Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt BF 109E 4 - Link to Ready for Inspection on page 2

MPaul

Well this is my second WIP thread, and will be my fourth model of the year.

Many will not count my Revells Micro Wings as they are small simple kits, but as a returnee to modelling, they have helped me get back in the swing of things, and also my Tornado GR1 1/144.

So in a bigger scale (and more than likely the scale I will stay with due to space/finance etc) this is my 1/72 Messerschmit BF 109E 4, from Airfix.

I hope I am not biting off more than I can chew, as I have read about wing dihedralm issues, problems removing some of the smaller parts from the sprues etc, and also the fact that the Airfix painting instructions are incorrect apparently for the aircraft designation the kit portrays.

For these reasons, I am going to be very careful removing any parts (something I thought would make sense all the time anyway), and it is also going to painted in a scheme I decide upon, using the kit decals, so will in effect be fictitious.

So, as I am likely to start this tomorrow, for now, there is only the obligatory Box and sprue shot. More to follow tomorrow hopefully.

20130126_192507.jpg

Edited by MPaul

Made a start with the painting just now, and the aim is to have the cockpit wrapped up by the end of tonight.

20130127_141202.jpg

Well progress been slower than expected, as I was watching The Right Stuff at the same time , awesome film.

Got the office done and encountered the problem of the decal for the instruments being way to big, so had to cut it up, use some of them, and so the IP doesnt resemble a real 109 that much, but I still think it looks ok.

Havent fitted the gunsight yet, but here it is so far:

20130127_185229.jpg</p>
<p> </p>
<p>20130127_185141.jpg</p>
<p> </p>
<p>20130127_185029.jpg

Also did a little painting of the side details. I am still very new to this, and my hand isnt that steady, so excuse the inaccuracy/novice nature

20130127_185702.jpg

I am considering scratch building the yellow fuel line on the starboard side, so will see what happens there.

Comments and/or advice welcome

Edited by MPaul

Made the yello fuelpipe from some copper wire.

Its not accurate in shape, but adds a bit of interest to the cockpit. I attached it to the tub itself so to avoid it being knocked off when joining the fuselage halves

20130127_225706.jpg

And the joined the halves

20130127_232036.jpg

Hope tomorrow evening to get the engine painted and the cowlings fitted, and also the wings.

Are you sure that pipe should be there?

I think the yellow pipe was only on Fs onwards and that in Es and earlier think the pipe was on the port side (and wasnt yellow)

However, as I stated in my original post, this is a fictitious build, and is perhaps an E undergoing an MLI or something. It was just to add some interest, and a bit of an exercise for me. The plane wont be 100 % accurate as stated.

Nice start there mate, I personally wouldn't know where to start with the cockpit, but you've done a cracking job to my eye. :)

Have looked at this kit myself a few times, so will be watching this with interest. Got a few 109's decals in my AM stuff, also a plane I have never built either now I think about it... Weird...

As for the microwings, if you glue if together ill call it a model. :)

Will watch this with interest :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

Cheers Dazz, thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

Well, I am hoping that this model is going to serve as a good platform for developing some skills.

Although I am going to be fitting the engine cowling, I decided to paint the engine a bit. I also did some drybrushing on it. I am not sure it comes out all that well in the pictures, but I am pleased that I am starting to get the hang of it a bit.

20130128_175124.jpg

20130128_175027.jpg

I also encountered the problem with the dihedral when fitting the wing assembly

These are the wings when assembled:

20130128_174151.jpg

And this is what they look like when fitted, totally flat:

20130128_174235.jpg

So after a bit of sanding of the wing root assembly on the fuselage, I have this:

20130128_191431.jpg

A lot better I think, Perhaps could have done with a little more sanding, but in honesty, the plastic was starting to get a bit thin, and I didnt want to risk ruining the model.

I had the same dihedral issue on mine. My tailplane strut holes were not symmetrical either, nor did my instrument decal fit, nor did the windscreen...or the wing halves themselves for that matter.

Did you have a thread on Pistonheads?

I am getting some of the issues people report, but not all.

The IP panel decal was too large, and yes, there was the dihedral issue. However, the engine cowling firs (some said it is too small) and the wing halves joined together with no issues. Obviously I havent reached the other possible issues so far.

However, even as an inexperienced modeller (see first post in this thread) I havent really been too bothered by these, as it gives me a chance to learn how to overcome them, and is giving me a sense of achievement that I am able to do that. Really enjoyinh making the kit, and am happy with every stage so far.

Did you have a thread on Pistonheads?

I am getting some of the issues people report, but not all.

The IP panel decal was too large, and yes, there was the dihedral issue. However, the engine cowling firs (some said it is too small) and the wing halves joined together with no issues. Obviously I havent reached the other possible issues so far.

However, even as an inexperienced modeller (see first post in this thread) I havent really been too bothered by these, as it gives me a chance to learn how to overcome them, and is giving me a sense of achievement that I am able to do that. Really enjoyinh making the kit, and am happy with every stage so far.

Yeah, and on here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234920264-airfix-bf109e-4-von-werra-172/

The issues were of no consequence to me whatsoever in practical terms, but the fact that a much vaunted brand new tool kit had so many faults annoyed me.

One nice thing about this kit (apart from the price) is that the panel lines are fairly restrained compared with the usual Airfix trenches. A bit of preshading brings them out very nicely. I had no problem with the engine cover fit BTW.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for that dr_gn.

Well have done a little bit more on this

The tailplane supports were very fragile, and one almost snapped when cutting from the sprues, despite being as careful as I could and using a fresh blade.

Also fitted the flaps.

20130129_165247.jpg

20130129_165224.jpg

Yeah that was the case, and they were so fragile to remove, really diffcult to clean up the part after removal from the sprue as they were so soft and fragile.

It certainly is getting there now. Hopefully get the painting done tomorrow, at least the underside, and the splinter camo on top.

Got some painting done today. The colours are what I have in my Revell Aqua Colours, and there are not many matches for the correct colours, so I used the colours recommended in the Revell BF109 kit.

I had a bit of a go with a mottle/stippled side camo, and I just cant make my mind up about it. Obviously I am brush painting. I am going to keep it as is now, and its now the splinter camo I dont think I like lol.

So, exhausts fitted now too, and hopefully give it a Klear coat before bed, in preparation for decals tomorrow

20130130_183303.jpg

20130130_194056.jpg

20130130_194028.jpg

So after a couple of gloss coats last night.....I have just completed the decalling today. It took a fair while, and have used Micro Sol on some of the decals. Once that is dry, another coat of Klear, then I can hopefully look at fitting the guns, aerial and UC legs.

Pics for now:

20130131_144306.jpg

20130131_144320.jpg

• Like 2

Looks pretty good. The mottling might have benefitted from an airbrush, then again some photos I've seen look just like that. Did Von Werra's have any side mottling or not?

If you're considering matt coating it, I can recommend Humbrol #49 Acrylic matt (in a spray can).

Nice job mate as also, many thanks to Airfix for providing us with a very good kit of the specific aircraft in 1/72.

Keep up the good work!!

Cheers

Sernak

Many thanks for your comments. I am enjoying making the kit, despite the challenges it has presented.

Looks pretty good. The mottling might have benefitted from an airbrush, then again some photos I've seen look just like that. Did Von Werra's have any side mottling or not?

If you're considering matt coating it, I can recommend Humbrol #49 Acrylic matt (in a spray can).

Yeah I didnt have an airbrush, so did the best I could and now the decals are on, I quite like the results.

Some of the smaller parts didnt survive intact when trying to remove them from the sprues, so I have done as best as I can, and had to make an aerial from some stretched sprue. Having trouble connecting the antenna cable to the tail though, so will have to see what I can do tomorrow.

Many thanks for your comments. I am enjoying making the kit, despite the challenges it has presented.

Yeah I didnt have an airbrush, so did the best I could and now the decals are on, I quite like the results.

Some of the smaller parts didnt survive intact when trying to remove them from the sprues, so I have done as best as I can, and had to make an aerial from some stretched sprue. Having trouble connecting the antenna cable to the tail though, so will have to see what I can do tomorrow.

Try stretching some sprue really thin, then cut it to length and secure with a couple of tiny dots of PVA adhesive.

Try stretching some sprue really thin, then cut it to length and secure with a couple of tiny dots of PVA adhesive.

Thanks for the tip. I had stretched some already, but was having difficuty actually getting it to join. The PVA has done the trick though.

Bloody Hell mate, you got through that one quick! A very nice build tho. :goodjob:

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Aye, its gone together pretty well, and as it nears completion, I am pretty pleased with the results.

I was considering entering it for the STGB, but didnt think I would have had it completed in time, turns out I would have. Never mind, doesnt detract from enjoying making it, and hopefully a half decent end result.

Edited by MPaul
  • Like 1

Well, its finished now, forgot to mask the canopy when I matt varnished!! so for the benefit of the model, we will have to presume it represents the plane sitting on a cold morning, with some condensation on the canopy lol

So here is the antenna wire:

20130202_120308_zps4c6b2e13.jpg

And in this one I think you can see the small decals which number the sections of the fuselage:

20130202_121039_zps58aa939d.jpg

Well its now finished, and I am very pleased with the result. Its been a learning experience, but then again, this is my 4th model. There is room for improvement, and all I can say is, I cant wait to start my next model. Thanks to dr_gn, the matt varnish was a great touch.

Link to Ready For Inspection:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934190-airfix-172-messerschmitt-bf-109e-4/

Edited by MPaul

Damn, I was going to mention canopy masking too, but I assumed you'd know for some reason. Sorry.

You could always send for a new canopy. I wonder if gloss varnish on the 'glass' bits would improve it?

Not too worry, it was my fault. I am learning all the time.

I did consider it, just not sure how easy it will be to remove the existing one as its CA'd on there.

Tried a couple of coats of clear, and also tried a thin wash of black to try and make it appear more translucent, but nothing has worked. Never mind, it will be going in a display cabinet when I move shortly, and so wont be seen that much really, and I still enjoy looking at the model.