My entry for this GB is the Eduard FW190A-7. This will be a straight OOB build. I've chosen the aircraft shown on the box top painting, from JG 1 based at Dortmund in January 1944. It should be quite distinctive as it has a black and white striped cowling.

Rather than post my pathetic attempts at photographing the sprues, I'll direct you to Mike's excellent review of this kit.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234915078

Although this is an OOB build, it's not going to be exactly straightforward. The Eduard 190s are quite tricky to build. I have made the attempt three times and never quite completed any - I have two in the KUTA build which aren't progressing at all. I'm hoping that once this one picks up some steam, it will drag the others in its wake.

Well.... that's the plan anyway. ;) Wish me luck! :)

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 2

I ordered the Quickboost cowling. It's excellent and will make a major difference to the distinctive front end of the aircraft. There is actually nothing wrong with the Eduard parts - it's just that it is split into four parts and is very difficult to assemble square and without losing any details when sanded down to get rid of the inevitable joint lines.

001_zps883668ec.jpg

This is the cockpit. The paint is Lifecolor UA133 RLM66. I haven't yet added the rudder pedals. The seat won't go in until right at the end of the build.

002_zps7f651179.jpg

The undercarriage bay. Paint is Lifecolor UA504 RLM02. I've been a teensy bit overenthusiastic with the weathering... :D The worst of it won't show when the wing is closed up, but I'll still tone it down a bit.

003_zpsb6a92bd8.jpg

If you are going to have the cowling closed I showed in the Close Air Support GB how to build the Eduard 190 leaving out lots of the engine bearers (and half the engine), which makes the front end a lot easier :winkgrin:

nodnodnod I shall definitely be doing that. I like an easy life. :D

Use of the Quickboost cowling also renders all the Eduard exhaust pipes redundant.

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated this thread for a while. Quite a bit has happened.

Firstly, the airframe, which went together far better than my previous (as yet unfinished) attempt to build an Eduard FW190. The assembly is rather tricky, but with care and a lot of trial fitting a good result can be had.

004.jpg

Windscreen on and masked. Cockpit and undercarriage bays also masked.

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

I first primed with Alclad2 grey primer and then sprayed Xtracrylix XA1208 Lichtblau RLM76. I've also sprayed the upper wings and patches of the upper nose in Xtracrylix XA1207 Grauviolett RLM 75.

008.jpg

009.jpg

Camouflage completed. The remaining colour is Xtracrylix XA1206 Graugrun RLM 74.

The tail band was sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1217 Rot RLM23. However I know from bitter experience that this paint is very translucent indeed. By the time you have sprayed enough coats to get a decent coverage, you end up with a lip of paint against the edge of the mask which is the height of the White Cliffs of Dover! So... I primed the band with Lifecolor UA702 Rust Base Color, which worked really well.

The Quickboost cowling has been sprayed with Alclad2 white primer, which also acts as a top coat.

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

This one is gooing fast now. She looks good. I can't wait to see her with some decals on. I have always liked the JG1 versions with the stripes and Checkered cowlings.

Are you gonna paint the stripes or do you use the decals?!

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

i like it - but it looks odd - its my eyes nothing more I know, just something - maybe its the lack of prop or the start black & white (please note that is my eyes, no comment on your build which is superb as always).... looking forward to more on this

• Like 1

i like it - but it looks odd - its my eyes nothing more I know, just something - maybe its the lack of prop or the start black & white

It does look odd. I think the reason is that the armoured cowling ring isn't yet fitted, so the hole at the front of the cowling appears way too big.

I was reading through this post and noted the question as to whether you were going to paint the stripes?

I thought, "If any one can do it, Enzo can." And there they are. Wonderful.

Edited by Deacon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So minor detail painting carried out with the panels behind the exhausts sprayed with Alclad2 Exhaust Manifold. I have also highlighted some panel lines using Mig Cold Grey Wash. Another couple of light coats of Klear, some polishing and we'll be ready for the decals next weekend.

014.jpg