Two from MPC.... from a long long time ago.... X wing & Imperial shuttle

Built these two years and years ago, long before Fine Molds kits had arrived on the scene.

Thought I'd dust them down for a few photographs and give them an airing.

Didn't have much reference material when they were built, but then the studio models differ greatly.Any additions and tweaks were from the spares bin or plastic card and strips.

Hope you enjoy them.

IMG_1285_zps723dc10e.jpg

IMG_1292_zpsacc7a153.jpg

IMG_1299_zps3efd41dd.jpg

IMG_1300_zps605ccf65.jpg

IMG_1306_zpse704c769.jpg

IMG_1309_zps5f98d691.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice... I have a lot of old MPC knocking about in very shabby condition. Makes me a bit ashamed really, especially the AT-AT that's been waiting (forever) for a re-paint :blush:

• Like 1

I think that's the best rendition of those two MPC kits I've seen. I've the x-wing ready for a rainy day, hopefully I can get somewhere near the finish you've achieved. What was the build like an what colours did you use?

• Like 1

It's that long ago... honest!

From what I remember the X-wing was ok. Needs a bit of sanding on the nose and either side of the wings on the fuselage. And also the canopy was glued on, the joints around it filled and sanded. There's some recessed areas on the insides of the wings which I added detail to, Just plastic card and strip. The guns I strengthened with some brass rod, which I think is one of the best things to do. I'm sure they would have been snapped by now if I hadn't.

Colours were just Humbrol US Navy aircraft greys. FS26440 or whatever was nearest, with a few panels in other shades and the nosecone in radome tan with a bit of grey over spray. The markings are the kit decals which were quite thick. I just scrapped a few little holes in them for paint chipping when they were still on the sheet and it worked ok. Trimmed the carrier film right off too, and a coat of matt varnish over the whole thing at the end.

Probably not as easy as a Fine Mold kit but it was enjoyable enough. If I had of had more images to work from I maybe would have tried to make it look more studio like as some of them were very heavily weathered. But I was happy enough with it at the time, and my friends who liked Star Wars seemed to think it was cool.

The Shuttle is another story, and could turn you to the dark side!

I built the Shuttle an age ago, before I stopped modelling in my 20s and 30s.

It was a dog, even by the standards of the day. Yours is a triumph from what I remember of it.

J.

Edited by JaseGill
  • Like 1