Revell 1/32 DH Sea Venom in RAN colours

Second model for the year completed. Again this one has been ~90 % complete for the last 18 months or so. Built straight out of the box with brush painted Tamiya acrylics. Not one of my best, but then again not one of my worst either  :) . Thanks for looking.

seavenom_1_zps5fa5f855.jpg

seavenom_2_zps42070afe.jpg

seavenom_3_zpsb67e10e2.jpg

seavenom_4_zps6da198bb.jpg

seavenom_5_zps16b84805.jpg

seavenom_6_zpsfb0a8fb0.jpg

• Like 7

That's how a peactime naval kite should look,nice,clean and tidy.

She's just a smidge on the too glossy side,a light squirt of matt varnish would

just tone her down to give a more realistic finish,but apart from that you've

done a great job with a bit of a rascally kit.

Danielle(Venomvixen)will love this one.

Thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated - this one was a bit of struggle and I thought I wasn't going to finish it.

That's rather nice!

How did you find brushing Tamiya paints over such a large area. I don't like them at all!

Trevor

Patience - and a reasonably large brush :) I actually prefer them to enamels.

That's how a peactime naval kite should look,nice,clean and tidy.

She's just a smidge on the too glossy side,a light squirt of matt varnish would

just tone her down to give a more realistic finish,but apart from that you've

done a great job with a bit of a rascally kit.

Danielle(Venomvixen)will love this one.

Miggers you are undoubtedly right about the gloss, however considering my struggles with this one I thought I would quit while I was ahead!

stuuning build of a kit thats showing its age

what did you use to gloss it?

I have been using the same bottle of floor polish for the last 6 years - Pascoes Long Life Self Shining Floor Polish. Its a milky coloured liquid that I apply thinly with a reasonably large flat brush. A couple of coats gives a nice even gloss. Not sure if its the same as "Future" but it does the job for me.

Not bad at all.

I would support the to glossy comment, perhaps a coat of satin clear would be better.

The radome is perfect, RAN Sea Venom radomes were polished with a godawful substance called "Raven oil" to produce a high shine.

Yours has captured that extremely well.

Steve L

(Restoring Sea Venoms since 1980)

Many thanks for all the feedback. Point taken concerning the gloss finish - she is sitting on a shelf at the office at the moment, one quiet day I will sneak in with some matt varnish and fix it up. 

Many thanks for all the feedback. Point taken concerning the gloss finish - she is sitting on a shelf at the office at the moment, one quiet day I will sneak in with some matt varnish and fix it up. 

Satin varnish, definitely not matt.

Satin varnish, definitely not matt.

I have found with Humbrol MattCote that if I don't stir it thoroughly and I apply just one thin coat to an already shiny surface I get a very nice satin effect. Cheers.

Nice, clean and crisp. Perhaps it is a bit too glossy to be strictly realistic--but frankly, I think the overall look is very pleasing and would be proud to have a model like that in my collection. Refreshing and very well done sir.

It is funny how modelers judge realism. A grossly overdone shading job is almost always universally applauded, even though such a finish bears very little resemblance to reality, yet dare to make a model "too clean" or "too shiny" and any number will criticize it. Fashion is a powerful force. You have clearly flown in the face of what is fashionable today. Bravo!!!

Nice, clean and crisp. Perhaps it is a bit too glossy to be strictly realistic--but frankly, I think the overall look is very pleasing and would be proud to have a model like that in my collection. Refreshing and very well done sir.

It is funny how modelers judge realism. A grossly overdone shading job is almost always universally applauded, even though such a finish bears very little resemblance to reality, yet dare to make a model "too clean" or "too shiny" and any number will criticize it. Fashion is a powerful force. You have clearly flown in the face of what is fashionable today. Bravo!!!

Thanks. My daughter would say I fly in the face of fashion - but in her case I don't think that's a compliment :)