Bae Hawk questions

tonyp

Hi guys,

1) Is the pitot tube for the T1 same as for the T2? I have spare T1 aftermarket pitot and would like to use it on a T2. Can't find any info to confirm otherwise.

2) The white (?) frame area around the canopy that seperates the front from the back. Would you paint that from the inside or paint it on the outside of the canopy? What exact colour is it?

Thanks in advance

Tony

I also had an aftermarket T.1 pitot to use on a T.2, all my research pointed towards the two being the same across both marks.

1, as far as I know the pitot tube is a common part to both a/c models

Judging by all the photos I have, the T.2 pitot tube appears to be significantly longer than the T.1 pitot tube. Hawkkeeper, if you could measure the T.1 tube, I can email a friend and ask him to measure the T.2. I can also get a T-45 pitot measurement so we know whether the Hawk part can be used on the Kinetic kit and be accurate.

Thaks Gabe for your info.

So that would make it 7mm longer for the T2 in 1/48 scale and 5mm in 1/72. Not sure if that's going to be a big difference and would anyone notice? Hmm something to ponder.

Again, thanks for the help and info. Has been interesting.

Tony

Sorry didn't get chance today, but I will do it tomorrow

the drawing above looks right, T45 is based on the UK T1 anyway, but modded for US Navy needs

That's correct. I'd be surprised if they were any different. I believe some of the 50/60 series aircraft have the static ports relocated from the tube to the side of the fuselage, but even on those I think the tube dimensions are the same.

Thaks Gabe for your info.

So that would make it 7mm longer for the T2 in 1/48 scale and 5mm in 1/72. Not sure if that's going to be a big difference and would anyone notice? Hmm something to ponder.

Again, thanks for the help and info. Has been interesting.

Tony

My take on it is that 7mm and 5mm doesn't sound like much but to my eye it pops out as far as how that relates to the size of the aircraft/model. It's a full 60% increase in length of the tube between T.1 & T.2. If not displaying one version next to the other I might not worry abpout it. However, if displaying the two versions together to showcase the differences between them, I would be inclined to strive for a correct length on both models in order to help emphasize the various differences. Just my take as I hope to eventually build models of all major Hawk variants to display together. I hope that Master will eventually release 100 series pitot tubes in all three scales.

Hope the information has been helpful nonetheless. If you ever need info on the T-45, feel free to give me a shout. I have quite a few hours instructing in it and probably have photos to illustrate all of the differences from the basic Hawk.

Gabe

Back when the Hawk was being designed the question of the aerodynamic load on the pitot came up to make sure it was strong enough. The guy calculating the aerodynamic loads in flight noticed though that the pitot was at just the right height for any ground crew to hang on to as they were leaning against it. Since the load from someone holding on to it was much greater than any aerodynamic load this was the load used for its design. Some time later a pictrure was seen of a Hawk with one of the ground crew leaning and holding onto the pitot tube. Job done.

Here are the dimensions of the T-45 pitot. I have a hunch they are the same on the T.1, but I'm not sure. I should have the T.2 measurements tomorrow.

IMG_2493.jpg

Cheers,

Gabe

measured 2 of our a/c today, from the tip to the rubber fairing was exactly 70cm.

Back when the Hawk was being designed the question of the aerodynamic load on the pitot came up to make sure it was strong enough. The guy calculating the aerodynamic loads in flight noticed though that the pitot was at just the right height for any ground crew to hang on to as they were leaning against it. Since the load from someone holding on to it was much greater than any aerodynamic load this was the load used for its design. Some time later a pictrure was seen of a Hawk with one of the ground crew leaning and holding onto the pitot tube. Job done.

fairly common practice, we found one bent to the right a few months ago, a/c had flown twice during the day & even the pilot didn't notice until parked up at the end of the last sortie, luckily we had a new pitot in stock. a few hours later & functional/leak test all was good.

measured 2 of our a/c today, from the tip to the rubber fairing was exactly 70cm.

Very interesting... I suppose the difference in length of the exposed bare metal portion might be due to the difference in design of the two fairings. Ours is much longer. It would be interesting to know the total length from the tip to the aft edge of the fairing where it meets the top of the nose. On the T-45 that would be 89.5 cm. any chance you could get that measurement to help satisfy my curiosity? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Gabe

I'm working away from home next week, going up country a bit to recover one of our a/c, it needs a engine change, I'll take my camera & tape measure, may not be back in here until next weekend.

No hurry. It's a hobby. (And I've got plenty more projects going before it'd be important to have that info). Thanks!

Gabe

did a quick measure of the rubber fairing today,

from the metal fairing on the nos to the forward end of the rubber fairing is just about 68mm

Thanks. So, it appears that the overall length of the entire assembly at (including the full fairing that sits on top of the nose of the jet) would be about the same between the T.1 and T-45 with the T-45 being 89.5 cm. It just looks like there is more of the metal tube exposed on the Hawk.

Thanks!

Very interesting. Thanks Hawkkeeper.

Busily doing my 1/48 Airfix (new tool) hawk at the moment. Am I correct in thinking that the tyres are not very good? They seem to be not very flat at the tread area.

I should post it up on WIP.

Thanks

Tony