Lidl compressor with machinemart regulator and trap

AndyGB

Hi All

Back in late 2012 I got one of the 'Lidl specials' airbrush and compressor kits to see how I got on with airbrushing.

Using the single action airbrush that came with it and also a cheap badger single action brush it works ok for broad areas but obviously not for any detail work as the pressure is not changeable.

Looking at pictures of airbrush compressors on various websites they appear to be the same as the Lidl one, but with a regulator and trap fitted. So I've fitted a separate trap and regulator from Machine-Mart, thinking that this would give me the same facility.

So now the question. When I use the single action airbrush without the regulator using the supplied adaptor the compressor is on all the time and appears to be delivering a constant pressure regardless of whether I am triggering the airbrush or not (there is a very small hole in the adaptor for the badger connector which allows air out to reduce pressure). When I use the trap and regulator with a double action brush connected directly the compressor starts to struggle and then dies unless I am triggering air from the brush, see the video below. Is this how 'normal' non-tank airbrush compressors work or should I stop being a cheapskate and (once I am working again) buy a compressor specifically designed for airbrushing ?

The video. Note the pressure gauge works ok but drops to 0 when the compressor dies and then picks up again when I trigger the air on the brush. Also the drain tap on the moisture trap appears to open and close (ignore the fact the regulator moves, I just need to put some PTFE tape on there as having it properly tight means it faces downwards !)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2jYHZHo9PQ&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Andy

I am not familiar with that compressor, however there really only needs to be 1 place where you bleed off the air. That would be the regulator. Not sure how you can plug the small hole for the badger connector

The compressor is stopping due to back pressure. Take a look at the regulator. It may be hard to see, but there may be IN with an arrow and Out with an arrow. This is where you make the hose fitting connections. Perhaps the regulator is connected incorrectly. The air from the compressor is going into the out feed. Air IN from compressor to the regulator, then OUT to the Airbrush

Hey I did it myself many years ago.

According to the Clarke web site:

"The regulator should ideally be connected to a fixed airline or mounted to the outlet of the compressor. An arrow, moulded under the body of the unit, indicates the direction in which the air should flow."

"To adjust the delivery air pressure, pull the regulator cap upwards and twist clockwise to increase/anti-clockwise to decrease the outlet pressure. The outlet pressure is displayed by the gauge. When the pressure is correct, press the cap back to lock and retain the setting."

Edited by Av8fan

I've checked and there isn't an adjuster under the filter so that is ruled out. The arrow on the filter and regulator are both pointing outwards, towards the brush.

I've attached the regulator directly to the compressor and the same thing happens. I think the regulator is simply restricting the flow of air to a greater or lesser extent as the adjuster is turned on top but there is nowhere for the excess air to go and so the back pressure builds up.

I've just dropped these people a note to see if the regulator they have has a relief valve/adjuster as from the picture it seems to have the knurled nut/washer you mentioned earlier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Filter-Regulator-1-4-Ports-Air-compressors-/110627184626?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item19c1e4dff2

Hi Andy,

Yeah sorry about my previous post. Lack of sleep is my excuse. My Iwata only had the knurl knobs for pressure regulation. so when I saw that, I figured AHA...then I noted the RC unit.

So, your lifting the top adjusting knob, turning left or right as required, and the compressor is still dealing with back pressure locking it up.

I am wondering if the regulator that you have is defective to be honest. Since the operation is good without the moisture trap/regulator, I think that the regulator is the culprit. I am assuming that you tried fully open (counter clockwise), and if it still locks up, it has to be the regulator. I think the regulator is not bleeding off enough air.

Glad to see that the Ebay supplier also does fittings. When I replaced my regulator, that became the next issue lol.

The unit on ebay would adjust from the top. the knurl on the bottom would be for draining the water that will be collected during operation.

Edited by Av8fan

I think I may be able to help here ...

Firstly, the norm is to put the regulator before the filter. Thereby filtering out any nasties (water or particles) just before use.

There should be arrows on the castings pointing in the direction that you need to mount them. This is vital for both units. They should both point from the compressor toward the airbrush connection.

The pressure is reduced or increased by the adjusting knob on the regulator. As stated, you will need to pull that up until it snaps into place, then turn it to the pressure you want. The 'snap' feature is a safety thing, but as you will probably be the only one using it, personally I wouldn't push it back down. Your choice.

The filter has an automatic drain - nothing to do with pressure regulation. It lets out any moisture that is in the bottom.

Also you will need to put some PTFE tape on that connection - you will be losing loads of air. All connections should be airtight!

Hope this helps!

Edited by Jeepers Creepers

The unit as sold obviously bleeds away enough air to allow the motor to run all the time.

With your new setup this is not working and I suspect not suitable for a unit that runs all the time as there is no bleed valve.

I can see two simple solutions, install an inline mac valve/quick release connector (£16) onto the end of the supplied hose after the bleedrmechinism that is supplied. You can then run Badger, aztek etc via a quick release connector(£4 each).

You don't get a readout of the pressure, but that is not critical, but it does give you compatibility for whatever brush you use as long as you get a quick release adapter for it.

Alternatively, a combined moisture trap/regulator with a bleed valve, rather than a top operated regulator (like the ones fitted on the Iwata sprint jet and our little-jet), should work. Then you connect your current hose to the 1/4 male adapter, these are priced at £25.

Hope that helps,

Paul

• Like 1

Many years ago i did spray finishing on the furniture i was making which involved a lot of tinting in between coats and this called for varying amounts of pressure, an expert taught me a trick, and that was to hold the air pipe in my other hand with a bend in it, by simply pressing or releasing that would control he amount of air reaching the gun; it didnt take too long to get the knack of it.

i did start off with a cheap single action airbrush and the method worked; However I prefer to hold my model in my hand when spraying, but I am sure with some practice it would be possible to do it in the same hand as your airbrush.

• 1 month later...

AV8, no need for an apology, all suggestions are welcome.

I've spoken to Paul and have a new regulator/trap with bleed valve (plus adapter) on it's way which will hopefully sort the issue.

What did you get in the end and did it sort out your issue? I have one of the same compressors and I'm just curious to know how it's working out for you? Cheers!

What did you get in the end and did it sort out your issue? I have one of the same compressors and I'm just curious to know how it's working out for you? Cheers!

No idea if it worked for AndyGB but the Paul referred too is Paul at little-cars.com at post #6 on this thread. He's the man to speak to if you need some help.

Mike.

Edited by AngloSaxon
  • Like 1

I've not heard anything from him, so I assume the solution worked.

Paul

• 2 years later...

The unit as sold obviously bleeds away enough air to allow the motor to run all the time.

With your new setup this is not working and I suspect not suitable for a unit that runs all the time as there is no bleed valve.

I can see two simple solutions, install an inline mac valve/quick release connector (£16) onto the end of the supplied hose after the bleedrmechinism that is supplied. You can then run Badger, aztek etc via a quick release connector(£4 each).

You don't get a readout of the pressure, but that is not critical, but it does give you compatibility for whatever brush you use as long as you get a quick release adapter for it.

Alternatively, a combined moisture trap/regulator with a bleed valve, rather than a top operated regulator (like the ones fitted on the Iwata sprint jet and our little-jet), should work. Then you connect your current hose to the 1/4 male adapter, these are priced at £25.

Hope that helps,

Paul

hi there im new to these forums and i am experiencing the same issue as andygb would you be so kind as to add a link or point me in the right direction where i can get the appropriate bleed valve filter / regulator combo sorry if this reply is very late to the game but im quite desperate for help and would like to actually get spraying :)