Mig-21F-13 - 1:48 Trumpeter

Mike

Mig-21F-13
1:48 Trumpeter

boxtop.jpg

The Mig-21 started life as a supersonic interceptor fighter in the early 50s, garnering its familiar delta wings during the early prototype stages, and could reach Mach 2 for those high speed dashes to meet the incoming capitalist hordes that thankfully never came. It is considered to be a second generation jet in its earliest forms, but after the successful upgrading of the airframe was also a third generation jet, which extended its production run to 1985, with the very first production airframe coming off the line in 1955.

The Mig-21F was the first production variant, the basic Mig-21 being neglected in favour of the F, and that was superseded by the F-13 after fewer than examples had rolled out of the factory. The F-13 was upgraded with the capacity to carry the K-13 missile, better known in the west as the AA-2 Atoll, which is alleged to be a reverse engineered Sidewinder, to which it bears an uncanny resemblance. The F-13 could carry two of these missiles on launch rails mounted on hardpoints under the wings, although they could be switched out for unguided rocket launchers if the need arose.

A number of license built examples were used by the Chinese under the local designation Chengdu J-7, who appreciated its simplicity, light weight and agility. Chinese built examples were exported under the F-7 designation to a number of sympathetic nations, most notably in Africa and Pakistan.

The Kit
Although Eduard have cornered the market in the later third generation Mig-21s, there has been a hankering for a new tool early Fishbed for a while, and as China has easy access to the airframe data, it is fitting that Trumpeter have released this important Cold War warrior to complement Eduard's kits. The box is small and wastes no space inside, having four large sprues and four small in medium grey styrene that fill it well. A clear sprue, a small sheet of Photo-Etch (PE) brass and two "rubber" tyres are individually bagged in the bottom of the box, as are the two sheets of decals, and the package is completed by an A4 landscape instruction booklet and separate full-colour painting and decaling guide.

Initial impressions are that this is a well detailed kit, with plenty of fine engraved panel lines and restrained rivets in various areas. I understand that a few of the panel lines, most notably on the tail are in slightly the wrong place, but there are a few hyper-detailers out there on the internet that can let you know which ones they are.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

sprue4.jpg

pe.jpg

Construction is as you would expect from a fighter, although Trumpeter have mixed things up a little by building the nose gear bay first. Speaking personally, I'm starting to find this new vogue of installing the landing gear legs early in the build a little painful, as I'm a little bit prone to knocking things off with my sausage fingers during the painting stages. As the nose gear leg mounts on two pins in the sides of the bay, it will be difficult and probably pointless trying to make it possible to mount it later. Detail in the bay is good, with separate side-walls mounting onto a roof that has the ends of the bay moulded in. The nose wheel mounts on the gear leg by use of a separate yoke part that clamps the two piece wheel in place. It seems odd that the nose gear doesn't get the same rubber wheels as the main gear however.

The cockpit is next, and detail here is excellent from the nicely moulded tub, to the rear bulkhead that is festooned with sharp detail. The ejection seat is built up from fifteen parts, including PE seatbelts, and a scrap diagram gives detailed painting instructions, which is nice to see. The instrument panel has raised instrument bezels, and decals are supplied to complete the look. The small coaming that houses the HUD is quite complex with six styrene parts and the clear glass, which is comparatively large and has a nicely rounded top eadge. The control column and a pair of very detailed inner sidewalls complete the cockpit, and Gunze colour call-outs make painting a little easier.

detail-cockpit.jpg

The two main gear bays are built from separate parts, with good detail on each face, and a curved section depicting where the engine intrudes on the bays. The exhaust is built up from two halves, and features the afterburner ring, plus a representation of the rear turbine blades, although these are depicted in the instructions facing forward where they won't be seen. The exhaust is terminated by a single piece ring of petals with a very delicate additional ring that slips over the sloping petals. A spacer attaches to the front of the exhaust assembly, and this, the cockpit and gear bays are trapped within the fuselage along with the shock-cone and supports, and an avionics bay that sits in the upper nose in front of the cockpit A drop-in cover can be installed over this if you choose, and I imagine most people will, to preserve the sleek lines of the aircraft. A rear turtle deck is added to finish off the cockpit, and the windscreen is installed over the coaming, with a one-piece nose intake part that slips over the shock cone, completing the nose.

The elevators are made up from top and bottom halves, and added to the fuselage with a slightly insecure-looking butt fit that has a V-shaped groove to ensure correct placement, but would probably benefit from pinning in place. The two-piece large fin with separate rudder attaches to two pegs on the rear behind the spine, and a few fairings and auxiliary intakes are added around the tail, before the tail cone is added. This is keyed, and tapers on the inside in steps down to an incredibly thin almost translucent rim, although because it is moulded in two halves, some fettling of the seams will be needed, and damage to the delicate engraved rings is inevitable.

clear.jpg

Detailing of the fuselage ensues after the opening canopy and rear fixed section are installed, and remember that the canopy on the Mig-21 hinges forward if you intend to display it in the open position. Several inserts on the underside of the fuselage are added, plus the ventral airbrake bay and the ventral strake, plus (perhaps unwisely at this stage) the long pitot probe that is synonymous with the Mig-21. The forward airbrakes are situated under the fuselage forward of the main gear bays, and these are shown posed open, but could probably be closed up with little effort. The large ventral airbrake is able to be posed open or closed easily, and its four holes have corresponding pins moulded into the bay, and a retraction jack is inserted if posing it open. As the Fishbed had a notoriously short range that was exacerbated by centre of gravity issues when using fuel, a large 490l fuel tank was often seen on the central plyon between the main gear bays. This is made up from halves, which have the stabilising fins moulded in, and is mounted under the fuselage on the separate pylon via two pins that insert into holes in the fuselage.

detail-fuselage.jpg

The wings are made up from top and bottom halves, with wafer thin gear bay recesses necessitating the detail being moulded into the upper wing half. Detail is nicely done, and some additional detail is added before the wings are closed up. If you are planning on loading the model with weapons, you will need to open up some holes in the lower wing halves as well as adding the clear lens to the inside before committing to glue. The ailerons and flaps are separate parts, and can be posed at a more candid angle if desired, with a pair of PE strakes added to the upper wings near the tip. A small probe is also added to the underside of each wing, and again a hole must be drilled to accommodate its pin. The wings are mounted on the fuselage with a pair of small pins that slide into corresponding holes in the fuselage, and again they look a little fragile. Replacing the styrene pins with brass rod may be a wise idea if you are heavy-handed like me, or plan on transporting the model to shows. The main gear, with attached gear legs and retraction jacks slot into holes in the gear bays, and if you don't like those rubber tyres on styrene hubs, you might want to think about sourcing some replacements, which I'm sure will be along soon if not already.

tyres.jpg

detail-wings.jpg

Trumpeter cannot be accused of skimping on providing weapons loads in general, and this kit is no exception. From the box you can build all of the following:

2 x RS-2US Missiles
2 x 250KG Bombs
2 x R-3S Missiles
2 x UB-16 Rocket Pods

sprue5.jpg

All of these come with appropriate rails and stencil decals to add a little detail.

Markings
There are a generous six marking options from the box, although all but one involves natural metal. National markings and unit codes are on the larger of the two sheets, while the stencils (and there are many) are on the smaller sheet. A lot of the larger stencils are legible enough under magnification to be clearly Cyrillic, but others are scribble, but that shouldn't notice without magnification.

From the kit decals, you can make one of the following options:

• USSR Air Force Tushino AB 1961 - natural metal
  • PLAAF - undocumented unit wearing codes 0102 - natural metal
  • North Vietnamese Air Force - natural metal
  • East Germany Airforce - Green/brown camo over light blue
  • CSSR Air Force - natural metal
  • Finnish Air Force TiedLLv (sic) - natural metal

decals.jpg

The decals are nicely printed, and all but the blue are in good register. As a result of the slight shift of the blue on the review sample, the Finish roundel is slightly off-centre, and the Czech roundel has some overlap between the red and blue which causes a slightly darker border between them.

Conclusion
Soviet jet modellers are enjoying a golden age at present, largely down to Eduard, Trumpeter and Hobby Boss. This kit fills a gap close to the heart of many, and it does the job well. It is a well detailed kit of simple construction, and my only worry is that the wing and tail joints aren't that strong. Of course there are some minor issues, such as the panel lines mentioned earlier, but what kit doesn't have at least some?

You might also want to consider the new Neomega cockpit set for this kit, which improves the cockpit and resolves some minor instrumentation issues.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 3

This is a great kit as far as I am concerned.

OK it has a couple of issues, but lets face it, is there a perfect kit out there?

Given what I paid full retail for £22.99, you cant get many 1.72 kits for this price, let alone 1.48!

Julien

This is a great kit as far as I am concerned.

OK it has a couple of issues, but lets face it, is there a perfect kit out there?

Given what I paid full retail for £22.99, you cant get many 1.72 kits for this price, let alone 1.48!

Julien

Seconded.

I think it is great value. And (dare i say it) it looks the part to me.

Hasgegawa would charge £50 for it and you'd get no weapons.

For some reason FAF roundels look odd to me, largest white part maybe too big? Without actual decal sheet I can't be sure.

They're ever so slightly off centre. Maybe that's what's throwing you?

It's a lovely kit indeed, I just received the new Neomega cockpit for it and might start building soon, well once the desk is clear of a few other builds....

We have the Neomega cockpit in for review too. Looks grand :)

It's a nice kit but the cockpit is the big let down as it is based on a later mark (the Neomega set sorts this out) and will take some work to show in the open position. As mentioned some of the panel lines and "lumps and bumps" are a bit out too and they messed up the shape of the bottom of the rudder hinge. Reference to pics will show whats wrong, individual modellers can then decide what they want to correct and what they don't. Hopefully someone will bring out some resin wheels to replace the rubber ones.

I'd give it 7/10

HTH
Andy

Edited by andym

It's a nice kit but the cockpit is the big let down as it is based on a later mark (the Neomega set sorts this out) and will take some work to show in the open position. As mentioned some of the panel lines and "lumps and bumps" are a bit out too and they messed up the shape of the bottom of the rudder hinge. Reference to pics will show whats wrong, individual modellers can then decide what they want to correct and what they don't. Hopefully someone will bring out some resin wheels to replace the rubber ones.

I'd give it 7/10

HTH

Andy

I always build closed pit so that does not really bother me. Only mod I will make is the bottom of the rudder hinge as that does stand out.

Jon, if you dont build yours I will take it off your hands for £14 :whistle:

• Like 1

Definitely a GDR build!!!

In this case you should replace the bort number as they are square, not round. This plane served in the Tactical Reconnaissance Wing TAFS-47, so IR-guided missiles were possible but unlikely.

Some other hints:

- RS-2US missiles are nonsense as the F-13 had no radar (RS-2-US is a "beam-rider")

- if you want to build the Czech version, you should note the part behind the cabin is not a clear but from aluminium (the correct part is included in the kit but nowhere shown in the instruction!)

- the electronic bay should be closed as the interior is wrong (fits to later versions)

For sure there are a lot of other small mistakes (i.e. rudder shape - not easy to correct), but all in all it should be possible to build a nice early MiG. I would not call the kit a toy like others did it, but on the other hand it's always disappointing that Trumpeter is obviously not willing to learn and to correct mistakes (all known from 32 scale!). Look at Great Wall!

NeOmega pit is highly recommended, I build the F-13 with their conversion set many years ago based on Academy (and will now make a transplantation from this to Trump!)

I'm keen to see builds!

Edited by Floggerman

Floggerman,

Thanks for the very useful info mate!

I have a couple of Mil Mi-1s in 1/48 and with this new release from Trumpeter, I was thinking of combining these two models in order to build a diorama.

I will definitely follow your instructions when I start building my Mig-21 in GDR markings (I have to buy it first!! :oops: ).

Cheers

Sernak

Edited by Sernak

I have a couple of Mil Mi-1s in 1/48 and with this new release from Trumpeter, I was thinking of combining these two models in order to build a diorama.

Good idea! (Although they never met in real life, the Mi-1 (polish build SM-1 to be precise) went out of service in August 1972 and the TAFS-47 was founded in November 1974 (then the F-13 got the camouflage, before it was natural metal). But nevertheless both are icons of the 50's/60's.

BTW: The plane with bort number 645 still exists! It's in Berlin Airforce Museum, in bad state unfortunately. http://www.flugzeug-bild.de/name/einzelbild/number/7917/kategorie/Museen+und+Ausstellungen~Deutschland~Luftwaffenmuseum+der+Bundeswehr.html

Did the wheels on the Mig 21 change through its life? If not the Eduard Brassin ones would fit the bill nicely as replacements for the rubber jobbies the kit provides...

Yes - the early MiG-21F-13 had KT-27 mainwheel tires of 660 x 200mm, later versions had KT-50/52 wheels of 800 x 200mm.

You can see the increase in the size of the bulge above the wing root to accommodate the bigger wheels in later variants (such as those kitted by Eduard).

Ken

You know - the kit tyres are very nicely detailed - if they're not the old fashioned "melt the styrene" type, they should look ok once they're on :)

I should be interested to know how this builds alongside the Eduard Fishbeds. Not offering, though! - as I have an Eduard Fishbed-J and I try not to have more than one example of any type.

I've just noticed that, according to the box art, the MiG-21 is much bigger than we all thought. Either that, or they had very tiny crew back then ...