Tamiya Mark Fit - any tips on using it?

cheeley

I haven't used a decal setting solution before, I usually just make sure the surface is gloss, then give them a coating of gloss varnish that pulls the decals down into panel lines etc. However I'm going to use an instrument panel decal on my latest build, so I thought I'd try a decal setting solution. The LHS doesn't have microsol, which was going to be my first choice, so I was steered towards some Tamiya Mark Fit.

I'm just wondering, how best to use it. The instructions at that link say to press down on it after giving the decal a coating. I've never used microsol, but everything I've read about it says to put the solution on & then leave it well alone so that it wrinkles up & then settles into the nooks and crannies. I don't want to ruin my decal, so I was wondering if anyone has tried this product and can give some pointers?

cheers

Chris

Well, no advice was forthcoming so I flew by the seat of my pants. First I cut the decal up into 3 bits that had all the dials on. I put some of the softener on the part, banged the sections of decal over the top & gave them a dab of softener on top of that. Gave it a minute then pressed it down with a cotton rag. It seemed OK, a couple of the dials weren't that snug so I dropped a bit more on , gave it another minute and repeated the process.

The end result looks OK, I probably need a flat coat to seal & give na even finish & then pick out some of the bezels in colour to tidy it up.

DSCF2561.jpg

Chris

I don't use any decal setting solution at all.......After giving a coat of Klear, and after letting it dry for a few hours, I just add a few drops of vinegar to the water.

It softens the decals and adapt them to the surface detail. The only negative thing here is the smell that vinegar leaves in the room :) :)

Needless to say, the final result depends on the quality of the decals to be used.....Bad quality decals won't benefit at all from the use of any setting solution.

Best regards...

Edited by Artie

HI Artie, I did try vinegar once before, but it didn't seem to soften anything and just made me want to get a bag of chips for my supper :eat:

Chris

Well, it's worked for me before......I've got a few tinlets of Humbrol's Decal Setting solition that I seldom use, but I find them a good choice too.

Regarding the bag of chips, it drives us naturally to a pint of beer, wich takes us to a second one, and then to a third, and we stop modelling.....

So maybe you're right....Don't use vinegar if you want to keep on modelling for the whole evening :) :) :)

Cheers.....