1/48 - Lockheed F-104 Starfighter update/detailing set by DACO - released

Homebee

Nearly 5 (?) years after its first announcement the DACO 1/48th injected F-104 super update/detailing set (http://ultra.glo.be/daco/KDCC4802.html) dedicated to the Hasegawa's Starfighter kit seems in progress. The first test shots are now in the hands of Mister DACO, Danny Coremans.

No release date yet but it will be probably available at Telford's SMW 2013.

Sources:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=259842

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=259844

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Danny is certainly a very busy man! I think this will be worth the wait, not sure what the projected ££ is though?

Source: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=259844

It will be one set, as in the end this will be a lot cheaper than breaking it up in various sets: Just one production (no costs of closing off items in the sprues), one box (not 5 different ones), one instruction booklet, one item to stock (so no guessing which of the 5 I have to produce more and no risk of ending with unsold stock of a 'not so popular' version), ...

So YES, you'll have a lot of parts that you won't use, but the price of the plastic itself is only a small part of the whole cost.I think I can state you probably will be paying the same price for a broken down set than for this full set ... and no, it won't be costing you your leg or arm...

Danny

DACO Products

I still hope to be able to sell it at a price around 35.00 to 39.95 euro for the whole set, but I've no idea yet of 'todays' plastic price.

The sprues with the wings will also be available separate, and probably the sprues with the fuel tanks too. These will be available at 10.00 to 12.50 euro per twin sprue.

I try to keep the prices reasonable, not expecting to make much money with it. My only hope is that I'll be able recuperate the invested money, than I'm happy already (it's a hobby, for me too)

Danny

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I will certainly acquire a set. Not only for the various stores, pylons details etc. but not at least for flying surfaces without the myriad of rivet holes that Hasegawa gives us.

Nils

• 1 year later...

Released:

http://www.dacoproducts.com/KDCC4802.php

Hello

With this newsletter I would like to announce proudly that the sea container containing the F-104 Improvement Sets has been dropped off at my office earlier today.

While the first pre-orders have been send out already and if you already have it pre-ordered during the past week: thanks, your order is going to be mailed out during coming week, but maybe you haven't and you have anxious been waiting for the release of these kits too!

For the *F-104 Improvement Set* this means the end result of 7 years of measuring, designing, tooling and patiently waiting, but boy what is it

nice! The investment was huge, I probably would never done it if I would have known the final pricetag at the start (for example the different

helmets have cost me 5000 euro to design & tool). But your investment is not so high: only 40.00 euro for one FULL set containing over 500 parts.

The sprues with the Wings and with the Fueltanks are also available as separate item for 12.50 euro each. Discounts are given when ordering higher quantities.(...)

Have a look at all of them on my *NEW website*, which has now a very handy shopping basket integrated so you can order these and other DACO items directly from this website.

=> http://www.dacoproducts.com

It will give you automaticly the various postage prices and total for your order, so it's no longer needed to request these by email.

f104sprues3m.jpg

Thanks & ​ Best Regards

Danny Coremans

DACO Products

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 1 month later...

I do commend Danny for bringing out this correction set but I do have a worry that he may not recoup the investment he has clearly put into this project, both in terms of time and money. I suspect (but may be wrong) that many modellers have now 'moved on' from their Hasegawa F-104 Starfighter projects, either because they have already built the kit straight from the box, utilized the previously available Cutting Edge (and other) improvement sets or just done the mods (rivet filling etc) themselves. Others will have decided to move up a scale and tackle the 'unbuildable' :winkgrin: Italeri 1:32 scale kit. I fear the DACO set just maybe 5-6 years too late although I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong and I will be investing in one or two more myself and probably several more of the wing sets. As Danny has hinted at, this improvement set became a bit of an obsession but therein lies the dilemma for manufacturers, particularly those in the aftermarket or 'cottage' industry - getting the balance right between absolute 100% accuracy and marketability. Its a dichotomy many of these manufacturers face in this increasingly demanding market where you are damned if you 'rush' something out that is subsequently proven not to be 100% accurate or you are pilloried for not getting it out quickly enough !. As I say, I do hope that Danny reaps his just rewards from this set - the mouldings are absolutely first class and the attention to detail is stunning. Highly recommended to those of you that have been patiently waiting for the right set to produce a true exhibition standard 1:48 F-104 Starfighter.

Mark :coolio:

And so am I!!

One each Belgian AF and German Marine. Order into Danny yesterday just waiting for payment information. His photobook is pretty amazing as well....and the decals....with hundreds of stencils.

Now I need to find markings for the Viking pair who stole the show at a wet and overcast Mildenhall back in the 80s.