1/48 Tamiya Mustang III build, first WIP

Val

Hi all,

This is a WIP, and it's my Tamiya 1/48 Mustang III, as you've probably guessed by the title!!

I'm doing this as part of the group build on Flory Models, and thought I'd share it here as well to get involved. This will be my forth or fifth model since returning to the hobby. I am yet to complete a model I'm actually happy with!! I'm also 9/10ths through an old model 1/72 airfix GR7, which doesn't seem to want to get finished, and is a real pig in places. I'm also 3/4 through an Airfix Sabre which is a joy in comparison. This kit is a different world though, the fit is so good it's nearly a snap together kit with wonderful detail. The panel lines on the underside are very soft though as I guess the molds must be getting old.

I've finished the interior so far and glued her up, although I've not got picks of this stage so far.

Here's the box pic, although I'm sure most of you are considerably more familiar with this kit than me:

DSCF6055.jpg

and here is my interior:

IMG_1367_zps64cd571d.jpg

IMG_1369_zpsb3a1047c.jpg

IMG_1371_zps8ae53db9.jpg

IMG_1373_zps3151356b.jpg

IMG_1376_zps9e3022f2.jpg

Basically I primed the interior with XF-1 flat black and used a heavily thinned Vallejo Interior Green which hopefully gave the model some shadows. This was then dry brushed with a lighter green. The rest was brush painted with Vallejo paints and the silver is Citadel, given an oil wash which you can't really see, and the floor was given some pigment. The seat belts are Tamiya tape and fuse wire.

That's it so far. Also, I'm not a fast builder, apologies in advance for that!!

I took the pics on my iPhone as I couldn't find my camera lead, but the pics would have been ok if I focused them properly!

I'm here to learn, so please give me as much advice as possible, will be warmly received as I'm new to this. I'm not that bothered about accuracy, close enough will do, but would be interested to learn about correct colours/shapes for the future (I'll do another one of these kits, they're great!).

Thanks guys,

Val

• Like 4

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Nothing much to report atm, mainly masking the clear parts in preparation for the paint, where disaster struck! I slipped whilst masking the main canopy and scratched the front glass area. I sanded the scratch out, polished it and dipped it and it's at about 98% what it was pre-slip, so got away with it just about.

More to follow soon :)

Thanks mate, I hope so, really pleased how the cockpit came out. Fingers crossed the rest of the plane will follow! The Spit VII looks a great little kit, can't wait to get stuck into it!

• 1 month later...

Cool! The kit is a dream, it falls together, the only areas I've had problems with are purely as a result of my own lack of ability!! I've been busy have stuff done to the house lately so not done anything to it for a couple of months, but hoping I'll get some primer on her this weekend/next week. I'm also doing a degree in my spare time, so that cuts into modelling time unfortunately...

Hi all,

So, I managed to get some paint down over the weekend; only primer and pre-shading, lots of work but she's gradually taking shape!!

Here are some pics:

IMG_1553_zps1ff347f6.jpg

IMG_1537_zps12ceaea2.jpg

IMG_1535_zpsa41494e2.jpg

So, that's about it for the mo, please jump in with comments and tips, they will be warmly received!!

Thanks,

Val

• Like 3

Thanks :) yes me too, I've got the white and sky bands painted, so need to mask them up, and with a bit of luck I'll have the underside painted sometime this week.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

A minor update, but I have the underside painted:

null_zps718396ff.jpg

null_zps30ffb20f.jpg

null_zpsbe783ca8.jpg

null_zps76e9874f.jpg

That's about it for the mo. I have spent quite a bit of time on this model, but I have made a right meal out of the spinner and props. I wasn't happy with the white paint on the spinners, and ended up stripping and re-painting the spinner about 3 times. Then I put the wrong stuff on the spinner and melted the plastic... Thus I had to re-shape it, then repainted, then left a brownish thumb print in it, and repainted once again. That's where I'm up to know, but I have to repaint the blades as they have got a bit marked in the whole story. Something so simple.... well, it's all a learning curve I guess. When the rest of the plane is done, I might consider replacing the spinner and blades with a resin set, I think ultracast do one, if the spinner doesn't look right.

So that's where I'm up to. Hopefully I'll get a bit more done soon.

Cheers,

V

• Like 3

Hey Val,

the preshadding works great!

If your spinner & blades doesn´t work, I can send you a Tamiya one. I have replaced it on my P-51B.

Give me a PM if you want it.

Peter

Edited by Knaupel
  • Like 1