Lynx HAS3 rear cabin seating?

Alfisti

I have the Rotorcraft conversion for the Airfix kit,and plan to build as a pre-Falklands era machine in that great looking Oxford Blue scheme.My query is what would the rear cabin seat layout be for a Sea Skua equipped machine.

TIA.........Dave.

You can fit Skua with any seat fit in the back as the on-board equipment doesn't get in the way, although it does make one of the seats unusable for people with legs if you use the transverse metal frame seat. Bare in mind it's not just a case of fitting some boxes in the cabin, you also have to do all the functional checks to make sure it's working so it's not something you'd want to be constantly doing. The pylons on the other hand are a fairly quick fit.

Having said that wasn't Skua only just in service by the time of the Falklands Conflict? If so it's likely aircraft before then wouldn't have had the on-board equipment or the pylons anyway.

You can fit Skua with any seat fit in the back as the on-board equipment doesn't get in the way, although it does make one of the seats unusable for people with legs if you use the transverse metal frame seat. Bare in mind it's not just a case of fitting some boxes in the cabin, you also have to do all the functional checks to make sure it's working so it's not something you'd want to be constantly doing. The pylons on the other hand are a fairly quick fit.

Having said that wasn't Skua only just in service by the time of the Falklands Conflict? If so it's likely aircraft before then wouldn't have had the on-board equipment or the pylons anyway.

Yes the system was still in the test stage, so the few Lynxs with the fit were sent to the Falklands. The missiles proved very successful in theatre & the crews flew to Stevenage to thank the makers for their produce.

Just a further pre-April 82 thing.

Did the Lynx have blow up cabin seats??? I can't remember seeing one with this fit. 702 had the back to back metal framed seats fitted, bloody uncomfortable and did nothing to removed the high vibration felt through your bottom.

Yes you are right the Skua came in during the trek down south, most being painted light sea grey and not FAA Oxford Blue like the second line a/c's. All the Lynx's down south, that I saw, had Dark sea grey paint jobs.

Cheers the Woo

Did the Lynx have blow up cabin seats??? I can't remember seeing one with this fit. 702 had the back to back metal framed seats fitted, bloody uncomfortable and did nothing to removed the high vibration felt through your bottom.

I'm not sure if they had them that early on, I think they only came in later when it was realised quite how quickly it sinks...

If you want them there are pics of a HAS.2 awaiting work at the Helicopter museum in our Navy Lynx Walkaround.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/73386-westland-lynx-naval-versions/

I am working on getting a walkaround of the HAS.3 at Yeovilton as we speak.

Julien

I'm not sure if they had them that early on, I think they only came in later when it was realised quite how quickly it sinks...

That’s it, I remember now. The mob first had rear floatation bags then after a few ditchings when the a/c dropped the the sea bed like a stone Westlands fitted a front set of floats. Still the old bird dropped like a stone only to rip off the front set of floats. The idea of a crew seat that 'could' help with keeping the cab up enough to let the rear crew/maintainers get out.

A PO greenie on my SAR watch was one such unlucky guy who after climbing in the back of his flights cab due to embark in Lyme bay didn't plug into the intercom. He settled himself down right at the back of the cabin behind the flights bags for a daymans half hour (40 winks for you strawberry’s) He woke with a cold chin and hands only to look forward to the cockpit to see the Pilot, Obbie, SMR and M1 gone and the cabin flooded upto the rotorbrake handle.

It was at this point his dunker training kicked in and he, after releasing his belt and making his way to the cabin door he bobbed to the surface to be greeted by the SMR saying that he was about to issue a warrant for 'Absent with out Leave' Being a jock he rebuffed the joke with his best Glasgow banter.

Dave says he was not impressed by the Lynx and its floatabilityor its ability to repel 500lb iron bombs, thats another dit from his Ardent days.