Manchester - Revell Lanc with Paragon Conversion

Starting with an M&S issue Revell Lancaster, that cost me £7.50
and a Paragon conversion set that I bought from Mike McEvoy for £10.00.
01-Kits.jpg
Intention is to build L7300 - 'cos I've got grey side codes EM*F.
Here's a photo of her from http://www.sonsofdamien.co.uk/Man-Lanc serials.htm#L7276
AvroManchesterL7300.jpg

Her history is listed as:

L7300 - Delivered to 207Sq (EM-F) in January 1941, it was one of the six Manchesters that carried out the first operation by this aircraft type, on the 24th February 1941. The target was Brest. The aircraft was delivered with no mid upper turret and such was not considered operational subsequently whilst other aircraft were packed off to OTU's this aircraft remained on squadron strength. On a local flight from Bottesford to Waddington shortly after take-off, with a loud rumble and clatter the port engine failed. The prop was feathered, but the mechanism failed, leaving the prop windmilling. The throttle was advanced on the other engine, which brought about severe vibration of the engine and airframe, and this engine also packed up, on the afternoon of 23rd November 1941 it crashed whilst turning on finals at 1530. A forced landing was inevitable, executed on a flat piece of ground bordering a small tree-lined lake. The Manchester ploughed on, straight into the lake known as Fiskerton Lake, some 8 miles east of Lincoln. The aircraft had carried out 17 operations. Crew: P/O A W Hills, P/O F Roper (RCAF), P/O S E Patterson.

I read on http://www.207squadron.rafinfo.org.uk/manchesters/207manchesters_serial.htm that all crew were safe after this incident.

I've been struggling with this conversion for ages (with the Airfix Lanc as the donor kit). Absolutely nothing wrong with the conversion set; it's quite nice, it's just that when I was nearly done with the s***ing thing it had an accident, and I've been trying to fix it since. Good luck with yours - I shall be following with interest!

Regards,

Jason

I was wondering the same thing myself. With the Airfix kit, the replacement tailplanes just fit into the Airfix slots, and the replacement outer wings fit very nicely onto the Airfix inner wing section, if you do your surgery correctly (which I did, of course!).

Regards,

Jason

I've been studying :book: the kit and conversion - so here are my thoughts.
I've criticised this kit previously for insufficient dihedral outer wings.
Not an issue here as I intend to amputate the outer wings.

My subject has no uppper turret - this kit supplies a plug.

The Mk 1 Manchester tailplanes (triple tail job - and my subject) plug into the Airfix fuselage.
I'll have to trim them slightly - as Revell tailplanes fit flush to the fuselage.
For Mk1a Manchester this issue would be avoided - as that Mk uses Lancaster tails.

Revell kit has the short bomb aimers dome - as used on Manchesters.

Revell kit has score lines inside the inner engine nacelles - I'm hoping these match the Vulture engines.

This Revell kit can donate H2S radar scanner and bulge, and hopefully paddle props to my No Enemy Aircraft build.
Also the cockpit decals - they're for 4 engines!

I'm confident that this will work :bounce: and eager to get started.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

View of the interior. As H2S wasn't available for the Manchester - I've used most of the parts in my Lanc.
Also the instument panels are painted rather that decal, 'cos this plane has 2 fewer engines than dials :hypnotised:
ManchesterInterior_zpsfbd93482.jpg

Planning to hide the back part behind a blackout curtain.

Very nice, never understood why someone like Airfix has brought one out.

Or the Lincoln. Perhaps they'll follow up the new Lancasters they're bringing out this year with its dad and son, the Manchester and the Lincoln. And its grandson, the Shackleton. We can only hope. And send them e-mails asking for same.

Regards,

Jason

Here's something I've not revealed previously - contents of the Paragon Conversion.
02-Resin-Parts.jpg
Spent a LOT of time tonight measuring all the interfaces. :hypnotised:
Wing chord were I amputate - Match.
Engine fairing 5mm back from front of undercarriage doors - acceptable.
Wheels on Manchester are a bit smaller - so I'm going with the resin.
Tailplanes won't fit as I used that tongue part -so I'm going to trim the kit parts.

Now I'm off to alter a kit's life forever.

:work:

First amputation is always the most difficult - there's no going back now :fraidnot:
03-Wing-Stubs.jpg

Second amputation put me in mind of a Sea Lancaster aboard that GIGANTIC ice aircraft-carrier idea :hmmm: .
MancAmputation2_zpsac235c55.jpg

Wing stubs are fixed now, so she's licking her wounds whilst the cement dries.

• Like 1

Brave work! Now it's off to Manchesterland and no looking back. Regarding the island-sized aircraft carrier made out of ice - that was one of the PM's most, shall we say, interesting projects.

Regards,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Well without a camera (batteries nick by my son :nono: ) for the time being.

Here's an uptodate progress report.

I've started cutting out the wings - this is not going quickly.

The kit has alternate rear fuselages, ahead the rear turret - the more flared one look most appropriate to Manchester, so they're fitted. I've assembled rear turret apart from glazing - this is different and vacformed for the Manchester, so I've cut that out.

I've just put the escape hatches into the upper fuselage.

Oh and I've treated seams with Tippex.

Paddle props from this kit are being grafted onto my Airfix Lancaster. :hypnotised: