Dragon 1/9 Iron Man Mk VII

Hi all,

This is my 1st WIP thread so I hope you enjoy.

This is the Dragon Iron Man Mk VII Suit from the Avengers Movie.

I was in London last weekend on my way home and happened to come across it in the Holborn Model Zone.

I just had to buy it.

Will be doing it clean and neat, not like me at all, I normally go for major weathering.

So far built as per instructions, it almost falls together, just need to read instructions carefully, trim from sprue and glue together. As a result this thread at the interesting bit, paint.

He has been built, undercoated with Alclad grey undercoat and micro-filler and since had a single coat of Alclad Gloss Black,

dragonironmanmkvii4.th.jpgdragonironmanmkvii3.th.jpgdragonironmanmkvii2.th.jpgdragonironmanmkvii1.th.jpg

Next is to give him another coat of Gloss Black and then Alclad Gold and where necessary the Silver Trim areas too. The gold and silver areas will then get masked so that I can airbrush Alclad Clear Red over the gold which should give the nice red, almost maroon tint of his armour. Then its clear coat and he should be done.

Its my 1st use of Alclad in anger and I have to say so far I'm very impressed and its not given me, or my TR1 airbrush any grief.

He looks a bit dusty in the pics, but I think that's just a trick of the light.

The head looks a bit weird at the moment, thats because its not quite pushed all the way on yet, that'll come when all of the painting is done.

Constructive criticism is as usual very welcome.

J.

Snapper,

Just shown my missus the pics so far and even she is interested.
Says it looks better to her than the usual crap I do. Though in her mind he should stay gloss black.
Women!!!

• Like 1

Hi Jase,

good work so far. I have only got to the base structure being glued together on mine. To be honest, I was trying to work out how to do this one as I was thinking about sub assembling the limbs and body as separate units to paint but it all got a bit confusing.

I will be looking at your progress with interest.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks. Much appreciated.

This is actually in sub assemblies. The body and legs are one and the arms and head are separate. I'm hoping it'll make the silver and gold masking easier in the long run.

I only put them together for the pictures. The fit is so good I don't think I will even glue the arms and head on, just push them on once complete, I'd have done the same with the legs except there are some trim bits that make that impossible. It will make it easy to transport it that way if ever I need to. Same deal for the steel rod into the base, its such a good fit that its glued into the foot but push fitted snugly into the base.

Rgds,

J.

Has anyone tries Alclad Mirrored Gold for Lexan. I'm going to give it a go tonight but not sure its as good as Pale Gold for Iron Man.

This is the only Gold I have been able to procure so far. May have to do a quick Hannants order.

Rgds,

J.

Stupid me,

Looked at http://alclad2.com/how-to/ and it looks like Mirrored Gold will be fine over gloss black.

Rgds,

J.

Ok,
So the Gold is on. I used the Mirrored Gold for Lexan over the Gloss Black.

Looks pretty good for me, I somehow wiped off the liquid mask once painted on his knee so I hope that is OK as I guess I wont see until I've masked the Gold and painted the Clear Red on.

I feel like calling him Golden B**ls or Golden Rod (in a Han Solo wisecrack voice of course) in this colour. Cant say I'm too worried about the Vinyl C3PO kit I have anymore, either I'm very lucky or Alclad is idiot proof so far.

Hopefully all will be fine. Stay Tuned.

J.

moebiusironmanmkivgold1.th.jpgmoebiusironmanmkivgold9.th.jpgmoebiusironmanmkivgold8.th.jpgmoebiusironmanmkivgold7.th.jpgmoebiusironmanmkivgold6.th.jpg

Oh I'm bound to muck it up somehow along the line Screech don't worry.

It all down to a good kit, a good airbrush and a good paint. I just randomly applied Glue and directed the Airbrush :)
Thanks though, much appreciated.

You're doing a great job so far! Was considering getting one before Christmas and you've made my decision for me. I'll be interested to see how the clear red works out as I was thinking of using Alclad candy red.

Cheers,

Sean

I should have kept my mouth shut.

As predicted I messed something up. Liquid masked the arm and leg joints (with Micro Mask) which had been painted Alclad Aluminium in preparation for the Gold.

When I removed the mask it also removed the Alclad Silver right back to the black gloss in places and where it didnt it left the paint very dull. Not the effect I was hoping for.

It looks like a paint strip as far as the black is possibly required.

Could it have been me? Should I have left the silver for longer to dry/bond with the black or have given it a coat of Future or other Gloss before applying the Gold? Was it the Micro Mask that destroyed the bond between the Aluminium and Black?

It will be a few days to clean up and get to a good black undercoat I think.

J.

I've found that most metallics, Alclad or otherwise, respond poorly to liquid masks. Far better to use a decent quality fine masking tape such as Tamiya or Tristar....use the ultra narrow type for the demarcation lines as it will stretch and conform to compound curves, then fill in the bulk areas with the wider stuff.

Looking great so far by the way...

Thanks Jargon.

I should have stuck to tried and tested. As is I'm stripping it now then I'm re-coating black and gold soonest.
Decided to do the silver parts once the red is on and it has a couple good layers of gloss coat :)

J.

I used Micro Mask on the Alclad pale gold on my Iron Man when painting the red,didn't have any issues with it removing paint or dulling it?

Must be just me Oily, although it seems others aren't massive fans either. Or I didn't leave it long enough to cure properly.

Did you gloss or clear coat it before adding the red? Or maybe leave it longer than the day or two I did to cure.

I've just re-done the helmet in Gold and then Red. It looks great. I will hopefully have some pics up later.

The rest is now stripped, undercoated and black glossed. I'll be hopefully putting some gold on tonight and maybe even some more clear red. Its been curing since Friday evening so hoping after just about 3 days it'll be fine when I get back to it tonight.

J.

Golden Rod has some red on him at last.

I love the Alclad Clear Red over the Gold and it really is easy to apply. It also easy to choose how deep you want the red to be.

All airbrushed at around 18psi with a TR1.

I hope you like.

J.

ironmanredon8medium.th.jpg

ironmanredon6medium.th.jpg

ironmanredon3medium.th.jpg

ironmanredon4medium.th.jpg

ironmanredon5medium.th.jpg

ironmanredon1medium.th.jpg

Edited by JaseGill

I dont know what happened there. Hopefully these are better.

J.

ironmanredon8medium.jpg

ironmanredon6medium.jpg

ironmanredon3medium.jpg

ironmanredon4medium.jpg

ironmanredon2medium.jpg

ironmanredon1medium.jpg

Must be just me Oily, although it seems others aren't massive fans either. Or I didn't leave it long enough to cure properly.

Did you gloss or clear coat it before adding the red? Or maybe leave it longer than the day or two I did to cure.

I've just re-done the helmet in Gold and then Red. It looks great. I will hopefully have some pics up later.

The rest is now stripped, undercoated and black glossed. I'll be hopefully putting some gold on tonight and maybe even some more clear red. Its been curing since Friday evening so hoping after just about 3 days it'll be fine when I get back to it tonight.

J.

I didn't apply any coat to the gold Jase,i just sprayed the red over it

Cool.
Thanks Oily.

Didn't want to take the risk again so will be judicious use of clear coat followed by a long cure then a masking job for some of the Chrome/Gold.

A bit over the top I guess but once bitten and all that.

Luckily most of the Chrome and Gold is spray-able separately so masking will be to a minimum :)

J.

• 4 weeks later...

He's finished.

Ready For Inspection post in with some pics.

Hope you like :)
J.