17F Memphis Belle +++FINISHED+++

I haven't got near this build for a few days as things have been very busy in work, but I managed to get an hour or two done tonight. I got the tail gun done, here it is before it's locked away and invisible...

TailGun_zps5e46c741.jpg

I also got to try Games Workshop Liquid Green for the first time. So far I like it, it goes on easily (with a brush which can be cleaned in water) and sands easily too. I've done some sanding, but as the pic below shows, I've also put on a lot of it under the nose. This is where the Chin turret on the B-17G would be, and in the -F kit they give you a piece to cover this hole. However, I followed the instructions and stuck the piece to the underside of the Bombardier's section before putting the fuselage halves together, and it ended up being far too recessed. Hence me using Liquid Green to try to build it up again. So there's a tip for future -F builders - add this piece to cover the hole *after* you've put the fuselage halves together!

Fuselage5_zps5d088ed2.jpg

Anyhow, we've a long weekend over here this weekend, so I'm hoping to get the final bits (for now) done on the fuselage and move onto the wings and engines. Only a month left in this GB, I must admit I'm beginning to get worried!

J.

Edited by Jasonb13

Two nights in a row, it's like the good old days (i.e. last year! ).

Anyhow, spent most of this evening getting the fuselage finished off. The lump of Liquid Green under the nose has actually turned out pretty decent after sanding, so that's good. But the strain of everything *just* fitting inside the fuselage is showing - a bit more superglue was needed on one of the fuselage seams, and the bomb bay seems to be creaking a bit! Anyhow, I got the tail attached, and the rudder, and a few of the various canopy pieces, so here's how it looks now:

Fuselage6_zps447dafc5.jpg

The wings and engines are next, and just 'cos sometimes it's cool to jump ahead a little, I did a quick dry-fit:

Airframe1_zps2f827367.jpg

And bloody hell, she's huge! I've no idea where I'll put her! :) Such a beautiful aircraft though...

J.

Thanks Philip! Though it was only a dry fitting of the wings last night!

Anyhow, I got start on the wings properly today. I have to say, I found them a bit over-engineered, a little bit too much going on in them, with some awkward pieces to try to fit together like a 3-D jigsaw:

Wings1_zpse261dcac.jpg

But I got it all in today and used everything at my disposal to get the wing halves together:

Wings2_zpsf8885117.jpg

So here's where I am tonight, with both wings joined together:

Wings3_zpsdfbb2165.jpg

With that done I'll have a look at the engines next, and see if I should leave them off before priming or put them on and mask them up. Thanks for looking...

J.

Decided to push on a bit more with the airframe first. So I got the ailerons, horizontal stabilisers and elevators added. I glued them in place (you can leave them free to move if you want) and didn't deflect them from neutral. Partly because it just makes the build a bit easier but mainly because I left the control columns in the cockpit in neutral as well. The rudder is still free to move, as that will allow me to unmask the tail-gunner position properly, and also you can't see the rudder pedals so I can deflect the rudder if I want! :)

Airframe2_zps19c0af3c.jpg

The wings are still dry-fitted, but the rest is glued on. I still can't get over how big it is, I've a 1:72 Spitfire with a smaller wingspan than the tail of the B-17! :)

I'm gonna dry-fit one engine together and see if it'll be easier to mask and prime the airframe like it is now, or mask and prime it after the engines are added. Should get more done today or tomorrow. Thanks...

J.

I can only imagine!

Work continued last night and this morning. Some more Liquid Green stuff used after putting the wings on, and it's all masked up and ready for priming. Just need the weather to dry up a bit now! :)

J.

Airframe3_zps6ab8fe95.jpg

Thanks Mish! Can't remember the last time I got to model 5 days in a row! Hoping to get it primed now, it's a bit dry out at the moment. Though I just realised I don't have a lot of primer, so I'll see how it goes...

J.

Some great pics there, thanks! Fascinating to see them...

Got the B-17 primed and it showed up quite a few areas that still needed work. So I did some more sanding and filling and I'll see how it looks after I've primed them again...

J.

So, after finally getting a few days in a row on the build, I then didn't get near it for a few days! But I've got a couple of things done. I tidied up some of the seams etc. on the airframe, and put primer over them. As always, it's not perfect, but it is better! :

Airframe4_zpsdea1f5bb.jpg

I also got the engines together and painted. I took a few shortcuts, like just using 'Aluminium' on some parts that where meant to be Aluminium and Silver. To be honest, the differences between the two colours can barely be noticed anyhow, never mind under a wash and then inside an engine cowling that will cover most of it anyhow! :

Engines1_zps0419c2b4.jpg

Next up is painting! Gonna do the underside of the airframe first and see how that goes...

J.

Thanks a lot Mish!

I now have the basic painting done, the underside and the top colour. I'm still not happy about the fit issues in the nose at all, but there's not a lot I can do about it at this stage, I just wish it wasn't in such a visible place! Anyhow, here are some pics:

Painted1_zpsbe432720.jpg

Painted2_zps0d19acc7.jpg

Next up is lots and lots of green blotches. I originally thought it was basically camo, but I've since read an article saying it's actually field repair work. That'll change the look of the airframe a lot, and make it look a lot less clean and consistent. Might get started on that tomorrow, we'll see...

Thanks...

J.

The medium green blotches were camo. They were applied mainly to the outer areas of the airframe in an attempt to break up the outline of the airplane when seen at dispersal if attacked from the air.

As the threat of air attack diminished, so did the need to apply the blotches. Most early production Fs had them, but later models were standard olive drab. The Belle most certainly had them though!

Enjoying the build by the way!

Thanks Andy! And thanks for that info tomprobert, obviously that article I read was wrong!

Just a quick question... Does anyone know what colour the 'tail-plate' should be? I mean the flat panel at the very rear of the tail that the two tail guns come out of? Thanks!

J.

It was a canvass covering that the guns protruded through.

From wartime photos it can vary from an olive drab colour to a faded brown. Depends on age and weathering.

If you go for a olive drab-like green I don't think you'd be far off.

Tom

Well, I got the 2nd coat of camo done, touched up a few bits and pieces and also got the de-icing sections masked and painted on the leading edges of the wings, horizontal stabilisers and the tail. I'm happy enough with the camo, some sections I like (the inside trailing edge of the port wing) and some I don't (the ailerons). Tomorrow I'll run a critical eye over the paint job, fix any issues I see and then put the first gloss coat on! Might get the decals done over the weekend then, we'll see...

J.

Painted3_zps51d998ac.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great from here! Every inch a B-17F to me.

Question- Did the "Belle" have narrow black wing walkway stripes? i've seen them on other B-17s but couldn't remember whether or not B-17Fs had them.

david