Mr Surfacer or Candy Floss

moosequito

Hi

I am new to airbrushing and have finaly finished building an Airfix Lynx to try my airbrush on. I have never used Mr surfacer before but have read many build articles where it has been used so thought I would give it a try. On testing it through my airbrush it came out like candy floss and covered everything in a spider web type material.

Any ideas why this happened?

Cheers, Matt.

hope you thinned it well down with lacquer thinner. :whistle:  preferably mr color levelling thinner. as it comes out of the jar it is ok for applying with a toothpick type thing or one of those hairy brush thingumys to local areas only. it is FAR to thick to airbrush. it also comes ready to spray (or decant off for use in an airbrush) in a rattle can

Edited by noeyedears

I too wouldn't recommend spraying the 500 even if it has been thinned, stick to 1000 or 1200 or an out of the bottle solution would be Alclads grey primer.

I've sprayed with both their levelling thinner, normal thinner and Tamiyas yellow cap thinner with no problems at all, but I have read the spiders web effect can happen with their normal thinner. I'm guessing Phil has it in that its a case of under thinning.

I used Mr Surfacer 1200 on a resin kit that millions of tiny pin holes in a it's wings, I thinned it with Mr Color thinner roughly a 50:50 mix, this airbrushed well at about 15 psi, but I have also applied it with a brush (straight no thinning) and a cocktail stick, it works just as well that way.

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

hope you thinned it well down with lacquer thinner. :whistle: preferably mr color levelling thinner. as it comes out of the jar it is ok for applying with a toothpick type thing or one of those hairy brush thingumys to local areas only. it is FAR to thick to airbrush. it also comes ready to spray (or decant off for use in an airbrush) in a rattle can

I tried decanting from an aerosol and got spiders webs so I think it still needs some thinning even if decanted, don't ask me why as it does spray perfectly from the rattle can!

Duncan B

Apparently, not all hardware store lacquer or cellulose thinners are the same. I had exactly the same problem when thinning Mr Surfacer with my local hardware store lacquer thinner. When I got it thin enough to stop the candy floss, it would dry partially in mid-air resulting in a powdery finish on the surface.

All my problems went away when I started using Mr Leveling thinners. However, I believe Tamiya lacquer thinner also work well with Mr Surfacer. Just be careful: Tamiya makes three types of thinner - Lacquer, Enamel and Acrylic. You want the lacquer thinner. My first choice will still be the Mr Levelling Thinner though. It results in a beautiful, smooth painted surface, yet it dries more than fast enough.