McDonnell Douglas RF-101C, Voodoo

Hi everyone, thought I could show you my attempt at making a recce version of the Voodoo from the old Monogram kit

tLFQ19F.jpg

Used the Koster Conversion which has vac-form front end from behind the canopy

9qSnspI.jpg

vac-form ecm pods and resin exhausts

QNXtAXU.jpg

the markings are bogus, made from bits and pieces from the stash as none come with the conversion

vzednxS.jpg

but tried to get as near as possible

d9UFOy5.jpg

This is my only success at anything Vac-form, which says more about the quality of the conversion than my modelling prowess :smile:

iK1gRLz.jpg

hope you enjoy looking at..

Cheers Russ 

• Like 11

Russ, I'm impressed by your production rate! Seems to be about 20 times my own rate... You consistently build the sort of kits/planes that appeal to me, too - including this Vietnam-era Voodoo. Lovely paintwork, very realistic. I had an idea that there was at least one off the shelf kit of the recce version - ? Been sort of casually looking for one for a while. But now I've heard about this Koster conversion I might check that out as a possibility.

Congratulations, excellent effort.

Tony

• Like 1

Luverly jubbley...love the century series. How was the conversion? Had a look at the Koster reviews and it looks comprehensive, just a lack of decals to assist. Seen some nice schemes on the 1/72 hasegawa offering over the years like operation sun run or USAFE.

Bout time a Far East company gets this jet on their production list

• Like 1

You can never have enough Long Birds ...

Very nice. How did you do the soft-edged camouflage?

Thanks, the camo` was done with a chopped off old brush and sort of `shuffled` some thinnish paint round the pattern once the main coats were dry.

Jeez Russ, you are cranking these things out pretty fast! Good job.

Thanks for looking, actually it`s an older build, I was going to add that to the post but since the site update I don`t seem to be able to edit posts, New one next I promise !

Luverly jubbley...love the century series. How was the conversion? Had a look at the Koster reviews and it looks comprehensive, just a lack of decals to assist. Seen some nice schemes on the 1/72 hasegawa offering over the years like operation sun run or USAFE.

Bout time a Far East company gets this jet on their production list

Cheers, the conversion was very good, it`s was only my second attempt at anything vac form and the only thing that`s ever turned out.

As a lover of the Voodoo, that is veeerrrry nice.

The only point I would make, and it's not a criticism, the Monogram kit being a 'B' model, needs further modification. The intakes slope forward on the 'B', but are straight/vertical on the A and C models. All to do with the different variant J-57 in the 'B'

• Like 1