Manchester - Revell Lanc with Paragon Conversion

I had a friend who did a Manchester conversion when he was 14. It consisted of cutting away the outer two engines and filling the gaps with putty ;)

Nice to see it done properly.

Lovely build of a sadly forgotten aircraft.

Wings are sanded ready for assembly. Thinking hard about a rib to set the dihedral though.
Engines will need a lot of sanding - something I don't like doing with resin.
I have airbrushed the centre section brown though
04-Wings.jpg

I found a HUGE stand in another kit last night - and am thinking of completing this project as in flight.

I found a HUGE stand in another kit last night - and am thinking of completing this project as in flight.

Do you think that's realistic, I mean, showing a Manchester actually flying? Of course if one of the engines were on fire, that would be more realistic.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

A small amount of progress - and unlikely to speed up very soon :owww:
It's likely this model will be engine running job, probably warming up on the ground.
Anyway this is the scene in the cockpit on 23rd November 1941.
The flight engineer is preparing his kit, while the pilot jockeys the throttles.

MancCockpit001_zpsb346e923.jpg

My research shows all Manchester pictures with bulged cockpit side windows, and the low astrodome. Also horizontal tails, which are trimmed to the narrow width.
MancCockpit002_zps0c97144f.jpg

• Like 1

Today, I finally got around to trimming surplus resin off the engine mounts.
Then trimmed the engine/undercarriage fairings.
MancNeselsl001_zpsd8723198.jpg

And look what I fitted topside - well sealed in with Klear.
MancCanopy_zps731cb598.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

And look what I fitted topside - well sealed in with Klear.

MancCanopy_zps731cb598.jpg

"And look what I fitted topside - well sealed in with Klear."

Do what??

Are you using Klear for sealing the gaps? I've always found the stuff too wet and runny so how did you do this?

I'm really interested as this would work with canopies?

"And look what I fitted topside - well sealed in with Klear."

Do what??

Are you using Klear for sealing the gaps? I've always found the stuff too wet and runny so how did you do this?

I'm really interested as this would work with canopies?

Klear can bridge and seal narrow gaps - so thats what I used around the engine mounts, and the canopy.

I painted a coat all over the canopy, and onto the fuselage. Not too heavy mind - I didn't want any runs.

It's got a centre fin now - drying in my airing cupboard.

Todays work.
Removed tail surfaces and ailerons from the moulding blocks.
And I've assembled the wings - and fitted the engines.
MancBits_zpsef8ddbc0.jpg
Loads of filling and sanding left to go.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

And finally - the wings are fitted :yahoo:

MancWings001_zps43edc482.jpg

I installed plastic tabs to help locate them, and jigged them until set.

The is a lot of filling left in the gaps though. :fraidnot:
MancWings002_zpsde2a61c5.jpg

This is easily the heaviest model of its size that I've ever made :pig:

• Like 1

This was the scene early this morning:
All controll surfaces fitted, canopy masked off, and Tim's idea of pre-shading.
ManchesterPrepaint002_zpse3466596.jpg
And about an hour's airbrushing later
ManchesterBrown002_zpseb64d656.jpg
Three sets of wheels in shot L-R Paragon resin for Manchester, Revell Lancaster, Airfix Lancaster.
Also two Revell Merlins for my spares box
ManchesterBrown001_zps07cd70ae.jpg

Camo pattern has now been pencilled on ready for masking and green paint - my Lancaster is at the same stage.

I just found this account of L7300 at http://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/page_id__523_path__0p2p44p95p.aspx:

Pilot Officer Bill Hills had been asked to fly two groundstaff and two fellow pilots to Waddington in Manchester L7300 'EM-F'. He had hoped to use the opportunity for a spot of low-level flying, but as his 21-year-old wireless operator, Sergeant Charles Smith from Beverley recalled:

After being airborne for only a few minutes one of the engines failed, but having decided we could still get to Waddington we informed them of our approach and carried on hopefully. Unfortunately on the other side of Lincoln the other engine faltered and we made a rapid descent. The skipper managed to keep control until when coming down over a railway embankment the rear turret broke off and we slithered down the other side into a lake which had once been a gravel quarry. We all managed to get out of the rapidly sinking fuselage with the aid of the air sea rescue rubber dinghy and a severely shocked angler who had been fishing from a punt. This was listing badly itself, having been flooded by our crashing aircraft! There were no fatalities but a few broken limbs and other injuries. We revived ourselves by drinking the bottles of film from the first aid equipment, and this helped keep out the cold, as we were soaking wet, and being November it was bitterly cold.

Sergeant John van Puyenbroek, the other Wireless Operator / Air Gunner on Bill Hills' crew also has cause to remember that afternoon:

The second pilot, Pilot Officer Plaistowe, was standing up when we crashed and hit his head on the instrument panel sustaining concussion and a suspected fractured skull in the process. On the bank near the lake was 'Applegarth' cottage and the occupants stripped Plaistowe off, dried him and wrapped him in a rug, leaving him dressed only in a pair of dripping wet socks. The ambulance had been called but after nearly an hour had not appeared, and the fisherman with us said he would drive us to Lincoln hospital. We set off and as we turned by Lincoln's Stonebow into the High Street, Plaistowe yanked at the door handle and was off down the street naked - leaving his rug by the car. It was now late afternoon and being Sunday there were countless airmen walking their girlfriends along the 'monkey-run'. Plaistowe's eyes were staring wildly, he was showing all the signs of concussion, and the girls began to scream. After a few yards he was brought to a halt by a large Lincolnshire bobbie. Almost at the same time an ambulance came tearing down the High Street, bell ringing, realised we were probably from the crash and stopped ...

We were put straight to bed, unwashed, stinking, wounds drying up by now; the big cups of tea the nurses brought in tasted marvellous. The next morning, Plaistowe started doing handstands on the end of his bed until the nurses saw him and tucked him in again! As a sequel to the crash, when the Maintenance Unit boys started the salvage operation a civilian approached them and said 'We want this ****ing wreck out of here by next Saturday - we've got a fishing competition on!' Life could be difficult for some civilians at that time ... !'

Photo4_Ch2_678LR.jpg

The wreck of Manchester L7300 'F-Freddie', in Fiskerton Quarry lake after P /0 Bill Hills' miraculous crash-landing.

P.H.T. Green

Hope you chaps are all enjoying this :popcorn:

In today's bitter cold - this is my airbrushing shed
Arctic-Shed.jpg
Far tooo cold for anything sensible, so cold I think my Humbrol froze in the airbrush! :cold: .

And here is the Manchester - all masked up, ready for black paint.
MancMasked_zps3dfca85a.jpg

And after painting

08-Canopy.jpg