Type 23 Frigate Reference Photos

andrewa

Hm, tricky question without access to a whole raft of references that sadly now I've retired from the RN I no longer have.  The best I can come up with:

• The MOD 1 gun first appeared in 2005 and all ships were refitted by 2012 .  I don't know when Kent received hers 
  • The ASCG was first fitted to HMS SOMERSET in 2007 and was fitted to all T23s by 2014 but again, I don't know when KENT received hers but I'd bet it was in the same refit that she received the Kryten turret.
  • 996 was fitted to KENT at build and replaced with Type 997 in her 2016-18 refit
  • The Lynx HMA Mk 8 first started to replace the HAS Mk 3 in front line service in 1996 and all HMA Mk 8 conversions were completed by May 2002 although there was a mix of HAS Mk 3 and HMA Mk 8 until 2013 when the Mk 3 was finally retired.   Given that the remaining HAS Mk 3s were mainly used for 702 Sqn pilot training and in the Ice role with HMS ENDURANCE, I doubt if KENT ever carried a HAS Mk 3. I certainly can't find any evidence of it, the earliest known aircraft being an HMA Mk 8, ZD 257 in 2007.

So I would suggest that you'd be safe with a 996 radar plus either a MOD 0 turret and original 30 mm or MOD 1 turret and ASCG, but you'll have to replace the Lynx with a Mk 8.  Hope that helps

• 2 months later...

Those are/were not windbreaks - they were to minimise radar reflections from the missile control radar for Seawolf (there is/was another above the bridge).  When Seawolf is replaced by Sea Ceptor, with no dedicated missile control radar, there is no longer a requirement for them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Presumably there’s no way of seeing the opening photographs without that awful Photobucket logo plastered across them? Very irritating! Also, so many photos are very dark. Is this correct, or maybe it’s my computer (although other photos elsewhere on britmodeller look fine)?