RAF 1940 Lettering LE-D

Sean_M

Hi

After a long break and some snow I finally stated a Model. The Italeri Hurricane 1/48. I want to do Doglas Bader's 242 Hurricane. The Kit provides for McKnight's LE-A. Has anyone gote any correct lettering for the "D" and the serial number V7467. I bought some clear decal sheets but cant find the correct template or size. Before anyone starts getting technical in inches I come am orginally was broght up on the metrics system I have GIMP so a simple solution would be nice like use "Arial, Bold, Size 18" or anything else i.e. a PDF

Thanks

Guys

Maybe you could try one of the generic decal sets that Modeldecal did(from Hannants). treu thye are 1/72nd but by working out and converting the size from 72 to 48th you'll have the letter and serials sorted!  Failing not being able to find Modeldecal ons maybe Xtra decal have the ones you need.  If you are still stuck I may have the appropriate ones going spare from my decal store.

Edited by Paul J

If you' re feeling adventurous, you could always download all the WWII RAF/RCAF fonts (amongst many others) located here . GIMP and Windows TT versions are available, so if you're handy with a computer, printer and decal paper you could create your very own copies of serials and ID's (as long as the are not in white or grey). Keep in mind that these font sets do not support lowercase characters - so be sure to use your Shift key before typing, otherwise they will not show up on your computer monitor.

Grey or white printing is supported only on printers that have that capability (rare as rocking horse poop). 

Edited by Garethster

I have a 1/72 sheet of DB's Hurricane. I was hoping to avoid to much photo editing and fidling as that not my forte. There is a "D" on the decal sheet but its much fatter and is for another scheme. I know lots of chaps make stencisl and pray the lettering on. My build has started nicely and I hope, this time. just to build a good model without over reaching. I have already found that I will have to replace the PE seatbealts. The one supplied with the kit is "Oversized" just horrible. My first venture in PE did not go well. I have noted that other people remarked on the same problem. the Italeri kit has a lot of detai, but I am supprized at the poor PE Parts. Even the dash does not have the raised middle section and one would get a more correct look by using the decal option (supplied) as an alternative.

To be honest, there's no way you can really print a medium sea grey code letter on a clear sheet with normal printers and apply this over a dark green/dark earth scheme. The best you could do is to print the outline on your decal sheet, cut the letter and then paint it medium sea grey.

Alternatively, you could print the letter over an adhesive sheet and cut a mask from this.

Regarding the letter, you could scan the 1/72 sheet and then increase the size by 150% (assuming that the scanner will not deform the sheet), it would be the easier way. Then you can isolate the letter from the rest of the sheet in the picture and print this only as above.

The best solution would be to look around for a suitable letter, try to add a post in the buy/sell section, someone might have the right decals.

You can however print your own serial number if this is black, as black ink/toner will cover the model paint well. Again, better scan the decal sheet and increase the size, keeping in mind that:

- you want a perfectly clear background, so you want to end with a black serial over a white background

- if you work with bitmaps, scaling up means a reduction in resolution, so try to avoid pixelation on your artwork

Edited by Giorgio N

Xtradecal makes a sheet of Medium Sea Grey RAF codes, 24- and 30 inches (sorry -- that's how the RAF measured things): X-48022. They're available in quantity at Hannants.

Xtradecal also makes RAF serials, again available in quantity at Hannants: X-48044.

Edited by pnmoss

I think Skids offer above is very kind indeed and I`d bite his hand off if I was you!

When I build my model of McKnights Hurri using the Hasegawa kit I was stuck for correct letters as the available after market decal sheets were incorrect so I had to mask them off on the model and paint them on myself, so that's probably a final option. Here is the model;

HurriI-48th.jpg

Imagine how hacked off I was when Italeri chose to portray this scheme!!

Cheers

Tony O

I think Skids offer above is very kind indeed and I`d bite his hand off if I was you!

When I build my model of McKnights Hurri using the Hasegawa kit I was stuck for correct letters as the available after market decal sheets were incorrect so I had to mask them off on the model and paint them on myself, so that's probably a final option. Here is the model;

HurriI-48th.jpg

Imagine how hacked off I was when Italeri chose to portray this scheme!!

Cheers

Tony O

Nice Job Tony

Nice Hurricane Tony.

Best looking plane.......ever imho

I agree with you about the Hurricane, its my all time favourite aircraft and I`m glad that you like the model too. It was the first time that I`ve painted the codes on (by brush of course,...who needs an airbrush!) and despite much trepidation it was pretty easy really!

All the best

Tony O

When I build my model of McKnights Hurri using the Hasegawa kit I was stuck for correct letters as the available after market decal sheets were incorrect so I had to mask them off on the model and paint them on myself, so that's probably a final option.

Cheers

Tony O

Very nice work, Tony. As for LE-D, the pictures I've seen of it show smaller codes, so I'm thinking the Xtradecals I mentioned above may actually serve.