F-8 Crusader Decals

Mark S.

Been thinking about doing a few sheets of decals with F-8 Crusaders on them and was wondering if anyone is interested in them? I'm not constrained to any squadron or the Vietnam War but would like to know if there are any markings that modeler's would like to see. Is historical significance important or just a nice paint scheme?

Thanks in Advance for your comments.

Mark S.

Ah, Crusaders, a subject that is always welcome !

My view is that first of all depends on how you want to attack the kits availability: only the F-8E and J can be made from the box with the kits available, yet some of the more interesting markings were carried by other versions !

Still, there are enough good looking E and J markings around that would be nice to have in decal form. If historical importance is the way to follow, then I'm afraid you would end up with the "usual suspects" that saw action in the Vietnam war. Personally I think it would be nice to see something lesser known but equally (or more) colourful.

Id be up for a sheet that included any of the utility squadron schemes. Target tugs and drone controllers etc. Id do a few in 72nd  but only one in 48th.

I second that.

Julien

I was quite pleased when Xtradecal brought out their new recent sheet on Crusaders because it featured subjects outside of the usual suspects such as the VF-302 jet, I'd like to see more of the same please (in 1/72nd please).

Does anybody do the earlier radome to make anything other than an E/J more of a plug and play option?  I know I could scrape sand and hack the radome of the Academy kit but I doub't I'd be consistent in shape/profile.

Wez

As been mentioned most of the more varied markings was earlier in its lifetime. There is also the French Navy that carried some varied markings i.e. D-Day celebrations.

Wez - Esoteric Models used to do different radomes for the Crusader. I think I have F-8C one somewhere.

Robert

Does anybody do the earlier radome to make anything other than an E/J more of a plug and play option?  I know I could scrape sand and hack the radome of the Academy kit but I doub't I'd be consistent in shape/profile.

Wez

As mentioned Muroc models do some conversions but are very hard to source.

To be honest its not that hard to re-profile the nose on an E, also dont forget to remve the hump for a C etc

http://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/us/dixonf8c.htm

Julien

As mentioned Muroc models do some conversions but are very hard to source.

To be honest its not that hard to re-profile the nose on an E, also dont forget to remve the hump for a C etc

http://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/us/dixonf8c.htm

Julien

Hi Julien,

Whilst I appreciate it seems like a simple task to re-profile the nose, it's also easy to cock it up completely and balls up the kit, which is why I'd rather somebody else has gone to the trouble for me :thumbsup:

I knew about the hump thanks but it's always good to remind people anyway! Another thing to watch are the ventral strakes depending on which version you're going for.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Mark, what about Photo Crusaders? Say, 1:72 Cuban missile crisis VFP-62? Won't be extremely popular, though, due to required conversion to Academy kit, but still... Crucial point of Cold War, hardly covered by decals in any scale...

Dmitry

There is a great picture in Tommy Thomason's US Naval Air Superiority Book of a natural metal Crusader with a stylish red arrow on the front fuselage. I'll try to find a photo of it, but I would love to build that particular scheme.

Gents:

Thanks for the comments.

I'm open to any type of Crusader as long as an average modeler can build it. In other words it has to have a readily available conversion kit. Met the gent who is Muroc at the Phoenix Nats several years ago but haven't been able to contact him of late. By-the-way he does excellent work.

Is there a conversion kit for the RF-8G?

Is there a conversion kit for the RF-8G?

In 1.72 there is the Airmodel vac form & ventura short run injection which are both forward fuselages only. There is also the RHVP which while being a full fuselage is shaped like a banana so you have to cut it on half and use like the first two!

Here's one I made earlier;

RF-8GNo2.jpg

The RHVP decals were pants and most was done by hand or from the spare box. Some nice RF-8 decals would be welcom. The Pacific Missile Test Range had some RF-8's on the books, as did the NADC In Johnsville. VC-7 red tails would be really nice, in fact really any RF-8 decals would be.

As for F-8 decals some standard sqn birds would be nice. Many USN & USMC Sqns flew the crusader but only a handfull have been done in decal form.

For the USMC VMF-251 Thunderbolts would be nice, also VMF(AW)-323 Death Rattlers have not be done? In fact i dont think many USMC sqns have been done as they were mainly plain janes.

For the USN there are a few more sqns been done in 1.72 but again a lot of sqn markings were plain. Also a lot of the fleet composite sqns, utility sqns etc have been over looked. VC-2 Blue tails would be good, as would VC-1. The JF tails of VU-4 would be easy and one of the Yellow/red/engine grey drone controllers from VC-5 or VU-8 :) Marking for VFP-63 F-8J's would go down well.

Sorry for the rantings of a massive Crusader fan frustrated by a lack of markings. If you make them I will buy them.

Fell free to ask me anything crusader related, I will try and help

Julien

Gents: Thanks for the comments. I'm open to any type of Crusader as long as an average modeler can build it. In other words it has to have a readily available conversion kit. Met the gent who is Muroc at the Phoenix Nats several years ago but haven't been able to contact him of late. By-the-way he does excellent work. Is there a conversion kit for the RF-8G?

So, Mark, I share your concerns about the ease of making an RF-8 in 1/72. However, I have the conversion sets and you can count on me for one set, at least.

If you do an RF-8, the my vote would be for one of the birds from VFP-63 Det 4 aboard the Forrestal in 1977. They have the iconic stylized AA tail code, and BuNo 144618/Modex 602 at least, had a black rudder with white sword. see http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Vought-RF-8G-Crusader/0865223/L/.

Another option would be to include one of the Red-Checkerboard trimmed F-8J's from VF-211 flying off the Hancock in 1971, along with the appropriate BuNo's, Modexes and small markings to make one of the VFP-63 Det 1 RF-8G's that were marked the same way to disguise their unarmed condition. The most famous of these is "Flying Squirl" [sic]. This aircraft is illustrated in Osprey's RF-8 Crusader Units over Cuba and Vietnam.

DG

I have a 72nd RF-8 conversion (from Julien) that's pleading for decals. And while i'm about it, the F-8H of VF-111 with the CAG multi colour sunburst would be welcome, SS did the sheet in 48th but not in 72nd (if you want me to scan the sheet for further info drop me a PM). In fact any markings for VF-111 would be welcomed as most (if not all) 72nd sheets out there are innacurate AFAICT.

Neil

PS and while we're about it, yeah a 48th and 72nd nose for an F-8C would be most welcome, the shape's not easy to nail.

Edited by neilscrim

If you prefer to stick to easily built variants, then the E and J are the only ones really to consider.

As I said before, earlier aircrafts probably had the most colourful schemes, but there are enough nice ones for the E and J fortunately.

Some that I can think of that would be interesting and I don't recall having seen are:

- VF-13 F-8E in the first colour scheme

- VF-24 F-8J with the scheme used for the 1972 cruise only (with the large unit insignia on the tail)

- VF-33 F-8E (that however I think has been done before)

- VF-62 F-8E

- VFP-63 F-8J with the wide black bands

- VF-103 F-8E with the larger yellow arrow on the tail

- VF-132 F-8E (a unit that remained in existance for a very short time)

- VF-301 F-8J (I would add VF-302 but the recent Xtradecal sheet has one of these)

- VMF(AW)-312 F-8E ( this was done before but can't remember if in 1/72)

- VMF(AW)-323 F-8E

Mind, I might have forgotten some old decal sheet and maybe some of these were done before, still IMHO these would be some interesting options.

To know more, the best books would be the ones of the Naval Fighters series, that include a volume dedicated only to the Crusader in USN service and one to the Crusader in USMC service, plus one devoted to the development machines and one to the RF-8s

• 11 months later...