Another Ferrari duo: "I wish they all could be Californias"

It'll be a little while before this one really gets going -- gotta get the F12 built first. But the bodies are done, ready to set good and hard for a couple of weeks before final polishing out of a few blemishes.

new-body-2-XL.jpg

new-body-1-XL.jpg

Revell California "open top" in Zero Paints Blu Mirabeau with 2K clear coat. The interior will be two-tone black and brown, and with luck I'll be using some of Andy's badass big wheels in black as well.

old-body-1-XL.jpg

old-body-2-XL.jpg

Academy "Classic European Sports Car" -- much the cheapest way to get hold of Italeri's 250SWB California Spider. Bought new from eckorea on eBay for rather less than £20 including shipping to the UK about six months ago. The colour is home-brewed, based on a Zero Rosso Barchetta, with some black and a dash of Blu Scozia. It's really hard to photograph... it's not as black (or brown) as it looks. Think of it as a dark aubergine/purple, which is essentially a non-metallic version of "Prugna". I've seen one picture of a Cali Spyder in this colour, and it stuck with me -- I wanted a dark colour, but not pure black. The interior will be brown leather.

More in a month or so...

bestest,

M.

a man after my own heart . ferrari.ferrari.ferrari.i too have a passion for these cars , will post some up soon, keep up the good work

Thanks, guys.

@Justin... nope, these are both 1/24. The modern one is the rather nice Revell Germany kit; the older one originated with Italeri, and is about 25 years old, though this Academy box is brand new plastic.

I think the new one will zing a bit more in proper sunlight -- as a "California" should. Photographing it indoors under the flat grey skies we have had this week, doesn't really do the colour justice!

bestest,

M.

how many ferraris have you made to date and how many have you left to do ? I have finnished elleven and have another fourty to do , ten of which are f one cars .

Looking forward to see this build developing I'm feeling another of your great twin Ferrari builds is coming.

And it's another build where IMHO the older car is more interesting than the newer one.... nothing against the new California, it sure is a brilliant car and I know it fills a niche in the market nicely for Ferrari, especially in the US. However for me it's something of an oddity, not as sporty as "small" Ferraris are and not as exclusive as the front engined V12s are.