Tamiya F-15A - 1/48

I'm going to admit the thing that has been really holding me up over the weekend is figuring out how to mask the camo pattern. I tried blue-tak rolls and tamiya tape but just couldn't get the shapes right and in the right place. It's was driving me nuts! :blush:

So, I've decided to use a little artistic licence and end up with hard edges which I'll hopefully soften once it's done. Before I started masking I have sprayed the dark grey in the approximate areas so I could mask it off then spray the lighter grey on top.

I started off by enlarging the original plans from tamiya on a photocopier.

IMAG0165_zpsfee4912c.jpg

I'm in the fortunate position of having a good copier at work but any good photocopy shop should be able to sort this out. All you need is 2 reference measurements, one on the plan and the other on the actually plastic. I took the front of the intake, on the plans 4.5mm and 14mm at the corresponding point on the intake. It's then a simple matter of banging these in to the copier's zoom ratio and letting it do the maths.

So, on to making my home-brew masks.

After laying a layer of masking tape on a clean cutting mat, making sure the edges crossed over well.

IMAG0166_zpsa1542d69.jpg

Trace out the camo area on the plan on top of the tape with a blunt pencil.

IMAG0167_zpsfd29234e.jpg

Which transfers the outline to the tape.

IMAG0168_zps994673d6.jpg

After a quick run round with a knife and careful remove from the mat, making sure to take the lowest strip of tape first! And, hey-presto, a ready made mask. :)

IMAG0169_zpsaf5ff339.jpg

Only a couple of areas left to do tomorrow and get some paint on to see how it's worked out.

IMAG0170_zps61b76bc9.jpg

If this is a bit of Modelling 101 I'm sorry for trying to teach people how to suck eggs but I'm feeling pretty pleased with my result on this and thought I would share it. :D:blush:

Edited by DannyB

Getting there mate, keep it up!

Dave

Cheers mate, I'm really going to try and push for the deadline next Monday. Might have to forgo some of the sticky-on bits but should get the main airframe done.

Always good to share ideas!!

Second that... :guitar:

Cheers guys, I spend all my time coping other peoples ideas from here, or as I prefer to call it 'gathering inspiration' :lol:, so thought I would try and give back a little.

Nice trick with the masking there..

Looks like there might be a tad too much ally colouring underneath though? - a lot of those areas aren't bare metal...

Cheers Chris, I've gone from the point recommended by tamiya, and looking at references it can be a bit tricky to figure out, so I stuck with the OOB feeling. :)

Here it doesn't look as high up.

75-0020_00.jpg

But here it looks about right :S

75-0065_00.jpg

(both images linked from http://www.f-15.nl/tweede.html )

A bit more done tonight. :)

Got the lighter grey on top, haha the little hiccup with the wrong grey has actually worked out pretty well. I put the light grey down in thin coats and it's held some of the modulation and preshading. Excuse the poor pictures so I'll try to get a couple more in daylight tomorrow. :)

Finally got the right grey, before the masking came off.

IMAG0172_zps6ec8631c.jpg

And with the masking tape removed.

IMAG0173_zps035ea8ff.jpg

I've got a couple of areas to tidy up where the tape had lifted a little, and want to add a bit of post-shading. Then it's on with the gloss coat and trying out the 30+ year old decals. :pilot:

I've got a couple of areas to tidy up where the tape had lifted a little, and want to add a bit of post-shading. Then it's on with the gloss coat and trying out the 30+ year old decals. :pilot:

30 year old decals, cue the music...

Cheers guys, I'm really happy with the result, though the subtle changes in colour have become even more subtle now the paint has fully dried!

Not too sure what I'm going to do if the decals fail, haven't really got the time to source some aftermarket ones, and there's only really 2 sets out there that would be any good! Both from twobobs, sunshine state eagles or candy cane ones, which include most of the stencilling as well. Expert choice have got a couple of examples of F-15A's but these are without stencils. :bangin:

Started applying the decals last night

IMAG0176_zpsd8f6724a.jpg

And, so far so good with the stencils but the larger decals, tail codes and stars and bars are a little on the fragile side! It would seem as though the white decals haven't faired so well with age, as I tried to apply one of the white tail codes to do a WA bird but it feel apart before it came off the backing paper, but the hopefully one of the black tail codes will be a lot better!

Haha, it was the only way of stopping it from reaching terminal velocity out of the window in case the decals had fallen apart! :lol:

Though it is not fast going, if anyone wants to know how to apply old decals it is sloooowwwwly. They take an age to lift off the back paper and even once they do there is no guarantee they are going to stick. Nice and sharp though considering their age, especially some of the smaller stencils, better than some modern day decals. :)

IMAG0177_zpse3d343a3.jpg

Cheers guys! :)

Well, still applying decals. The collection of stencils is very extensive and fir the sake of getting this finished I've decided to ignore most of the smaller ones, to do all of them I'd still be here this time next month! :banghead:

IMAG0179_zps54c948cf.jpg

But the good news is she at least now has an identity :)

IMAG0178_zpsebaf570f.jpg

Airframe 76-075 of 49th Fighter Wing at Hollman AB

And we're done :)

Just under the wire with 24 hours to the deadline!

IMAG0191_zps0e952642.jpg

IMAG0189_zps1c713597.jpg

Will get the rest up in the gallery later.

I've really enjoyed this and considering we've moved house and I've lost my modelling area in the process I'm amazed I actually got it finished!

Cheers guys, thanks for all the advice and support during this one! :)

Cheers guys :)

It certainly was a little touch-and-go towards the end! I used humbrol varnish for the gloss and matt coats, without much success! The gloss coat just went down chalky and has completely dulled the metal areas at the back. Then, when I applied the flory panel line wash as usual it wouldn't budge, ended up having to use tamiya thinners to get it to shift! :wall::blink2: