Rossi's factory Honda NSR500, 'Nastro Azzurro'. 1/12 Tamiya.

Peter Lloyd

Off the mark. I forgot how many bloody metallic shades are needed for a convincing bike... and so far I have none of them. I am going to have to bite the bullet and get the airbrush out I think. I resist airbrushing metallics because you have to keep the overspray- all of it- away from your other models or they get a lovely glittery shimmer. The airbrush also has to be scrupulously clean before trying to spray regular colours again.

It's tempting not to worry too much about the engine as it will mostly disappear under the fairing, but I suppose there should be something in life where I don't take the half-arsed approach.

I used mostly Humbrol silver, with some Testors Metalizer pigment goo added for variation. Reasonably pleased with my facsimile of Brembo gold.

2Enginebits_zps24b9146e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From memory the bodywork will be painted yellow, white and black, and the wheels dark gunmetal. The rest will be as per the decals.

Awww... And there's me thinking you were gonna paint it in the 2001 Mugello colours.

Ah, go arn... You know you wanna. :D

• Like 1

I was making dandy progress but my last efforts have been very disappointing.

It was time to finish the painting and then it's just decals and final assembly. BUT...

The bodywork will have to be stripped, primed and repainted because the yellow is very transparent (as yellow is)...

8Tankugly_zpsb9b59949.jpg

The gunmetal grey on the wheels has sparkles in it (this will probably be left):

7Wheelspeckly_zps7125a73d.jpg

And worst of all... I was looking forward to painting the expansion chambers in Model Master Metalizer to get the discolouration effect from when the chambers are welded together. BUT my MM has gone lumpy in storage and wouldn't spray properly, so I got Humbrol Metal Cote (all my local hobby shop has) which is very matt and not as attractive a finish... and it only comes in three silver-grey colours. On top of that my airbrush is worn out: the needle nozzle is splayed too much and it needs an ultrasonic clean out (at the very least). Whinge whinge, moan moan, my Honda looks pretty doo-doo at this stage:

Pipesugly_zps44379951.jpg

I don't know if it's accurate or not, but the sparkles in the gunmetal look really cool - I think you're right to leave them.

For the welds, you could try spraying ink or a (very) thin layer of plain paint over the base metal to tint it - could make your palette of metals go further?

W

Hiya peter

If you have a read of my NR thread, you'll see I had an issue or two like yours.if I might suggest, try Tamiya white primer then use mist coats of yellow to build up the color. It takes time, but it's worth it. It's easy to do with rattle cans too.

Also, if you spray Tamiya clear over the wheels, the flecks will prob disappear, or at least subdue.

Hang in there man, it's fun remember...

And btw, your engine looks excellent.

Thanks guys, good to see the plastic bike fraternity is just as fraternal as the conventional two-wheeled equivalent.

My issue has more been my spray gun packing up, the nozzle on the Iwata has flared out after four years and about 60 models, so I only get spray at one particular needle position... combined with lumpy paint and moving the whole rig outside the house for metallic paint it was enough to throw me into an embarrassing, effeminate tizzy. To be honest, spraying the colours on the expansion chambers was the major attraction of doing a 2-stroke!

A Badger 150 has been drafted in so I still expect to make deadline.

Steve, I'll give a darkened clear coat a go because the wheels also look too matt.

In other, large-scale news, my 94 YZF750 now has a donor shock absorber and forks/brakes from my deceased 2007 R6.

Interested parties might like to spend a few minutes looking at how I came to have R6 parts to donate...

TOP TIP....

I'd definitely give up track days!!!

First 'incident' that track looks like a patchwork quilt! Nasty, nasty surface.....bumpy like a teenagers face!

What happened on the second 'incident'? Braking??

ATB.......

TOP TIP....

I'd definitely give up track days!!!

First 'incident' that track looks like a patchwork quilt! Nasty, nasty surface.....bumpy like a teenagers face!

What happened on the second 'incident'? Braking??

ATB.......

Same incident from two cameras. Crash was the result of hitting a lump on the back straight. Everyone knows it's there, usually you ride to the side of it, I had been riding over it but on this occasion I rode over it with weight forward, landed on the front wheel, tankslapper, crash. It was my first full day there on the twitchy R6, my KTM Superduke doesn't mind the bumps.

The track is pretty poor but Tasmania is a bit of a time warp, I'm happy to have a track (two in fact) I can use for $60 in a friendly club atmosphere. Track days at Phillip Island and Eastern Creek are upwards of $250 for much less time, with circuit Nazis preventing the use of cameras (you have to pay 'their' guy) and generally allowing their racer mates to carve everyone up.

The Honda is sitting beside me. I was unable to use the Badger because I didn't have the right air hose, but having just bought one I'm going to paint today and hope the GB isn't closed off.

C'mon Pete,

I wasn't able to use the Badger because you didnt have the right hose, and that was 4 months ago.

While I have not riden around the track in the footage, I have driven round it (Mazda RX2 Coupe) and it is all kinds of lumpy............fun though.

• Like 1

I wasn't able to use the Badger because you didnt have the right hose, and that was 4 months ago.

Yeah, but I was so sure I actually had the hose somewhere... in my pre-Iwata days I had a zillion of the friggin' things.

Hmm, the door here is still unlocked, eh.

With a cheapo Bunnings (think Wal-Mart) single action airbrush I continue.

Git the yellow done... I did not persist on the seam in the helmet recess on top of the tank, and I'm hoping other imperfections and cat hairs will polish out and/or decal over:

10Bodyworkinyellow_zps683b4201.jpg

Exhausts, the sweethearts. They got a coat of Alclad duralumin that I found in a drawer, applied right over everything else. Then did some rings of Tamiya clear orange and Gunze clear smoke with Tamiya clear blue added. I failed to anticipate that blue + orange = green, who'd have thought, but these are not going to be glued in place and will be re-done one day with a real airbrush.

9Pipesbetter_zpse0f169b4.jpg