Building/Painting Interleaved Wheel Based Vehicles

robw_uk

if you have one, whats your technique for the interleaved wheels & tracks. I am thinking for my link/length

1) build the "thinner" wheels (glue the 2 halves together), blutack the "thick" wheels

2) place all wheels on axels (dont fix)

3) build tracks in-situ over wheels (will Revel glue be flexible enough to allow me to take them on/off?) leaving an upper & lower half (do I need to to allow this so I can take them on off)

4) paint all wheels and tracks OFF the body and paint sides too (the sides are separate from the chassis so thinking to paint & build both BEFORE attaching to the chassis)

5) attach road wheels to sides

6) attach tracks & drive wheels

7) mount both sides on to the hull

thanks guys.....

Assemble everything, prime it, then paint it, tyres last. Paint as close as you can to the rim, then thin some paint, touch it on and you should get a nice clean wheel. I've always been of the 'paint what you can see' model fraternity.

For my Tiger, I'm doing the following:

1) Prime, paint and weather/muddy the inside of the mudguards.

2) Fully prime and paint all the road wheels, sprockets and idlers - so for the Tiger that amounts to 32.

3) Attach inner wheels from thicker set to hull.

4) Attach sprocket and idler wheels.

4) Assemble the thinner wheels and glue to hull

5) Attach outer wheels from thicker set

6) Wash and weather all road wheels, idlers and sprockets.

7) Paint, wash and weather tracks, assemble around wheels

8) Complete weathering process.

Tim

The way I do it is to make the wheels and tracks as sub assemblies i.e. they are all glued together as one;

VK1602-29small_zps3095fde4.jpg

VK1602-16small_zpsc5d07107.jpg

I then prime my models in matt black (Games Workshop Chaos Black to be precise), this way the tyre colour is already there and all you have to do is paint the centres of the wheels. You may ask "How do you mask the tyres then?" to which my answer is "I don't" due to my style of painting. Also some may say never paint the tyres black however the weathering process tones the colour down.

That's how I do it anyway and it works for me;

vk1602-45small.jpg

Edited by Andy K

Interesting discussion, I've often marvelled at the results of the build-it first then paint it crowd. I tend to paint as the vehicle is built then weather it last....the goal in either case is to try for that prototype look....

Cheers,

ggc