Database of light aircraft models

Scratchbuilder

Having been chasing Mew Gulls a couple of notes - there is a 1/72 Kiwi resin kit of the E3H version, also the Airframe kit, whilst coming with drawings (no decals) for G-AEXF (an E2H) is actually of the smaller E3H version.

Having been chasing Mew Gulls a couple of notes - there is a 1/72 Kiwi resin kit of the E3H version, also the Airframe kit, whilst coming with drawings (no decals) for G-AEXF (an E2H) is actually of the smaller E3H version.

There is also the nice Dekno kit of the E3H: http://www.deknomodels.com/Seleccio.asp

Miles ahead of old Dekno kits!

Thanks for posting about kits that aren't in the list. I'll add them in the next update I do (along with 100+ other kits I've been noting down since the last update). Most of the Mew Gulls I have listed are in the 'Race WW1-WW2' page with only 1 on the GA page (I'll move that to the Race page where it should be).

I must admit I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of new kits I have to add to the list (along with older ones that I have missed) because I originally thought that once I first completed this list, there would not be a lot of new additions.

Peter

Another couple of resin kits that may be among your 100+ extras: Dujin's Miles Merlin and the Legato Praga E114 Air Baby/Hillson Praga. I haven't spotted them earlier in the thread, but I may have missed them.

Peter

The Miles Merlin and the Praga weren't in my list of additions so thanks for these. Praga is another aircraft manufacturer that I had never heard of before and the E114 is a nice looking little aircraft.

The Beech Staggerwings are in the list along with a few other releases of the plane.

Peter

• 3 months later...

When it comes to civilian aircraft kits, it is really a shame that so many that many of you would like to see but never will.  So why not scratch-build your favorites as I did..

My present aircraft is a Grumman AA1A and I built a 1:32 scale model as I did with the 1946 Fleet 80 Canuck,  Both of these aircraft can be viewed on my web site http://www.barneysairforce.com

FleetCanuck017.jpg

IPMSVancouver2007039.jpg

Edited by Barneydhc82
Trying to figure out how to post photos here
  • Like 4

Some time around 1965, AMT produced a beautifully detailed 1:48 scale Stinson SR-9 Reliant.

I managed to snag one at the Vancouver IPMS show.  The finish represents a 1:1 scale bird that I was offered in 1974 for the outrages sum of $17,000 CDN

Barney

StinsonSR-9_027.jpg

• Like 3

IIRC Aurora released a number of Light aircraft in the late 1960's/70's in 1/72 scale namely Beech18s,Piper Aztec,Twin Comanche and Cherokee6.

The Airfix Beaver should be included having been operated by several airlines notably Qantas,Central African Airways and the Falkland Islands Government Air service.

At one time I had a 1/72 vac form Piper Navajo in the stash,sadly I cannot recall the brand.Shame I Sold it,the plan was to put it in either Air Anglia or Bcal livery.

I would love to see a  Beech Baron kit one day!

• Like 1

Here is the Roden Staggerwing in 1:48, a very nice kit.  This particular aircraft was delivered from the factory on floats.  The 1:1 scale bird is now flying again but on wheels, after  a 17 year restoration.

Barney

DSCN4239.jpg

• Like 1

On 5 October 2016 at 5:42 PM, jyguy said:

IIRC Aurora released a number of Light aircraft in the late 1960's/70's in 1/72 scale namely Beech18s,Piper Aztec,Twin Comanche and Cherokee6.

The Airfix Beaver should be included having been operated by several airlines notably Qantas,Central African Airways and the Falkland Islands Government Air service.

At one time I had a 1/72 vac form Piper Navajo in the stash,sadly I cannot recall the brand.Shame I Sold it,the plan was to put it in either Air Anglia or Bcal livery.

I would love to see a  Beech Baron kit one day!

Hi JYGuy,

I mentioned the mighty Airfix Beaver in the third comment on this very thread and I totally agree it's worthy of mention on this listing. I must have about 40 of 'em in my stash. One can never have enough Beaver.

There was a photo I saw many years ago of the Beaver production line, now that would make a fabulous diorama!

Regards

Reggie

• Like 1

Yes A Beaver production line diorama would be fabulous.Many Years ago I saw a huge model of the Harrier line at Kingston commissioned by Bae/Hawker -Siddely.At the risk of further thread drift I highly recommend "Think like a bird" by Alex Kimbell to any fan of the DHC2.

• Like 1

Another One for the list The Stampe SV4 biplane.Heller produced the Renault-engined version in a rather odd 1/50Th Scale and more recently Frrom-Azur have covered the type in 1/72 Scale.

On 08/10/2016 at 5:01 PM, jyguy said:

Yes A Beaver production line diorama would be fabulous.Many Years ago I saw a huge model of the Harrier line at Kingston commissioned by Bae/Hawker -Siddely.At the risk of further thread drift I highly recommend "Think like a bird" by Alex Kimbell to any fan of the DHC2.

I actually walked through that production line at Kingston,it was ''off limits'' to us oiks but by appearing like I belonged no one said a word!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jyguy said:

Hi JYGuy,

I've bought the book and waiting until the dark Winter nights to read it!

Regards

Reggie

I worked in the control tower at Downsview 1956=57 and it was interesting to see the Beavers, Otters and test rig twin Otter, every day.  Bur alas, no Beavers in RCAF markings.  I also so the near disastrous departure of Beaver 1000,a.k.a. CF-PCG which is still flying out of Vancouver, BC

Barney

• Like 1

Hi Gang:  There is a large number of Beavers of all configurations and paint schemes here on the West coast of Canada operating as air taxis as well as private toys .  Two of my friends each have one and a few years ago while I was still quite agile another friend asked if I had ever flown a Beaver.  

No but if you drill me on start up I'll fly it.  I had never been in a Beaver.  Walt ran the drill, lit the fire in the P@W 985 and off we went. from a narrow short grass strip.  What a flight considering that Walt was in the right seat with NO controls.

I did the initial test flight, after a lengthy rebuild of thi DHC 60M

Barney

RayandtheGypsy002.jpg

• Like 1

The Stampe SV.4 and an Avro 504N were done as 1/72 vacs by Expo Models for sale at the Southern Expo show.  My son Simon did the Flying Flea under my label and the Blackburn Lincock (both in 1/72 scale as injected kits. All of these types were used by Barn storming circuses in the 30's.

John