Mig-21F-13 Cockpit Set (for Trumpeter) - 1:48 Neomega UK

Mig-21F-13 Cockpit Set (for Trumpeter)
1:48 Neomega UK

boxtop.jpg

The new Trumpeter Mig-21F-13 has been with us a short while now, but Neomega have been Jonny-on-the-spot and have already launched their replacement resin cockpit that not only improves the detail on the kit cockpit, but also corrects a few instruments that arent applicable to this early 2nd generation jet.

The set arrives in a small clamshell box with the label obscuring half the contents. It gives the impression of being one of those horrible heat-fused boxes that are so hard to open, but in fact it isn't. There is an internal removable "bottom" to the box that can be fished out without damage, allowing you to close it up again and keep the parts safe. Afterall, we all like to peruse our new purchases, don't we? Inside the box are eight resin parts on seven casting blocks, completely replacing the kit cockpit, instrument panel and coaming , as well as the small turtle-deck behind the pilot's seat.

sprue1.jpg

The resin is a pale grey colour with a matt surface texture, and is more brittle than some I have encountered, although not so brittle as to be a problem. It does make snapping the thin parts off their casting blocks easier though, as a swipe with a knife blade weakens the resin enough to snap it cleanly. The improvement to the detail is immediately evident, and this is especially clear in the cockpit tub, which has a lot of extra detail including some very finely cast cable bundles and ancillary equipment. The ejection seat is slimmer than the kit part, and comes with moulded in seatbelts that appear draped in a natural way, as well as being incredibly fine. The turtle-deck behind the pilot is festooned with snaking hoses, which will need a little clean-up, as their layout makes a little flash inevitable, while the coaming part needs none, having a nicely detailed HUD assembly, and more tiny wire bundles moulded in. The instrument panel has a depth lacking in the kit parts, and has raised detail within each bezel that could be painted to give a representation of the instruments within. The detail extends to the cockpit sidewall parts that are covered in boxes and small switches that seem to defy the laws of resin casting. Although I haven't yet removed the parts from their blocks, some rudimentary test-fitting seems to suggest that they will be a "click-fit" within the sides of the tub.

The only slight weakness is the control column, which has a couple of small flash marks running up its length. These may well clean off with a scrape of a blade, but they go over a couple of indented rings around the stick, which will need cleaning out with a scribe or sharp knife afterward. I should imagine that in order to free the part without damage, the mould had to be cut, which has caused these marks. There was no mould slip evident on the stick in my review sample though, which is a very good thing on a part this small.

Conclusion
There are no instructions with the set, but everything matches the kit layout, so that shouldn't be an issue. Moulding plugs are sensibly placed to reduce damage to the detail, but be aware that you will need to saw or Dremel off the plugs on the seat and the cockpit tub itself. Take precautions not to breathe in the debris from this work, as small particles aren't good for your lungs.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

I used a Neomega resin cockpit for my last EE Lightning build and it was a drop fit. I'm sure this cockpit will be the same way, and for me that's a big selling point. Trying to shoehorn resin cockpits in from other manufacturers takes out a lot of the fun of model making!

Andy

Great review boss! The pit is an absolute beauty! I did scratch my head at first at the lack of instructions but after a quick glance at the parts compared to the kit it's obvious which bits they replace!

Also Neomega have got some stick in the past about slow delivery times. I ordered mine Monday evening and it arrived Wednesday.