Routemaster bus adverts

bruce3371

After receiving good advice about replacement engine grills for Revell's Routemaster bus, I figured it was time to pick the Britmodeller community's collective brain again!

I've ordered some custom destination blinds, from fellow forumite 'wagoneer', but would also like to order some adverts for both the interior and exterior, suitable for the year 1978.

The trouble is, I have no idea where to start looking for reference images or information. I've tried googling, but I always find it difficult coming up wih the right search terms to get the results I need.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions please?

A good start but are bus company adverts .I 'm seeing cigarette, liquor , crisps ,and iced lolly adverts myself. I have the means to print these decals or self adhesive stickers , that is why I am interested. I wonder about trademark infringement if I was to print off artwork with logo's etc.

So the kit provides no advertising for the bus?

Edited by krow113

To answer Krow113's question, yes, the kit does have advertising in it but they're not brilliant. in addition, the offside advert is the later style 'L' shape.

I'm working on reproduction adverts at the moment, including the issue of licensing. There's quite a bit of photographic reference on the internet if you're planning on creating your own though and I'm sure that as an individual you'll be fine to copy them. I'm wanting to re-create them to sell to fellow modellers so I have to do it right.

Kelly

There is a Flickr group for Routemaster pictures: http://www.flickr.com/groups/routemaster/pool/page1/

The downside is that there are loads of photo´s to wade through and many are modern, but there is a lot of older stuff there and many of them are also dated. I had good use of it when I did my own adverts. Also Google image search was useful.

I do wonder why the makers of the 1:72 or HO/OO sets haven't jumped on this one. My own mission is to create a few options from each era at first or do them by commission.

Finding good reference then the correct typefaces is a time consuming process, for me it's not enough to print from photographs of the real thing.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The problem is, I need the adverts to be from a specific year, 1978. This build is a trip down memory lane for me, so I want it to be as authentic as possible. So modern adverts are no good, neither are the offside 'L' shaped ones.

I also need adverts for the interior of the bus, as the kit doesn't include any, let alone ones from the year that I want!

I'll have another look at some of the other routemaster builds round these parts, see if I can find some inspiration/info!

I'm taking in my time with this build, so I'm in no hurry,. If necessary, I can wait to see what wagoneer comes up with for the adverts, as I've already ordered destination blinds from him, so would be more than happy to send some more work his way lol

I do wonder why the makers of the 1:72 or HO/OO sets haven't jumped on this one. My own mission is to create a few options from each era at first or do them by commission.

Finding good reference then the correct typefaces is a time consuming process, for me it's not enough to print from photographs of the real thing.

It is very time consuming indeed to create the art work. If I would go through the trouble trying to sell all the decals I created in my build, I wouldn't dare counting what the price would be if one would try to see it in a sort of professional way. I take my hat off to those who can work through it and offer stuff like this on the market.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The problem is, I need the adverts to be from a specific year, 1978. This build is a trip down memory lane for me, so I want it to be as authentic as possible. So modern adverts are no good, neither are the offside 'L' shaped ones.

I also need adverts for the interior of the bus, as the kit doesn't include any, let alone ones from the year that I want!

Here you have some interior ads, not sure if any are of use for 1978 though: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingswayjohn/6576562507/sizes/o/in/pool-1893666@N22/

There may be other ads to find in that Flickr group as well.

Here you have some interior ads, not sure if any are of use for 1978 though: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingswayjohn/6576562507/sizes/o/in/pool-1893666@N22/

There may be other ads to find in that Flickr group as well.

Thanks, they look promising. I've been asking my parents lots of questions about the old london buses, and they've been an invaluable source of information, so I'll show them those pictures, see if they ring any bells with them (pun not intended!).

Jorgen,

Indeed, if I charged the time spent at a commercial rate for the time I put in, then most people wouldn't be interested. The flickr link you posted is very good, thank you.

I think in terms of reproducing period advertising, we'll be safe as modellers. After all we are in effect promoting the original idea! Mind you, I don't imagine that very many of the advertisers exist in their original form.

Bruce, I think I'll try re-drawing some of those ads from the flickr link and also look for some late 70's ads on your behalf. I did re-create a pair of Kelly temps ads from 1979 yesterday. They are the ads that go on the front corners of the Routemaster.

Apologies for not being able to find how to add the umlaut on your 'o'. I only know how to do that on a Mac, not the PC I'm using here.

Good advice here. looks like there would be a limited market for these and the work ,as pointed out, would have to be done by a dedicated individual. I dont think anyone will get too twisted over adverts from the '70's being produced, hopefully.

Jorgen,

Indeed, if I charged the time spent at a commercial rate for the time I put in, then most people wouldn't be interested. The flickr link you posted is very good, thank you.

I think in terms of reproducing period advertising, we'll be safe as modellers. After all we are in effect promoting the original idea! Mind you, I don't imagine that very many of the advertisers exist in their original form.

Bruce, I think I'll try re-drawing some of those ads from the flickr link and also look for some late 70's ads on your behalf. I did re-create a pair of Kelly temps ads from 1979 yesterday. They are the ads that go on the front corners of the Routemaster.

Apologies for not being able to find how to add the umlaut on your 'o'. I only know how to do that on a Mac, not the PC I'm using here.

wagoneer, you have PM's!

ATB.........

After doing a bit more digging around, and reading some of the suggestions here, I've settled on some of the adverts I'd like to use;

The Jacob's Cream Crackers advert from the Revell decal sheet for the near side advert, Pearl Assurance for the off side advert, and posters of the musical Evita, which was shown at the West End in 1978, for the front corner adverts. I'm also thinking of adverts for the film The Wild Geese, as I've seen a picture of a 1978 bus with posters for this film on it.

That just leaves the interior adverts to find now, although I suspect that the flikr link images might just be what I'm after.

Thanks for you help everyone.

Wagoneer, I'll email you with some reference images, for you to take a look at, and see if there's anything you'd be able to do for me using them :)

Edited by bruce3371

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I started this thread, but wanted to post a couple of pictures showing the finished bus, and waggoneer's custom decals that he printed for me;

DSC00184_zps7683f17d.jpg

DSC00178_zps1f83adc7.jpg

DSC00180_zps458a585b.jpg

Oh, and yes, I'm aware that the garage codes are wrong, and should be ED for Elmer's End!

That's nice, I like the period ads but you shouldn't have put the frames on the sides (For the adverts) that's only needed on newer buses as the ads are printed on plastic that is slid and locked into the frame, older adverts where pasted onto the bus.

I couldn't bring myself to dirty up such a nice looking model! However, there'll probably at least one dent in the roof, after I've corrected the other mistake I made, and that's to take the GPS or whater-it-is aerial off!!

• Like 1