Westland Wessex HU.5 Italeri 1/48

Absolutely awesome. The Wessex was the first helicopter I ever set foot in when I visited my Uncle in Akroteri in late '89. Blimey, it might even have been that one!!

Great Job!!!!

• 6 months later...

This is a brilliant build, the best Wessex I have ever seen! I have used is as a reference for mine.

However, after spending three hours of masking, I just checked a photo of the real thing. And it seems as if the colours are mixed up, the green is where the grey should be. I am not completely sure about this individual, but Italeri's painting guide also states this- however they have used dark grey for the grey and light grey for the green which also made me think that this model was correct.

This is not meant to be criticism, I just want to help other Wessex builders to avoid the same mistake as I did. (Fortunately, I discovered it before I started painting.)

• Like 1

Hello,Arkady72 - I guess the other posts have just about exhausted all the superlatives already,so I will just add that it's hard to tell whether I'm looking at a model or the real thing.I would be immensely proud of that.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

I keep coming back to look at this one. I am attempting to paint a RAF Phantom using exactly the same paints but the Dark Sea Grey does doesn't look right compared to Artur's Wessex! More black magic from the Master I reckon.

Duncan B

Stunning Wessex you should be proud of it :goodjob: This kit was on my wish list but I might wait for the 1/32 one that's due.

Guy

Guys, I am about to finish the same model in a couple of weeks, so please let's stop commenting on this one so it won't make mine look like crap when I post it, LOL

Just kidding... :banghead:

Another absolutely amazing model by Arkady72 - it definitely inspired me to buy the Italeri model and build it. Hopefully it will turn out 1/10th as good as this one!

Best,

Ricardo

• 4 weeks later...

Real nice OOB, you've really captured the 'in service' look of the Wessex.

Two small observations, one is the tail wheel, did you have trouble?

The other is the 'rust' weathering under the cockpit area starboard side, never seen a Wessex rust before. All that Mag alloy and Aluminium skin.

Two small observations, one is the tail wheel, did you have trouble?

The other is the 'rust' weathering under the cockpit area starboard side, never seen a Wessex rust before. All that Mag alloy and Aluminium skin.

Tail wheel OK, no any troubles.

Regarding "rust" :) I did not used rust color, it is grime streaks. You can see examples on many helicopters. Maybe mine is not perfect...

11986990_952454068129907_171122562229270

ZD636-Royal-Navy-Westland-WS-61-Sea-King

Tail wheel OK, no any troubles.

Regarding "rust" :) I did not used rust color, it is grime streaks. You can see examples on many helicopters. Maybe mine is not perfect...

11986990_952454068129907_171122562229270

ZD636-Royal-Navy-Westland-WS-61-Sea-King

'Rusty grime' effect looks fine, it is actually mainly old hydraulic fluid leaking out of drains and other orifices which a bit of oil, fuel and general other crap mixed in.

Nice Wessie all the same! :D

• 4 years later...