Type 45 Destroyer HMS Daring D32 (Airfix 1:350)

Hi everyone,

As the weather is cold and snowy outside, I have decided to make a start on my newly arrived Type 45 destroyer gift set from Airfix. Pictures will follow as the progress continues but so far I have completed stage 1 of this project by drilling the holes for the optional fit Harpoon missile launchers, refuelling probe and Phalanx guns which I will be installing....

I have added a poll to this thread to help me decide which ship to decal this as when the kit is closer to completion, so if everyone could pick an option, I would appreciate it.

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

I went with Dauntless: Just like the name really.....

Good luck with this one, & i hope it fits better than the Lusty you just fought with!!

I have actually been on Daring & Dauntless when they were open to the public in Portsmouth, but have been thinking about Dragon....

I am actually trying to find a picture of the interior of the Type 45 hangar as it would appear that Airfix have made a mistake with the colour of the flight deck and I need to know if the colour continues into the hangar....If anyone has one, please let me know....

I hope this goes together better than Lusty....

This any good Rick?

Just what I needed thanks Dave.

I will be able to get working when I have finshed watching a program about the construction of HMS Daring (D32) on Channel 4od - Building Britain's Ultimate Warship....its really interesting

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/building-britains-ultimate-warship/4od

I voted for Daring, as I suspect Dragon will be the popular choice due to it's bow artwork, and I like to back the underdog ;-)

I should be getting mine early next week (thanks to Mark j22mdr) and as my Illustrious is now on hold pending a response from Airfix regarding warped hull halves, this could be the next one up.

Edited by AntPhillips

Are you going to move the starboard anchor to its correct position? I quite like the Dragon tattoo on the bow. I think she kept it for a short while after acceptance so she could have been wearing the White Ensign.

Well after watching the 75 minute documentary about HMS Daring, I have made a start, but I have to say this model is nice.

It comes with all of the parts spread over 5 sprues. The model itself comes in a box with amazing art of one of these ships at high speed on the front, and HMS Daring turning to show her full profile on the reverse side with some pictures of the kit itself on the bottom edge. I have included pictures.

Box Front

DSCN0027_zpsff1ca77c.jpg

Box Rear

DSCN0028_zpsbe416d90.jpg

Helicopter Hanger & Flight Deck (Painted)

DSCN0034_zps5bbfcc71.jpg

As can be seen from the above picture I have painted the helicopter hangar and flight deck in the Medium Sea Grey colour prior to putting the decal in place and positioning the hangar walls etc. I have also drilled out the hole positions for the Harpoon launchers and refuelling probe on the foredeck using a very small 1.0 mm diameter drill bit.

I have not decided on a name for the ship yet, but I will be building the ship in the full hull mode as I did with Illustrious.

I won't include pictures of all 5 of the sprues as this has been done in the review thread.

I have actually been on Daring & Dauntless when they were open to the public in Portsmouth, but have been thinking about Dragon....

Then name your model kit either the Daring or the Dauntless so you would remember your good time having been onboard one of those, after all, when your friends look at your model kit and read the name HMS D.........., and say "Is that what it's called? Looks good." You can say "Yeah, I've been onboard her."

Pick one of the names that means much to you to remember the time you were on the ship.

I have decided to build the model as Daring or Dauntless....most likely Dauntless as I went on her with my wife at Navy Days in 2010.  But I also like the idea of 1st of class, so may end up decalling as Daring.

I will decide when the hull is completed. Thanks everyone for your input.

• Like 1

I am actually trying to find a picture of the interior of the Type 45 hangar as it would appear that Airfix have made a mistake with the colour of the flight deck and I need to know if the colour continues into the hangar....If anyone has one, please let me know....

another view ..my page of Diamond and Daring pics is here

http://falkeeinsmodel.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/remember-falklands-portsmouth-dockyard.html

daring5-1.jpg

Thanks for the pic FalkeEins.

I have just painted the next 6 pieces which form the walls of the hangar bay and boat garages. Pictures to follow when they are assembled (with the dreaded 1st decal placed as well).

• Like 1

Hi Ant,

Well I have glued the pieces I painted yesterday in place this morning, so the hangar deck is all complete except for the decal.

I have painted the two RHIBs for the boat garages along with the cranes and also painted the inside face of the boat garage walls.

I am going to come home from work tonight and glue all of these bits in place. There will then be a photo to put on this thread showing the progress.

Cheers,

Rick

Here is today's progress.

Stage 1 - Foredeck drilled with holes for harpoon launchers and refuelling probe.

foredeckwithholesdrilled_zps6fbb68ca.jpg

Stages 2 - 7 - Assembly of hangar deck and boat garages

Starboard boat garage

starboardboatgarage_zps6b6416b0.jpg

Port Boat Garage

portsideboatgarage_zps1afd1c3a.jpg

Hangar deck with walls and decal fitted

Hangardeckwithdecalandwallsinplace_zps31

Excuse the watermark on the flight deck, this is from the decal which would have been easier to put on before I put the walls of the hangar on. This should be covered by the rest of the flight deck decals, but I will probably paint over it and then apply ther rest of the decals.

Next stage is to paint and build the rear wall of the hangar and the hangar door. More progress over the weekend.