1/48 Tamiya Mustang III build, first WIP

Val

Yeah, it is a great kit of an awesome kite! :)

Which ones did you get? I did not find an awful lot of decals for it..

Got these ones mate:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TM48002

They are 315 squadron, so will be carrying where the kit decals left off. The camo pattern looks slightly different from the picture though as I just copied the Tamiya instructions. They, to be fair, could be wrong, but I don't think I'll correct it, it looks good enough for me, and I'll probably make more problems trying to correct it :)

Cheers,

Val

The camo pattern looks slightly different from the picture though as I just copied the Tamiya instructions. They, to be fair, could be wrong, but I don't think I'll correct it, it looks good enough for me, and I'll probably make more problems trying to correct it :)

Cheers,

Val

Don't fix something that's not broken, the camo looks real good with just perfect amount of feathering between the colors in my eyes.

• Like 1

Don't fix something that's not broken, the camo looks real good with just perfect amount of feathering between the colors in my eyes.

Ditto to that! I really like the effect you've achieved :goodjob:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi there Friends,

It’s been a long time since this thread has been updated, I’m certainly no ninja at building! I wish I could build as quickly as I can buy them… Anyway, hope the pictures are ok? I’m using my brand new DSLR which my Dad has passed down to me since he has upgraded. I’ve not learnt how to use it properly yet, not that I was any good at photography anyway, so I stuck the models outside in the sun and put the camera on Auto…. So let’s see what I’ve got!!

DSCF5698_zps1b0107e8.jpg

DSCF5697_zps5ced0ac5.jpg

First thing you may or may not notice is the starboard side fuselage decal is a lot brighter than the port.... I had the option of Techmod or Tamiya decals, and opted to stick with Tamiya for the time being. Basically, the Tamiya decals were horrid. They took about ten minutes in warm water to move off the backing paper, at which point they cracked. I get most of them down bar a “chip” here and there, except the starboard side roundel. The starboard side roundel was lost, however, and I had to use a Techmod decal. Talk about contrast! These things were off the backing paper in about ten seconds flat, with cracks and all sorts going on! I would say, when I got it on to the model and in place, it was beautiful, and hence the contrast in colours.

DSCF5699_zps5b5f6611.jpg

DSCF5695_zpsbd316e9e.jpg

DSCF5693_zps277a686b.jpg

DSCF5694_zpsb66235e1.jpg

DSCF5710_zpsa5c53b1c.jpg

11def256-dbfd-4ac0-85a2-7d446c891eaf_zps

Weather process was basically Alclad Aqua gloss, Flory Dark Dirt wash, Alclad Aqua gloss, oils (dotted and streaked back), chipping with good ol’ Humbrol 11 mixed with raw umber oil, Alclad Matt Kote, and that’s where we are. Even with a good gloss coat, this decal peeled off with tamiya masking tape:

DSCF5696_zps8652f5d4.jpg

I added a few chips to make it look like chipping but unsure whether to try and put a techmod decal over the top, touch it in with a similar paint or just leave it. I'm inclined to leave it, but not sure if whether actually happened like that, and not sure if I'm that bothered about that either!! :)

• Like 1

Now, the wheel wells I was really pleased with, and basically I used a thin coat of Vallejo interior green built up over a black undercoat, then drybrushed with a lighter mix of this green. Then I picked out a couple of details, and drybrushed again with silver, but tried to be reserved about it. Finally, a wash of raw umber and black oils was quickly done after a gloss coat (Alclad Aqua, same time as the rest of the model).

DSCF5700_zpsfebe52a0.jpg

Now, the wheel wells I was really pleased with, and basically I used a thin coat of Vallejo interior green built up over a black undercoat, then drybrushed with a lighter mix of this green. Then I picked out a couple of details, and drybrushed again with silver, but tried to be reserved about it. Finally, a wash of raw umber and black oils was quickly done after a gloss coat (Alclad Aqua, same time as the rest of the model).

And here are the other bits which are to be, probably quite badly, stuck to the model!

DSCF5712_zps7e73227b.jpg

DSCF5711_zpsa0dc8b55.jpg

The end is in site! I'm currently working on props and wheels, which are resin replacements - I wasn't happy with what I'd done with the props and got some more, and thought I'd get some wheels while I was at it, and will give the Tamiya wheels to my Revell kit, they look hopeless!!

Advice is strongly welcomed as always, happy modelling!!

Val

• Like 3

You might be slow, but you sure are good! :goodjob: I wouldn't bother about the roundel, maybe some more chipping and a good desaturation.

Love the wheels well, might try this technique onmy next aircraft model (which is going to be a REGGIANE RE2002)

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks all, very kind of you :)

... I wouldn't bother about the roundel, maybe some more chipping and a good desaturation....

Love the wheels well, might try this technique onmy next aircraft model (which is going to be a REGGIANE RE2002)

Yeah I think that's what I'll do, rather than start messing around with another decal which may or may not match the other side. Looking forward to seeing the Reggiane RE2002 :)

Thanks,

Val

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been sometime to say the least! In fact I struggled to find the build thread!! But she's all done now....

DSCF6324_zpsc1cd8d56.jpg
I hope you like her :)

Link to the gallery will be below in a minute once I've got it up and running!

Thanks for the help and encouragement, it really means a lot.

Val

• Like 2