Type 23 Frigate Reference Photos

andrewa

With Trumpeter releasing the whole class in the near future I thought there might be some interest in some detail shots of HMS Kent coming into Portsmouth and HMS Westminster and Northumberland departing.  these were all taken in 2010 so show typical fit from back then:

IMGP0575_zps10695ef1.jpg

IMGP0582_zpsa585b389.jpg

IMGP0576_zps72b0a0a6.jpg

IMGP0577_zps10c5916e.jpg

IMGP0578_zps9e69a137.jpg

IMGP0579_zps7a63365d.jpg

IMGP0580_zps6e7e27b7.jpg

IMGP0581_zpsfb0fc0ed.jpg

IMGP0584_zpsad8fe179.jpg

IMGP0583_zps3a47d7cc.jpg

IMGP0585_zps0995e02f.jpg

IMGP0586_zps71c76bf4.jpg

IMGP0587_zps310be04b.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent shots, I'm hoping to pick up a Trumpy Type 23 in the next few weeks, to go with the Airfix Illustrious and Type 45, we just need someone to do a nice Type 42 (short and long hull) to complement them.

...And perhaps an Albion/ Bulwark...

In 350 please Mr Airfix/Trumpy/Bronco...

Edited by rich2010

A few shots of HMS Lancaster when she was in Barrow for the launch of HMS Astute.

These have had their size reduced to conserve space on the site I use. The originals can contain detail which is affected by this so if there is anything you think you need to see in more detail, let me know and I will endeavour to get it.

Lancaster%2005-L.jpg

Lancaster%2007-L.jpg

Lancaster%2009-L.jpg

Edited by David J Ross

• 3 years later...

Thanks everyone who posted pics above. I'll be starting Trumpeter's HMS Westminster with Atlantic Models PE over the holidays and this reference thread will be my guide and inspiration!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm looking for some reference photos so I can move on with my Trumpeter's Kent build. I can't find a single picture of the quarterdeck/towed array area. The only image I've found is PAINTING of this part:

_80931547_quarterdeck-50cmx100cm,oilonli

There are some pictures and one youtube video showing the 2087 sonar and it's surroundings, but I'm building Kent before it was fitted with the 2087.

Also, I'm looking for any Type 23 dry dock pictures with sonar dome, lower hull or propulsion. And finally maybe someone know if there's any plan showing type's 23 rigging, due to perspective and small size IRL it's hard to tell where the cables are supposed to be attached. Any help will be greatly appreciate:)

Edited by bsod

2 hours ago, bsod said:

Also, I'm looking for any Type 23 dry dock pictures with sonar dome, lower hull or propulsion.

I wish you luck with getting those - MoD is very strict about any shots below the waterline being classified although I did see a dry dock shot of Illustrious in Navy News some time back

Yeah, those are always hard to find, there are only three on google images and the resolutions is rather low. I had more luck with towed array area, I've asked the same question on shipmodels.info and got the photos of Northumberland's quarterdeck before sonar refit. Maybe someone find it useful.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, SeanM said:

Anyone know why the back of the main mast is black?

It looks as though there's an exhaust duct on the aft face of the mast between the two radar(?) golf balls abaft the bridge. If that's the case I suspect that the black is to disguise the staining from the hot gases emitted from the duct.  Some of the images show discolouration of the paint on the sides of the mast adjacent to the aft face.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

It looks as though there's an exhaust duct on the aft face of the mast between the two radar(?) golf balls abaft the bridge. If that's the case I suspect that the black is to disguise the staining from the hot gases emitted from the duct.  Some of the images show discolouration of the paint on the sides of the mast adjacent to the aft face.

The exhaust for the two diesel generators located in the Forward Auxiliary Machinery Room are located on the main mast behind the black box. And yes the main mast does get sooty hence the black paint. On some of the ships this black band runs down to the level of the signal deck (see the photo of Lancaster above.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I've had the HMS Montrose for some time now, I can;t remember when I started building her, but it must be well over a year, the trouble is, I have a few health issues to deal with, a couple of serious problems, and then some others not so serious, and then there's my hands being one, or rather two of them, and because of the problem, I have trouble working with small fragile parts, like photo etch, and as there's quite a bit, especially on the mast, I've had to stop building, and it's a shame, as it's now been sitting for some time, and I'd love to be able to complete her, and so, does anyone have any tips or ideas as to how I might be able to get her completed, either somehow using the P/E parts, or is there some other way round my problem, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

• 11 months later...

Some Pictures of HMS Westminster, fitted with the Artisan Radar on the foremast replacing the 996, she is fitted with the Sea Ceptor missile

system replacing Seawolf, which involves the removal of the Weapon Directors on the Bridge and Hanger roof and replaced with the thimble radomes.

49535639737_02b061560a_5k.jpgHMS Westminster by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

49535408151_bd21ad3f91_5k.jpgHMS Westminster by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

49535638887_afc53850ce_5k.jpgHMS Westminster by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

49535638797_f27389d15c_3k.jpgHMS Westminster by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

49535407486_3793efca40_5k.jpgHMS Westminster by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I'm building HMS Kent (F78) from Trumpeter, the kit comes with an old MOD 0 gun, 996 radar and HAS 3 heli. I also have MOD 1 and DS30M MK2 aftermarket parts from Veteran Models. My question is if the following setup will be somehow accurate:

MOD 1 gun

DS30M MK2

996 radar

HAS 3 heli

I don't want to build it for any specific year, just wanted to make sure I'm not building something that never existed in real life:)