Steampunk Leman Russ Tank

Hi everyone, here's my latest steampunk build.

The GW Leman Russ tank kit makes a good base for a steampunk project - it has the WWI rhomboid-like shape and side sponsons which fit perfectly with the steampunk genre.

There are a few things wrong with it to my mind though; The kit guns are massively overscale and their breeches would never be able to fit into the hull/turret/sponsons. Likewise any real vehicle with tracks narrower than the guides would just bog down so I decided to make a few changes along the way.........

Gun barrels are from RBM and the tracks are an old Accurate Armour resin set for a Churchill I had in my spares box.

There'll be a boiler, water tank, crank and flywheel to add plus the obligatory pipework and, of course, several hundred rivets!

As you can see, I've only really just got started...... Hopefully make better progress next week.

LR1_zps7f45c322.jpg

LR4_zps1f6004e5.jpg

LR3_zpsfab0a549.jpg

LR2_zps2a65f562.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress.....

Turret is coming together and I've started work on the back end, adding the boiler and water tank. Just wish it didn't involve making and placing so many b#&@%y rivets. The attrition rate between those punched out and those actually making it onto the model is ridiculous!

I've got a coal bunker made up but need to finish the pipe work before it can be added. At this rate it might just about be finished by summer :weep:

LR5_zpscae6cb3e.jpg

LR8_zps0c67abd1.jpg

LR6_zps471b5458.jpg

LR7_zps1d990660.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

At last! Some progress worth sharing with everyone. The 'rear end' is finally coming together and I'm still punching out those b***** rivets. Hopefully better progress next week or two (but I've said that before).

Cheers

DaveLR9_zps726b4288.jpg

LR10_zps48267692.jpg

LR11_zps1db99345.jpg

LR12_zpsb5428c0a.jpg

LR13_zps60fc7522.jpg

LR14_zpsb07d8aac.jpg

LR15_zps9e6ba7aa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, it's been quite a while since I made any progress on this build but here's the latest installment.

Just got the final big end and conrod to finish and then it's just about ready for some paint.- probaly going to be khaki drab. Decals will be home made to tie in with the steampunk theme bettter than the stock GW ones.

LR16_zpsd6d29c6a.jpg

LR17_zpsa57605c4.jpg

LR19_zpsad938303.jpg

LR18_zps29611589.jpg

LR20_zps9d9e6ea1.jpg

Hopefully make better progress next week - but then I've said that before!

Bandit1250