1/48 Revell N.A. F-86D Sabre Dog

Mark

I cannot believe I've finished something!!

On 1st January, I just went downstairs to the stash, picked up the first kit and said 'Right, I'm going to build this!' The initial idea was to be completely OOB, but there are a couple of enhancements, such as photo-etched belts, the Eduard FOD cover and after market decals. These are the SuperScale set, SS480883, and represents the North-American F-86D, 23667, of 324FIS flown by the unit's CO, Lt Col Fairbrother in Morocco 1958.

The North American Aviation F-86D Sabre (sometimes called the "Sabre Dog" or "Dog Sabre") was a transonic jet all-weather interceptor. Based on North American's F-86 Sabre day fighter, the F-86D had only 25 percent commonality with other Sabre variants, with a larger fuselage, larger afterburning engine, and a distinctive nose radome. (© Wikipedia)

This is the Revell boxing of the kit and is the later version with the rear drag parachute housing. Monogram also released the same kit, but of the earlier variant without the parachute housing. The kit is tremendous and is easily on a par with anything that I have made from Japan. Paints are Alclad II (what else?!) sprayed over Alclad gloss black primer, Gunze Sangyo acrylics and the radome (unpainted glass fibre on the real aircraft) was painted Tamiya XF-10 Flat Brown and then sprayed with Hannants' Xtracolour Satin Varnish. Some minor weathering and stains etc. were applied with a selection of washes and pastels.

So, here she is, my first of 2013!

DSC_2011_zpse2c84880.jpg

DSC_2022_zpsfd182d9a.jpg

DSC_2012_zps2443f7e7.jpg

DSC_2020_zpseeb9a648.jpg

• Like 3

Well done mate, I've got a couple of these to work on at some time, you've done a nice job on that.

Well done for getting past the finishing post... ...if only I could do the same.

Wez

Thanks guys! I think it is one of those kits that we all have in the stash! It really is a lovely kit and no filler was used at all apart from tidying up the upper and lower seams. Highly recommended!

Thanks guys! I think it is one of those kits that we all have in the stash! It really is a lovely kit and no filler was used at all apart from tidying up the upper and lower seams. Highly recommended!

lol yep had one in the stash for ages, it's just never reached the top yet

THanks to you all for the kind comments. I'm on a bit of a bare-metal-finish run at the moment. Anyone know where I can get a 1/48 Hasegawa Starfighter?

THanks to you all for the kind comments. I'm on a bit of a bare-metal-finish run at the moment. Anyone know where I can get a 1/48 Hasegawa Starfighter?

Mark,

I may be able to help out. Ill send you a PM. BTW nice build, I've had one of these on the go for several years and just never got around to finishing it off....don't know why since it's an easy build......Your example may just prompt me to dig it out. I was originally going to do a Yugoslavian example withba large black shark motif on the nose but i'm now very tempted by one of the Greek Air Force schemes off the new Icarus decal sheet....decisions.....decisions !

Anyway....well done

Mark