RN Flight Deck Tractors in 1:48 - which one would YOU want?

ShadowRaider

Update: Please disregard the question in this message. It is not relevant anymore as I do not plan to release any new kits.

Hi All

Keeping in mind that two Royal Navy flight deck tractor kits have been lately released by our company (both are in 1:48 scale), I'm thinking about continuing in the same direction.

But I would appreciate your help in deciding upon a particular flight deck tractor type to try next.

For ease of reference, here's a diagram that shows all major flight deck tractor types used by the Royal Navy throughout the years.

We've covered #1 and #4, so what next? What say you?

And may I please take a liberty and ask you to be personal: which kit would you, in particular, want for yourself? (and not what's good for the mankind in general... ; )

47ba4fc2518f.jpg

Thanks a lot in advance,
Alex

Edited by ShadowRaider
  • Like 1

#2, #6 & #5 in that order, please.

Thanks in advance Alex.

Regards

Could you tell me where I can find some details on what you have released?

Will

Here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234923203-royal-navy-flight-deck-tractors-in-172nd-and-148th-by-phantommodels/

and here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234927849-148-f4models-1960s-royal-navy-heavy-flight-deck-tractor/?hl=tractor

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

#5 - Romeo 09 flight deck diorama/vignette with Buccs, Phantoms and Gannets has long been on my list of dream projects. Having said this, the dio would be best done in 1/72 I'm afraid, but a tractor for a 1/48 project would still get my attention.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your replies and opinions.

They will definitely help me in defining my future plans for both scales - I'm absolutely not "abandoning" the 1/72 line!

I'm really glad that so many of you are interested in this subject, and I'll try to do my best and not disappoint you.

PS: And to miniair who's asking for #4 I'm happy to say that it's already available.

Regards,

Alex

In the 60's the RN and presumably the RAF used the agricultural Fordson tractor as a tug. It might prove popular? The Styre Puch Haflinger was used a deck tractor on the Bulwark and Albion in the same period.

Colin

>> In the 60's the RN ... used the agricultural Fordson tractor as a tug.

Unfortunately, I don't have (have never seen) a single photo to prove this - i.e., a photo that would show such a tractor on a carrier deck. Shore bases are another matter.

>> The Styre Puch Haflinger was used a deck tractor on the Bulwark and Albion in the same period.

Technically, yes.

Haflingers were a part of the Royal Marines compliment on board, and apparently the sailors have "impressed" some of them for utility purposes.

However, I'm not really sure that the Haflingers have ever towed aircraft - just some carts and trailers.

>> In the 60's the RN ... used the agricultural Fordson tractor as a tug.

Unfortunately, I don't have (have never seen) a single photo to prove this - i.e., a photo that would show such a tractor on a carrier deck. Shore bases are another matter.

>> The Styre Puch Haflinger was used a deck tractor on the Bulwark and Albion in the same period.

Technically, yes.

Haflingers were a part of the Royal Marines compliment on board, and apparently the sailors have "impressed" some of them for utility purposes.

However, I'm not really sure that the Haflingers have ever towed aircraft - just some carts and trailers.

Sorry, you are correct the Fordson was only used on air stations, apologies for the slip.

The Haflinge was in definitely used as tug/tractor on the Bulwark during the 66/67 cruise with 845 NAS abaord. Yes we used it ashore a refuleing bowser.

Colin

• 2 years later...

>> So, can we have a haflinger, please?

From some other model kit manufacturer, perhaps.

I'm sorry gentlemen, but I'm done with producing new model kits. Circumstances change.

There are dozens of excellent model firms around, and I am sure that sooner or later some of them will move into the flight deck / ground support equipment "field".

Best regards,

Alex