1:72 Airfix P-51D Mustang 44-14722 G4-N "Temptation" 357th FG, 363rd FS

You're doing a very nice job mate with your Mustang.

BTW, Your kit's sprues look OK, especially the wings.

Now, why my Airfix kits have bended wings? Is it the packaging or the quality of the plastic Airfix is using??

I have a Hawk, Sabre, and Harrier, and all of them have this issue with their wings.

Anyway, looking forward to see your Mustang finished!

Cheers

Sernak

Edited by Sernak

Thanks guys

You're doing a very nice job mate with your Mustang.

BTW, Your kit's sprues look OK, especially the wings.

Now, why my Airfix kits have bended wings? Is it the packaging or the quality of the plastic Airfix is using??

I have a Hawk, Sabre, and Harrier, and all of them have this issue with their wings.

Anyway, looking forward to see your Mustang finished!

Cheers

Sernak

Thanks Sernak

But it is finished and had been for a day before your post :)

Yes the wings were fine, a bit big in one dimensions, but for me the issues were the fuselage was bent like a banana and the undercarriage legs are a bit on the weak side and also are bent.

Thanks guys

Thanks Sernak

But it is finished and had been for a day before your post :)

Yes the wings were fine, a bit big in one dimensions, but for me the issues were the fuselage was bent like a banana and the undercarriage legs are a bit on the weak side and also are bent.

We should sent a letter or email to Airfix about this matter. I've been hearing the same comments from other fellow scale modellers about the quality of Airfix's kits.

It probably has to do with the quality of the plastic they're using or here's a thought; their might be a chance that the sprues are coming out of their molds with the wrong temperature - probably higher than it should be - and this might be the reason why we all have kits with some parts such as the wings or fuselage in a bended form.

I remember that we used to complaint about Airfix kits' quality (cockpit, landing gear, etc) back in the 90s and now that they have managed to produce some excellent kits there is an issue with their plastic!!!

• 11 months later...

hi ya , just got this model , just wondering what colours you used to Prime and preshade it before main coat

Primer was probably one of the Tamiya Greys. Preshading was done using a pen from the from the Faber Castell Shades of Grey series. These are water based (not spirit) artist pens.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Sernak

Hi mate,

Are you talking about *just* the Airfix P-51 (but more than one) or all your Airfix kits of whatever subjecct.

I have five of the P-51, one finished, one under construction and three in the stash. All are perfect as far as I can see *except* the finished one has a short shot on the fuselage just in front of the tail wheel which i repaired with a chunk of sprue.

No two kits were bought at the same time, and they're from three different shops and presumably made of the same plastic and packaged the same way as yours.

If I were you I'd take a digital photo and email it to Airfix who are brilliant with their customer service AND tell them were you bought them and when - it may help them improve their manufacture or distribution if they can gather that sort of information

Shane

If I were you I'd take a digital photo and email it to Airfix who are brilliant with their customer service AND tell them were you bought them and when - it may help them improve their manufacture or distribution if they can gather that sort of information

Shane

Hi Shane,

You are absolutely right lad.

I should had taken some photos of the bended parts and email them to Airfix.

Cheers