McDD Phantom F-4J(UK) 74 Squadron (Italeri F-4S 1/48)

Hi all,

The second in my series of 74 ‘Tiger’ Squadron 48th scale builds is this F-4J(UK).

The basis of this was a dirt cheap Italeri F-4S combined with the non-slatted wings from an Italeri F-4E. These moulds are actually the old Testors kit, and they leave a bit to be desired, but on my modelling budget a Hase Phantom is out of my league.

After market parts included Eduard etch for the cockpit, Xtradecals and some winders courtesy of Airfix as the kit ones were really bad.

Painted with Revel aquacolours, fuselage is a mix of lt grey & lt blue and inner wings mid/blue-grey, although they look a bit dark to me. I have pre & post shaded to make up for the lack of any panel detail (re-scribing in not really my thing!). Still got a couple of issues to reslove such as the cockpit periscope & the missing pitot tube on the fin!

Anyway, probably not the most accurate F-4J(UK) but made the most of a cheap old kit hopefully!

Next up a 74 Hunter F6, and just found some decals for a 74 Hawk, so be rude not to do that as well!!

Cheers
Simon

F4-01.jpgF4-02.jpgF4-03.jpgF4-04.jpgF4-06.jpgF4-05.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys!

I love this model------takes me back to my Wattisham days 1989-1990 (& Waddington 1999-2002, when there was an F4J was sat in our Movements Hangar, sadly it was eventually scrapped :weep: )

I have a soft spot for Wattisham, did an ATC summer camp there in 1980, camped on a field near the tennis courts, god those FGR2's were noisy!!

Cheers Simon

• Like 1

Once again, thanks for the comments!

Cracking mate

any help i can be on the hawk let me know i have a few ref photos of tiger hawks

Cheers Mark, i'll let you know if I need anything, the decals I have are from the Italeri kit, the one with the big tiger's head on the fin!

cheers

Simon

Thanks for the comments guys!

I have a soft spot for Wattisham, did an ATC summer camp there in 1980, camped on a field near the tennis courts, god those FGR2's were noisy!!

Cheers Simon

I must admit my fondest memory of "whatashame" (& at the time, what a great privelege) it was to be there for the 1990 Battle of Britain 50th flypast.

With the apron full of BofB.M.F. & F4's, I have never seen, nor will do again such a marvelous sight at a non-airshow event, I forget what other aircraft were involved, but I knew every Battle of Britain Sqn, then currently flying were represented.

The other real memory that sticks in my mind was being in the runway caravan during take-off. A two-ship was good....a four ship mind blowing, Though very well sound insulated, the percussion & sight of full after burner could not fail to impress.......Oh happy days :popcorn: .

P.s. the best thing about exercises was the Sqn callsigns. You didn't need much of an imagination to know why!!!!!

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 1

Great build, have one myself, a

hasegawa 1/72 handpainted decals and formation light strips cut from post it's.. as back in 83 there was little choice, no Internet and little money as a teenager.. Still cherish it

• Like 1

Once again thanks for the comments!

That's a real beauty you have there Simon and I like the the look of your lightning in the background!

Thanks Brian, not the easiest kit in the world to be fair!! Finished the Lightning late last year, posted here in RFI somewhere!

cheers

Simon

Thanks Lex & JM

That's a nice F-4!

I think you forgot to unmask the small cockpit window on the left side!

Aha, take a closer look at a pic of F-4J(UK) in the walkround section!! (I still need to figure out how to scratch build the periscope and fill the join a but though!!)

cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR

Aha, take a closer look at a pic of F-4J(UK) in the walkround section!! (I still need to figure out how to scratch build the periscope and fill the join a but though!!)

Simon,

Never noticed that before! Thanks for pointing that out, will take it with me when i will build my F-4J(UK)!

• Like 1

Simon,

Never noticed that before! Thanks for pointing that out, will take it with me when i will build my F-4J(UK)!

I only found out doing this kit, but don't let on otherwise people will think we're stupid :whistle: